10mm vs IIIA vest

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

10mm vs IIIA vest

Post by Valorius » 13 Aug 2012, 13:40

The video could use some editing to cut out reduce the length, but here are some tests i did on a circa 1993 25 layer Safariland IIIA vs 10mm. The tests were done with the assistance of Jimmy, one of the employees at Doubletap Range in Philly. The gun and ammo were provided by him. The vest is a vest i have tested vs literally dozens of full power rounds in various calibers.

Test gun was a Glock shorty. 2 rounds were tested. One was a Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP.

The other was, quite frankly, over pressure 10mm 180gr JHP ammo that was so hot it literally split the case (not my hand, not my gun), and which i would personally consider unsafe to shoot. However, for the purposes of my test, i was happy to see how it'd perform vs the IIIA.

Here are the results:

Note: The soft padding behind the layers of kevlar in this vest is a ballistic material of some unknown type. In these videos i had the panel in the carrier backwards, so it hit the padding first. The padding STOPPED THE ROUNDS DEAD.

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Re: 10mm vs IIIA vest

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 17:34

I hope that Glock you were shooting had an aftermarket barrel with a properly supported chamber. Otherwise, your hand was in serious jeopardy. :(

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 13 Aug 2012, 18:26

you dont have editing software? lol....i like all of the videos you have been doing lately. a 10mm glock is 1 of the only glocks i would not own, or at least not with the factory barrel.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 13 Aug 2012, 20:55

ShockedNKansas wrote:I hope that Glock you were shooting had an aftermarket barrel with a properly supported chamber. Otherwise, your hand was in serious jeopardy. :(
As i said- not my glock, not my hand. The guy that owned the shorty 10mm Glock did the shooting in the video.

No way in hell i'd shoot ammo that i knew was deliberately loaded past the max safe ratings in reputable reloading manuals. Not my idea of fun.

I do have editing software (windows movie maker), but it doesn't seem to work with .mov files, which is what my new 1080i camera films in.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 14 Aug 2012, 05:17

I only made my comment because of the comment in the video lol