Shot my first .45 on Thursday

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
susan28

Re: Shot my first .45 on Thursday

Post by susan28 » 28 Dec 2008, 07:48

first 1911 i ever shot - and indeed first autopistol i ever shot - was a Delta Elite in 10mm, and that sold me on both the gun and the calibre (i'd theretofore only shot my .357 Taurus revolver for the past 15 years but decided to go pistol shopping when the AWB expired and i like the OP was gun and calibre shopping). nothing racy but had the kinks ironed out and first 2 shots made a single figure-8 hole in the stripe of a xeroxed bowling pin target and i was amazed how effortless it was. he also let me try his G20 which was a bit more unruly but liked it too and have since gotten one of my own which i've had tweaked a bit (Goshen "Keeper" porting and a steel guide rod) to tame the muzzle, but like panzer also have a Delta Elite project on deck to scratch the itch i've had ever since that first 1911 experience.

i've since shot 1911's in .45 which are equally lovely to the Delta and a little softer shooting but i like the 10 foir similar reason to why Dracos likes the .357Sig, but with the 10 what you lose in thud you gain in splat :)

the Sigs are sweet too, very natural grip and the trigger is butter as the OP stated, but i just love that point-and-click feel of the 1911 single-action trigger. you just *know* you're gonna hit the mark and i love that confidence. and they're so balanced the muzzle just falls right back on point making follow-ups a breeze.

Krull is right about the Glock slides :D

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 28 Dec 2008, 12:49

Regarding the Glock 45, I went twice to their armorer school and heard no reports of problems. However, this summer the National FOP Conference was addressed by the AZ delegation which stated they had to ship back a ton of them from multiple police departments. They were allegedly stovepiping.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Krull

Post by Krull » 30 Dec 2008, 00:57

fatherfoof wrote:Regarding the Glock 45, I went twice to their armorer school and heard no reports of problems. However, this summer the National FOP Conference was addressed by the AZ delegation which stated they had to ship back a ton of them from multiple police departments. They were allegedly stovepiping.
I'd lay money it was the magazines,my 21 worked fine the first few years then it would jam up like a bastard almost every time I pulled the trigger.

Then I got a new mag and compaired it to the old ones the plastic lips were pulling away on the old ones and the new was tight what I guess was happening was the rounds would pop loose before the slide could grab them right,I had stove pipes like you mention and if I slammed a mag in hard the topmost round would fly out the ejection port!

That's one reason I moved away from the glock the only solution is ether use thicker plastic,like the FsN,or go with a metal mag.

To be honest I'm not really gonna go back to the Glock the mag is a weak point and they should own up and fix it.