Glock 23 as best CCW?

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
abatis

Glock 23 as best CCW?

Post by abatis » 23 Aug 2009, 19:40

I am thinking it is hard to beat the Glock 23 as a concealed carry. I own one and I moved it to a state that I spend about half my time. My CCW permit allows me to carry in this state plus my home state of Colorado. Should I buy another Glock 23 or something else like a Sig? I want light weight and simplicity. Any suggestions for a CCW appreciated. I prefer a 40 S&W.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams

stg2ahn

Re: Glock 23 as best CCW?

Post by stg2ahn » 23 Aug 2009, 19:43

I am with you buddy.
I would stick with another glock23 or even smaller 26/27. (forgot which is the .40 cal one.)

Magazine compability, muscle memory and comfort seems to make it a winner, IMHO.
I had a g23 and loved it.

Other alternatives really don't appeal to me.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 23 Aug 2009, 20:21

I have a G27 and think it is one of the best Glocks for CCW. It is more compact than the 23, w/o losing a whole lot of velocity. Not having my pinky finger on the grip bothered me at first, but now I dont notice it. However, if its a problem, the Pierce +0 grip extensions work like a charm. If I was going to get another Glock for CCW I think I would choose a 29sf.

BUT...my Glock requires a TON of holdover. It took me a lot of practice to get accurate with it. Glocks take some getting used to if you've never used one. Some people naturally point them too high (at least I do). Next time, I might consider the sub-compact Springfield XD in .40 S&W.
Last edited by Grantness on 23 Aug 2009, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 23 Aug 2009, 20:50

I completelyl agree with grantess. That pierce grip extension does make quite a difference.

I modded mine with a lighter trigger and extended slide release.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 24 Aug 2009, 10:00

If it says Glock, I won't drive it. Just like I won't purposely purchase anything with a bowtie on the grill.
Call it personal bias.
I'd rather have a blue oval on my keys and a FN on my hip...or even a Sig or a Ruger or a S&W or a...take your pick.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 24 Aug 2009, 10:01

Cyberfly, are you saying that GLocks are too snobby?

I felt that way about sig and HKs...

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 24 Aug 2009, 10:36

Nope. I just don't like em.
I think that for the money you can buy better weapons, and more of them.
Oh, they are easy to convert to FA if you like to waste ammo and not hit what you're shooting at, but if I wanted a good weapon, Glock would not be at the top of my list.
Unfortunately, most departmental gunsmiths only know Glocks. And because of that, they will try to belittle you if you drive anything else. Its not that your weapon is any better or worse, it's just that they don't know how to service them so they try to make you feel stupid for not owning a Glock.
You'll pay for a H&K. You'll pay for a sig, too. But again, you get what you pay for. Same thing goes for the FiveseveN. I've bought H&K before and regretted spending that much. Luckilly, you can sell them and recoup your money. The FiveseveN is the only high dollar handgun I've ever bought that I never regretted.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 24 Aug 2009, 10:58

Medula Oblongata wrote:
stg2ahn wrote:I am with you buddy.
I would stick with another glock23 or even smaller 26/27. (forgot which is the .40 cal one.)

Magazine compability, muscle memory and comfort seems to make it a winner, IMHO.
I had a g23 and loved it.

Other alternatives really don't appeal to me.
I don't like Glock's, but they're reliable machines.

+1, the only reason I own a glock is for the 10 mm, and I agree with Grant, 29SF is the only Glock I would buy.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

apache

Post by apache » 24 Aug 2009, 12:23

You are right on Grant. Glock 31 was my first semi auto 10 years ago and I had to consciously lower the nose to acquire the target... It did take a while to train that into my muscle memory. Prior to the USG, Sig was my favorite just for the way it feels in my hand.. awesome grip. the 232 is a great little cc semi.
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
John Adams, July 17, 1775

abatis

Post by abatis » 24 Aug 2009, 13:11

Thanks for all the input, even from the non Glockers. stg2ahn thanks for the recommendation on the Glock 27. I went down and bought one at lunch. I plan to get a grip extension for my pinkie. I have to admit I like shooting my Glock 23 and it is nice I can use the spare magazines from the 23 in the 27. I almost went for a compact H&K 40S&W but I read the HK magazines are easy to damage if you let them drop on a hard surface. I also noticed my dealer has the FSN priced at $1089. They were $850 when I bought mine - Hussein Obama Statist Inflation (HOSI) at work.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Aug 2009, 13:25

I have several glocks, and they are all very reliable. I just don't like a double stack for IWB ccw . I used to carry a Kahr PM9, but I have been carrying a LCP for about a year now.
كاف

abatis

Post by abatis » 24 Aug 2009, 16:30

Here is my new Glock 27 next to my Kahr MK9 Elite

Double stack versus single

The Friends

- John Adams

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 24 Aug 2009, 17:50

I've been interested in the Kahrs because they have some of the smallest large caliber semi-autos around...but negative reports about reliability turned me off. Apparantly squeezing lots of moving parts in a small area = trouble.

FN needs to come out w/ a 10-12 round FsN that has like a 4.25" - 4.5" barrel. Factory ammo wouldn't be all that great out of it, but then again factory isnt all that great out of the 5" barrel :laugh:

abatis

Post by abatis » 24 Aug 2009, 18:04

Grantness wrote:I've been interested in the Kahrs because they have some of the smallest large caliber semi-autos around...but negative reports about reliability turned me off. Apparantly squeezing lots of moving parts in a small area = trouble.
I don't know how many hundreds of rounds I, my sons and wife have put through the Kahr MK9 Elite but I have never had any issue. Also I bought it used but very lightly used. Kahr was recommended as an option by IronRidge as a solid light weight defense gun. Also they indicated there was some issue with the early polymer Kahrs but had not heard of issues with later models. Just so you know they did not sell me a Kahr or even try, they just said it was a good compact 9mm. Also Kahrs are not really that complicated as shown here: http://www.kahrshop.com/parts_mk9e.html
- John Adams

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 24 Aug 2009, 18:08

sorry, I should have clarified. I was refering to the large caliber sub-compact Kahrs like the 45acp. If I wanted a tiny 9mm, I'd prob just get a Kel-Tec PF9. I know everyone thinks Keltecs are cheap and dinky, but I've shot the PF9, and found it as reliable and accurate as anything else. With all the money you'd save, you could get a nice trigger job and some porting or something too...

abatis

Post by abatis » 24 Aug 2009, 18:19

Yes the 45 with a 7 round mag would be nice and the PM models weights around 17 oz+. I am partial to the 40S&W and really have the mk9 for the wife.

Kahr 45

- John Adams

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 24 Aug 2009, 19:05

FYI the G27 is the .40

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 24 Aug 2009, 20:36

Guess we all have our picks. In shorts, I used a G27 in DeSantis Nemisis for a few yrs. Same holster, now I use the G33 with 357Sig. Both work well.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

thehammer
Banned

Post by thehammer » 25 Aug 2009, 03:33

I like Glocks - just don't like the kind of people that own them, without getting into it I think you can figure out what I mean.

I agree with the others G29 only compact 10mm out there, 10mm talk about an awesome round :thumb: It's not popular because it's EXPENSIVE. I own a G29 and love it - it's my CCW in the Winter, Summer months it's a S&W 340PD with crimson trace grips carried in my front pocket, with a couple of speed loaders in my left pocket weighs in at about 12oz.

Best choice for ultimate concealed carry my opinion is the G33 .357SIG round 9mm on steriods, get yourself a G27 barrel and you've got the best bang for your buck in a CCW pistol.

.357SIG ammo is also expensive. Why pay more $$$ by a lot for a Kahr its basically just a glorified Glock.

mack706

Post by mack706 » 25 Aug 2009, 04:44

thehammer wrote:I like Glocks - just don't like the kind of people that own them, without getting into it I think you can figure out what I mean.

I agree with the others G29 only compact 10mm out there, 10mm talk about an awesome round :thumb: It's not popular because it's EXPENSIVE. I own a G29 and love it - it's my CCW in the Winter, Summer months it's a S&W 340PD with crimson trace grips carried in my front pocket, with a couple of speed loaders in my left pocket weighs in at about 12oz.

Best choice for ultimate concealed carry my opinion is the G33 .357SIG round 9mm on steriods, get yourself a G27 barrel and you've got the best bang for your buck in a CCW pistol.

.357SIG ammo is also expensive. Why pay more $$$ by a lot for a Kahr its basically just a glorified Glock.
you forgot about the witness 10mm compact..i like tz style pistols cause it has a cocked and locked option as well as a true D/a trigger

abatis

Post by abatis » 25 Aug 2009, 07:31

thehammer wrote: Best choice for ultimate concealed carry my opinion is the G33 .357SIG round 9mm on steriods, get yourself a G27 barrel and you've got the best bang for your buck in a CCW pistol.

I see you can also drop the .357SIG barrel in the G27. I have not shot the .357SIG before but from reading it sounds like a fun flat shooting round. Yes the Kahrs are more $$$ than a Glock and they don't even have the Glock "?safety?" on the trigger. I think the extra metal must account for the cost. I have to admit my Kahr MK9 Stainless is heavy and I will probably sell it and buy a single stack polymer for a coat pocket gun.
- John Adams

romer522

Post by romer522 » 25 Aug 2009, 09:36

I bought a Kahr because Glock doesn't make anything as concealable as a PM9. The only reason to own a glock is if you want to have compatibility with the "standard." but the reasons to own the "standard" only apply to full/mid sized frames imho.

When it came to small/concealable for me it boiled down to how small of a weapon I wanted, then maximizing other features working within that size. PM9 is what I ended up with and I have no issues with the ballistics of 9mm in that size gun.

thehammer
Banned

Post by thehammer » 25 Aug 2009, 17:56

Yup G33 is a pocket rocket for sure -

nf9648

Post by nf9648 » 13 Sep 2009, 17:22

I carry a Glock 19 daily, my only .40 was a Browning Hi Power and it left me with no desire to own another firearm in that caliber. All my handguns sans two are 9mm.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 13 Sep 2009, 20:09

romer522 wrote:When it came to small/concealable for me it boiled down to how small of a weapon I wanted, then maximizing other features working within that size. ... and I have no issues with the ballistics of 9mm in that size gun.
+1
I've avoided this thread so far, but... Everything that's engineered has a set of tradeoffs. "Best" depends on your particular circumstances, needs, and wants; and how you prioritize the tradeoffs. Right now, I like the PPS in 9mm. I chose to avoid the .40".
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 14 Sep 2009, 07:17

I'd take a GLOCK over a S&W, RUGER or SIG anyday. I have had my model 30 for over 10 yrs and have never had a FTF or misfire. I also own a 21,23, and 29 along with more "high dollar" handguns but continue
to carry my glock as my primary CCW

thehammer
Banned

Post by thehammer » 14 Sep 2009, 07:20

Kid Glock can't go wrong - biggest TV and Movie handgun of all time isn't that enough... :lmao: :thumb:

laztat

Post by laztat » 14 Sep 2009, 16:24

abatis wrote:Here is my new Glock 27 next to my Kahr MK9 Elite

Double stack versus single

The Friends

Those are both really nice....i'm diggin the carpet ( or what ever that is ) :cool: