SR 1911

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
brianz

SR 1911

Post by brianz » 01 Apr 2012, 12:01

So last year I was lucky enough to get a hold of a gun dealer just seconds after he had gotten off of the phone with a distributor and had been informed he would be receiving two SR 1911's. A week later I picked this up...

Now this would be my first 1911 and while I love the reliability and functionality of my Glock 23, it would quickly become my favorite gun to shoot (we'll see what happens as I shoot the FsN over the next few weeks). I did have some accuracy problems in the beginning. For some reason I was shooting to the left...

Over the months I was able to work on my grip and trigger pull to dial it in.

21ft
15 yards
Back to 21ft.

I really tried to work more on my shooting technique to improve my accuracy rather than adjusting the windage. While I have shot a lot over the years I haven't had much formal training (I was shooting using the teacup grip until two years ago) so I was pretty sure it was me and not the gun. I definitely still have work to do but for the most part I know it is the speed of my shots.

The gun itself, like I implied when ranking it, is fantastic. Smooth, clean trigger. A nice heft that minimizes recoil and great sights. Now, if only Ruger could make more of them so people would be able to find them.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: SR 1911

Post by blueorison » 01 Apr 2012, 16:17

brianz wrote: (I was shooting using the teacup grip until two years ago)
:lmao: Thanks for sharing this, I'm laughing with you.

Did you see the post for Mission Impossible that just came out a few weeks ago? The special secret agent was teacupping a Sig. It made my day.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 01 Apr 2012, 16:46

I think I still teacup...Maybe blue just needs to come teach me how to shoot :laugh:

Sweet looking pistol! And nice work on those targets.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 01 Apr 2012, 17:17

PainKillaX wrote:I think I still teacup...Maybe blue just needs to come teach me how to shoot :laugh:

Sweet looking pistol! And nice work on those targets.
Dude you're MIL now, I PAY for you to be taught how to shoot by the Army. :thumb: :lmao:

That said, one of my ex-students (he moved) outshot his Army SF friend with the pistol, consistently. He actually taught him, because they didn't have Adv. pistol classes or somenot.

Probably the top group as far as... everything... that I respect in shooting sports, is the AMU.

Everyone is pretty much jealous of them, because they get everything paid for, get paid, and get to wake up everyday and shoot unlimited amounts out of ANY CALIBER THEY FEEL LIKE THAT DAY, at private ranges, on targets they desire.

That's not the best part. The BEST part is that all the peripheral WORK is DONE FOR THEM. The targets, the gunsmithing, the guns, the custom calibers, everything. Built and shipped and everything.

They basically get personal catering on anything they want. When they are done shooting a stage, do you think they clean their own guns? NOPE. They have a errand boy to do it.

I'm not saying any of that to insult them. That's just me being envious. As I said, I highly respect them because of their professionalism, straight-forwardness, and energy/discipline/focus.

If you get the chance, get in their circle!

Back on the thread; I like Rugers. They are very robust; said that before.

Butttttt for some reason I haven't seen the SR1911's around at all, and have not got to shoot one. I feel like this is a crime.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 01 Apr 2012, 17:23

I'd rather take care of the gun myself, but that's just me. And the Marines haven't been interested in teaching me how to shoot a pistol as of now. I slept with an M16 but never even saw a pistol except in the duty's holster.

Are these hard to come by? I don't think I've really seen 1911s that are tough to find, at least that aren't the more expensive/custom ones.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 01 Apr 2012, 17:36

Distribution channels. Right now Ruger is on shutdown from new orders, as they are struggling to meet demand. Their 1911's are not high on the priority list. That's why.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 01 Apr 2012, 18:54

their 1911 are in high demand though. i never really liked rugers outside their rimfires, but the 1911 is very appealing.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 01 Apr 2012, 19:10

srt-4_jon wrote:their 1911 are in high demand though. i never really liked rugers outside their rimfires, but the 1911 is very appealing.
What makes it more appealing than other ones on the market, like S&W's?

Or, rather, why is it very appealing, on its own, not being compared?
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 01 Apr 2012, 19:14

features vs cost

brianz

Post by brianz » 02 Apr 2012, 04:15

For me there were a few deciding factors as to why it was my first 1911. First was the brand. My first handgun was a Ruger P89 and I have purchased several since. The second was the barrel/slide relationship. They are machined out of the same bar and stay together through the entire process which I would imagine makes for a nice fit. Third, Hickok45 did a Youtube video with the gun and I was highly impressed.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 02 Apr 2012, 05:11

I'm just a Ruger fan through and through and had I been given a choice when I scored my 1911, I'd have gone Ruger. I didn't even know they made one or I'd have waited...now I'm depressed.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

brianz

Post by brianz » 02 Apr 2012, 06:00

I'm still waiting for the Ruger American in .308. I've seen it in .30-06 but the idea of shooting that round out of a 6.25 pound rifle is a bit discouraging.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Apr 2012, 07:12

I got a call last week for 2 of these and turned them down! DUMBASS....

Blue...

I rountinely out shoot my Army and Maring bussines with handguns, its just not taught as well as Long guns.
Now you get to them and its a toss up

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 09:11

Cyberfly wrote:I'm just a Ruger fan through and through and had I been given a choice when I scored my 1911, I'd have gone Ruger. I didn't even know they made one or I'd have waited...now I'm depressed.
Aw Fly, no worries! You can do a trade in or sell your 1911 and put it towards the Ruger SR1911! :thumb:
brianz wrote:I'm still waiting for the Ruger American in .308. I've seen it in .30-06 but the idea of shooting that round out of a 6.25 pound rifle is a bit discouraging.
This. I'm pretty sure this was a huge contributor to the backorder and order freeze, currently at Ruger. They are extremely high-value rifles; I love the short lift and lug design, not to mention the trigger! Very simple and robust, just like the Rugers I know. Of course, it's still early to call it, so we'll see how they do. But at the $400 price-point, even for someone like me that has no use for a bolt-action might get one. You could put together a great hunting rifle for $500! And the magazine is icing on the cake!
toyslr wrote:I got a call last week for 2 of these and turned them down! DUMBASS....

Blue...

I rountinely out shoot my Army and Maring bussines with handguns, its just not taught as well as Long guns.
Now you get to them and its a toss up
That's what I've been told. Many don't even carry side-arms, and may not need them. I always like to have a backup, though!

Now that this is on my radar, I'm going to keep an eye out for one on the range to test out at 25 yards or so, I'll let you guys know if I get to test one out! I've shot the Sig and S&W 1911's, I like the Sig triggers and the S&W accuracy, but haven't gotten to play with a Ruger SR 1911, yet! :(
Shoot more, worry less.

brianz

Post by brianz » 02 Apr 2012, 09:28

blueorison wrote:
This. I'm pretty sure this was a huge contributor to the backorder and order freeze, currently at Ruger. They are extremely high-value rifles; I love the short lift and lug design, not to mention the trigger! Very simple and robust, just like the Rugers I know. Of course, it's still early to call it, so we'll see how they do. But at the $400 price-point, even for someone like me that has no use for a bolt-action might get one. You could put together a great hunting rifle for $500! And the magazine is icing on the cake!
I can't say that I have a use for it, other than the fact I don't own that caliber yet. The reality is I just enjoy shooting and know I could spend many enjoyable range sessions popping off a few rounds at long distances. As for their back order, it seems like it has been a compounding problem. They just keep introducing guns that are well received, from the SR9/40's to the LC's and SP's. It seems like the 1911 and American were just that last straw.
toyslr wrote:I got a call last week for 2 of these and turned them down! DUMBASS....
Ahh, two. I think the SR 1911 is the only gun I've bought where I would think about buying a second right away, of course, then I'd have to get a double shoulder holster rig and the special bullets that throw people fifteen feet in the air. :laugh:

brianz

Post by brianz » 02 Apr 2012, 09:29

blueorison wrote: Now that this is on my radar, I'm going to keep an eye out for one on the range to test out at 25 yards or so, I'll let you guys know if I get to test one out! I've shot the Sig and S&W 1911's, I like the Sig triggers and the S&W accuracy, but haven't gotten to play with a Ruger SR 1911, yet! :(
If you're ever in Mass, let me know.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 15:21

brianz wrote:
blueorison wrote: Now that this is on my radar, I'm going to keep an eye out for one on the range to test out at 25 yards or so, I'll let you guys know if I get to test one out! I've shot the Sig and S&W 1911's, I like the Sig triggers and the S&W accuracy, but haven't gotten to play with a Ruger SR 1911, yet! :(
If you're ever in Mass, let me know.
The only people I know in Mass is a good friend's parents. But you never know.

The Ruger World Championships is going to be in Penn, this year, and I'd never thought I'd be stepping foot in that state.

Thanks for the gesture. :)
Shoot more, worry less.