Taurus Judge .410 Revolver and Ammunition Review

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: Taurus Judge .410 Revolver and Ammunition Review

Post by Cyberfly » 25 May 2010, 09:50

Excellent review. Found it very interesting and informative.
The only thing I noticed was the 00 buck size comparison. We were always taught in CLEET that 00 buck is just about the same size as a .38 round. Maybe a .32 is more accurate and they use the .38 for 'awe'? Dunno, but that came to mind when I read it.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 26 May 2010, 12:29

Cyberfly wrote:We were always taught in CLEET that 00 buck is just about the same size as a .38 round.
I used the .32 because I thought it was the closest comparison when you consider the weight of the 000 (not 00) pellet and the speed it is travelling. The energy of a .38 Special, even in snubnose form, would be considerably more than one of these pellets, at least when fired from a 3" barreled Judge.

The energy of the smaller 00 pellet MIGHT be more in line with a .38 Special when fired from a long gun, which can send them downrange at 1,325 FPS. Most .38 Special rounds are between 110 and 135 grains, which is much heavier than one of the 61 grain 000 pellets found in the Federal Judge round, but will travel at roughly the same speed from a snubnose. The diameter of the 000 pellets are close to the diameter of a .38 (.357"), but the 00 pellets are actually closer to .32" diameter.

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 26 May 2010, 12:41

NEW Federal Ammunition Offerings:

Federal has introduced a couple of new rounds designed specifially for the 3" chambered Judge.

They are:

PD413JGE-000 (5 pellets of 000 buck at 960 FPS)
PD413JGE-4B (9 pellets of 4 buck at 1100 FPS)

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 26 May 2010, 13:05

NEW Winchester Ammunition Offering:

Winchester has also introduced a new round designed specifially for the Judge. This round contains 3 large disc shaped projectiles and 12 BB size plated shot. This round looks very interesting... and promising.

410 ga. 2 1/2" Supreme Elite PDX1 410

There is a video here: Supreme Elite PDX1 410 Video

Mike

bayhawk2

Post by bayhawk2 » 14 Aug 2010, 13:05

Great info on this pistol.Glad you mentioned the bad pattern from the Winchester Super X #4's.My luck.That is the shells I purchased.I thought it was the norm and put it off as to never shoot any bird shot from this pistol.Glad I read this.I will try to find some Remington Long Range #4's.I haven't seen any here in my area.I did discover the Federal 000 Buck though.I kept it a secret here.As you,I found all mine at Wal-Mart.3 Wal-Marts in my area.I got all they had.5 boxes is all the stores had together.I have the 6 1/2 inch bbl.It kicks pretty hard with the Federal Shells.May not be the 1200 fps,but it is bad ass.Great pattern all the way out to 18 yards.I also have the Winchester 3 disc/bb's shells built for the Judge.Their o.k.,but the BB's just splatter.I think they'd be better off leaving the BB's out and adding another disc.The disc held a good pattern at 10 yards.Ok.Thanks for this very informative article on the Judge....westbrazos

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Re: Conclusion

Post by Vortec MAX » 23 Jan 2011, 22:40

Vortec MAX wrote:I will tell you that until Smith and Wesson makes one of their .460 handguns with a chamber long enough for .410 shells that a Judge will reside in my stable of guns.
Looks like it might be time to trade up.

Smith & Wesson Governor .410 Shotshell/ .45LC Revolver

Mike

Nickf150fx4

Post by Nickf150fx4 » 06 Mar 2011, 01:35

I've had my eye on getting a judge for a while and now I saw that SW has the new governer and now I'm back to square one. From what I've read the governer is pretty solid but that price tag compared to the judge is a killer.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 06 Mar 2011, 07:57

I held a Raging Judge the other day. It shoots the 454 Casull as well. I was tempted on wrapping her up and taking her home.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Reese706

Post by Reese706 » 07 Mar 2011, 05:14

Theres another .410 pistol offering by Swith&wesson now called the Governor. Its a six shot instead of 5 and looks of much better quality which is expected being a smith. And one added bonus with this pistol is it also fires .45 acp as well as .410 and .45 colt

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Mar 2011, 04:27

Reese706 wrote:Theres another .410 pistol offering by Swith&wesson now called the Governor. Its a six shot instead of 5 and looks of much better quality which is expected being a smith. And one added bonus with this pistol is it also fires .45 acp as well as .410 and .45 colt

I've been wanting to get a Judge for a while now as a handy snake-gun. We've got about 4 acres on a lake in South Carolina, all waterfront, and the moccasians are really bad in the Spring and Summer. Been using a .22 "Sat Night Speical" snubnose with rat-shot in it, which isn't very effective, lucky if you hit the stupid snake with 1 or 2 pieces of birdshot at 5 yards...any range beyond that is a waste of ammo. The Judge seemed like the perfect snake-gun...

UNTIL, I saw the Smith Governer... man that is an awesome thing. You get the traditional 6th shot in the wheelgun, and you can use moon and half-moon clips for .45 ACP!!! Did I mention it shoots .45 ACP?! :thumb:

If you don't care for the ACP, then just load her up with .45LC, 220gr Silvertips, and you've got a proven cowboy load... I like the idea of being able to split the chambers between 2 or 3 .410 shotshells for snakes and rodents, and the remainder can be defense loads for undesirable situations.

I plan on picking up TWO of these things.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 15 Mar 2011, 23:38

Vortex, thanks for the great review! The timing issue on a new gun is important, for in no time you'll be shaving lead. The cylinder lock simple has to be right on each and every time. The SW Gov withe the 45ACP ability will make an interesting comparitive study.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 28 Apr 2013, 19:20

I picked up a Smith & Wesson Governor from Ray Tanner (one of our site sponsors). My initial impressions (I have not fired it yet) are very good. The quality difference between the S&W and the Taurus is very apparent. The front detent ball is much more solid and heavy duty on the S&W and the timing and lockup are perfect on it as well.

I plan on doing a report on the Governor once I have a little range time with it. Also, there are some interesting new ammunition offerings that I have picked up that I want to pattern on paper.

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 28 Apr 2013, 19:21

Sorry the pics no longer work in this review. My ISP pulled the plug on my personal web space, which is where the pics were hosted. They will no longer offer that service to subscribers. I will try to find another place to host the pics in the future.

Mike

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 28 Apr 2013, 19:48

Vortec MAX wrote:I picked up a Smith & Wesson Governor from Ray Tanner (one of our site sponsors). My initial impressions (I have not fired it yet) are very good. The quality difference between the S&W and the Taurus is very apparent. The front detent ball is much more solid and heavy duty on the S&W and the timing and lockup are perfect on it as well.

I plan on doing a report on the Governor once I have a little range time with it. Also, there are some interesting new ammunition offerings that I have picked up that I want to pattern on paper.

Mike
Hmmm. :drool: Being a Smith fanatic, I may have to pick one of those up when the current frenzy dies down. I knew there was a reason I haven't bought a Judge yet. :clap:
They also sell it with Crimson Trace Laser grips.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 05 Jun 2013, 21:49

Pictures are back online and all the broken links are fixed. Only about two of the links still worked. All the manufacturers and ammunition companies changes their sites which affected the URLs. I think I updated them all. If you find one that does not work, let me know.

Mike