USA Made Glock

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
smpsmp

USA Made Glock

Post by smpsmp » 19 Oct 2012, 18:12

I'll have to upload a pic then. We had a Glock 19 Gen 3 come into the shop for a FFL transfer the other day. I noticed the rollmark on the barrel hood, then looked at the slide and saw USA.

I compared it to a 19 Gen 3 in the case which was made in the last two months and noticed the finish on the slide is different. The Austrian made one's finish changes shades when you wipe your fingers across it, the USA made on doesn't.

Needless to say, I prefer my guns to be made in their country of origin, just the way I am. I like German Sigs, USA made S&W's, and Austrian made Glocks.

DO NOT WANT.

smpsmp

Re: USA Made Glock

Post by smpsmp » 19 Oct 2012, 18:14

Here's the pic.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 20 Oct 2012, 01:18

Okay.
That's different. I wonder when that started? Are we sure it isn't just stamped USA because maybe it was made just for a USA market or something?
Just stabbing in the dark here..
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 20 Oct 2012, 04:16

it's pretty well known in the block community they changed the slide coatIng a little while ago. no difference in performance.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Oct 2012, 07:03

I've seen the USA stamped ones, just figured it was kinda like FNH's Fredericksburg, VA thing. Meh.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 20 Oct 2012, 07:30

That hasn't made them any cheaper, has it? No shipping or import taxes?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Oct 2012, 08:26

Why drop the price when people have already shown they are willing to pay it? Kinda like gas prices :laugh:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 20 Oct 2012, 11:18

True, that. Just hoping...

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 20 Oct 2012, 11:49

I'm sure the US factory they were built in wasn't free.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 20 Oct 2012, 16:20

srt,

I know Glock changes their finish more than I change my socks. What I meant was when I compared it to a new manufactured Austrian Gen 3 vs the USA one (test dates were within a few weeks of each other) they were different. The USA one had more of a parkerized look to it (can't really see that well from the pics).

Everything on it said made in the usa, the frame said it, the barrel hood was stamped US and had a rollmark of the outline of the state of GA. Nothing at all mentioned about Austria.

I think Davidson's is the distributor who go the first run of these. They don't differentiate between them, and it's a crap shoot if you get a US or Austrian made one.

Just doesn't look right. I'll give this one a few years before I buy one to see how it goes. Learned my lesson from Sig with that one.

57js

Post by 57js » 20 Oct 2012, 16:31

smpsmp wrote:srt,

I know Glock changes their finish more than I change my socks. What I meant was when I compared it to a new manufactured Austrian Gen 3 vs the USA one (test dates were within a few weeks of each other) they were different. The USA one had more of a parkerized look to it (can't really see that well from the pics).

Everything on it said made in the usa, the frame said it, the barrel hood was stamped US and had a rollmark of the outline of the state of GA. Nothing at all mentioned about Austria.

I think Davidson's is the distributor who go the first run of these. They don't differentiate between them, and it's a crap shoot if you get a US or Austrian made one.

Just doesn't look right. I'll give this one a few years before I buy one to see how it goes. Learned my lesson from Sig with that one.
Glock has been making guns in Georgia for many years to export to other countries. Glock has sold some Georgia guns here many years ago, but not too many of them. I would think after all these years of making Glocks in Georgia, the workers would know how to make a reliable gun without any problems.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 22 Oct 2012, 06:09

My 29 I bought years ago had USA stamped on it.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

jckilla
custom title: jckilla

Post by jckilla » 22 Oct 2012, 22:23

Tenifer® is a name used most often in other parts of the world; Melonite® is exclusive to North America. Maybe the USA made Glock has the Melonite finish and the Austrian ones use Tenifer. For example, S&W Melonite can be touched up with bluing pen, while Glock’s Tenifer can not ( and seems to be more scratch resistant ). Also, I recently have seen claims that Glock is no longer Tenifer hardening their Gen4 slides, that the slides are made in the U.S. and it is illegal to Tenifer them, etc. - Well, according to Glock, Gen4 slides ( as well as the entire pistol ) are indeed made in AUSTRIA and are assembled here in the U.S..
The slides and barrels are still Tenifer treated. The “ top coat ” however as most people have noticed has changed. Glock calls it their “matte” finish instead of the Gen3 “glossy.” Yes, it is more silverish than the previous deep black. I'm not sure why, the coating has nothing to do with Tenifer.

As Posted on XDTalk:- 1. Glock HAS stopped using the Tenifer metal treatment process about 2 years ago ( but see #3 ) and use an ‘equivalent’ process that has the same Rockwell Hardness. My guess is that they don’t have to pay royalties for their new process. We saw some high mileage Gen3 and 4 pistols and the 4 actually had less normal finish wear ( they probably were handpicked but still impressive ).

2. Beginning about 2 years ago they started making COMPLETE pistols in the U.S. (just a coincidence to #1? I don’t think so). Sorry, there was not time to get more details. I wish I had clarified what was being produced on the US line.

3. The 2011 Glock Annual still says that the sub-compacts are Tenifer treated, but try to find the word ‘Tenifer’ anywhere else!

The new process is being called " nitro carburizing " by Glock and that is " equivalent. " I assume this gives Glock exclusive control of the metal treatment and that they don't have to pay any more licensing/royalties.
People frequently mistake ( I did initially! ) the outer coating on their Glocks for the Tennifer and then they see it wear off due to holster wear or they see it get scratched and say "Hey! This Tennifer crap isn't as tough as they said! Look at this! It's wearing right off, and that's just from holster wear, it's not even as hard as kydex!".

Negatory. That black coating on your glock is just a phosphate coating they put on it to give it a certain color, the tennifer is actually embedded in the metal underneath and is a dull gray color. And you can not get it off without stripping off the top...0.5mm, I believe it is, of steel on your slide. Basically, in other words, you can't get it off, you can't penetrate it, you can't hurt it, not really. I checked the born on date ( serial # index ) for my Gen 3 Glock 26, and it was made in 2008, before the tenifer process was changed to melonite or nitro, or WHATEVER, and on the front end of the slide, even when rubbing the finish seems to change shade, just as you're referring to, easily, and the only wear marks are from my blackhawk holster. I doubt there is any significant difference in your USA made Glock and Austrian made, other than the tenifer coating on your Gen 3 and the coating on the one that came in your shop, probably the USA made one's date of manufacture was made in the last 2 years. if all the internals are the same, i would keep it. If there is a dual action recoil spring, then obviously Glock forgot to stamp Gen 4 on it, and you have a gun that might be MORE collectible to someone, either way, looks good, anything short of a diamond won't scratch up the slide, and I'd keep it. If you're selling it at Blue label price or lower, shoot me a PM. Hope any of this info i copied and pasted from various sites helps. Cheers!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Oct 2012, 23:36

In the end, none of the 99% will even use their Glocks even close to hard enough to warrant needing a Tenifer-treated Glock.

I don't really care, either way. I'm sure it will outlive me.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 23 Oct 2012, 04:14

blueorison wrote:In the end, none of the 99% will even use their Glocks even close to hard enough to warrant needing a Tenifer-treated Glock.

I don't really care, either way. I'm sure it will outlive me.
This coming from a guy who breaks everything? :p
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 23 Oct 2012, 05:51

He's broken his Glock, just not the slide...

Tackelbarry

Post by Tackelbarry » 09 Jan 2013, 05:14

Interesting thread. I had no idea any Glocks were made in the US.