It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Best 9mm Carry Gun Under $400? Ruger LC9 in my book.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 pm 

I have never been a Ruger Automatic pistol fan (but love their revolvers). The P-series P89, P90 jokingly earned a place in my "POS Hall of Fame". I nicknamed them Rattletraps (after the fishing lure) because I thought they were going to rattle themselves apart. I know they were decent guns but it was fun messing with my buddies that owned them but that isn't the point of this post.

So, I was very cautious when I first started reading these great reviews on the LC9. After a few months I finally decided to take the plunge and paid $325 for one at a gun how (NOTE: I have seen them for as low as $309 recently). I went to the range the same day and was blown away by this little gun. After 200 rounds without a FTF or a jam I went home. I was a little annoyed that I needed a small punch or the gun lock key to take it apart but so be it.

Since my initial purchase I have probably shot 600+ rounds through the LC9. I have shot EVERYTHING under the sun... Many +P rounds, a mag or two of +P+, loads of trashy Monarch, Winchester WB from Wal-Mart, Federal FMJ, etc... not a single jam or malfunction. The little gun just always shoots every time I pull the trigger. The trigger reset is a bit long but I can deal with it... I have adapted to it. If you are used to a Wilson Combat 1911 you won't probably like the trigger.

In summary, I am delighted with this gun and I have now embraced Ruger’s modern automatics. I really appreciate this gun and its price point. It is nice seeing a gun barely over $300 that performs. After a taking it apart a few times you can just bang on the slide with your hand to remove the pin for disassembly and cleaning- no tools needed.

Post subject: Re: Best 9mm Carry Gun Under $400? Ruger LC9 in my book.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:08 pm 
Competition/Training Mod

UT/EA Pistol Captain

Deathmaster wrote:
The trigger reset is a bit long but I can deal with it... I have adapted to it. If you are used to a Wilson Combat 1911 you won't probably like the trigger.

I LOL'd really hard when I read this line.

I love how you shoot the gun over what it was intended; it's a CCW gun, which in the long line of CCW guns that were intended mainly for carry, have long, heavy, and often horrible triggers.

Yet you used it for +P+ ammo on the range and have put many rounds down it, where the casual weekend warrior would have just mag-dumped 50 rounds at 7 feet and stuck it in their holster, and shot perhaps when all other guns were done being shot at the range and for an after-thought.

Great post. Good shootin. I found the LCP to have a superb CCW trigger that was smooth, though very long. The trigger guard was so tiny that everytime I clicked the trigger back, the bottom would hit my finger and not allow me to pull the trigger back. I had to adapt by placing my trigger finger higher on the trigger, which isn't really a good thing (and is a disadvantage for accurate shooting, on curved triggers).

The Keltec also had a very good trigger for a CCW platform. And for what it's worth, the P89 is an awesome pistol. :)

In your review/post, you compare apples to oranges. But the apples come out shining.

:cya:

Please realize correlation =/= causation.
Plural opinions don't equate to truth.

I throw sub-MOA rocks.

Stop relying on others to do the work for you. Challenge the brainwashed.
Shoot more, worry less.
Use the search function.
Smile. Always. .' ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:00 pm 

Glad you liked that line man.. lol

I am kind of embarrassed to say this but you know what ammo I carry in the LC9? Monarch Hollow Points (i think 124 gr). No joke.

The only reason- I have shot 286 rounds of it without in one session, pretty fast, with no malfunctions. The remaining 14 rounds went in magazines (7 each). The Monarch ammo was cheap enough to burn through nearly 6 boxes of ammo without taking out a loan or getting dirty looks from the wife when she sees the credit card bill. When I carry a Glock 26 or 19 I know those won't jam and roll with +P+ 100% of the time. I wanted to make the LC9 earn its roll and it did it.

A lot people don't understand the LC9 isn't a "combat handgun". It isn't going to replace a Glock 19, a Sig 226 or an HK P2000 or USP. It is a deep concealment pistol and it is excellent for that application. Is it the ideal "first gun" for someone with no handguns- HELL NO (imo). Buy a damn Glock 19 or an FN9, or a HK USP or an XD, etc... For the money and for its size I think the LC9 is damn near unbeatable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am 
Forum Supporter

Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
I would take the CZ RAMI 9mm over the LCP.

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am 

panzermk2 wrote:

Isn't it two different animals? It is double stack vs. single stack. If we are talking double stack 9mm's I don't think the CZ would make my top 10. The RAMI I shot had a metal frame and had feed issues. Even after some feedramp work it still wasn't reliable enough for use as a dedicated carry gun. The regular CZ-75 is a great gun but the RAMI didn't do much for me personally. I think the Kahl stuff is obviously comparable but at a much higher price point. I have never shot a Kel-Tech, a Diamond Back or the Taurus equivalent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am 

I had a Ruger SR9c that I carried for about 6mos. I carried it with the short 10rd mag in it, and the full size 17rd mag with the grip extension in my pocket. I think it was perfect for my first ccw gun. After about 4 mos I started carrying it with the full size mag. Then once I got comfortable with that I got a Glock 21, and now I'm waiting for my Five-seveN to come in. Sorry I'm kind of new to forums. I didn't mean to give you my whole ccw life story, but I do think the SR9c was a perfect carry weapon- for me anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:25 pm 
Competition/Training Mod

UT/EA Pistol Captain

Deathmaster wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:

Isn't it two different animals? It is double stack vs. single stack. If we are talking double stack 9mm's I don't think the CZ would make my top 10. The RAMI I shot had a metal frame and had feed issues. Even after some feedramp work it still wasn't reliable enough for use as a dedicated carry gun. The regular CZ-75 is a great gun but the RAMI didn't do much for me personally. I think the Kahl stuff is obviously comparable but at a much higher price point. I have never shot a Kel-Tech, a Diamond Back or the Taurus equivalent.

Yeah, apples vs oranges.

Sub-compact/compact versions vs. a ground-up, 0 degree (extremely low-profile) CCW pistol.

I throw sub-MOA rocks.

Shoot more, worry less.
Use the search function.
Smile. Always. .' ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 pm 
Forum Supporter

Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
blueorison wrote:
Deathmaster wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:

Yeah, apples vs oranges.

Sub-compact/compact versions vs. a ground-up, 0 degree (extremely low-profile) CCW pistol.

AH not really both are designed for concealed carry and both are sub compacts. Also if you look at the numbers other than the width of the frame and additional ammo there is not much difference between the 2. Not enough to notice on your hip or in your pocket.

CZ RAMI 9mm
Magazine Capacity 10
Weight 1.590 lbs
Width 1.250 in
Height 4.700 in
Barrel Length 3.000 in
Overall Length 6.500 in
LC9
Capacity: 7+1
Weight 1.068 lbs
Width 0.90"
Height: 4.50"
Barrel Length: 3.12"
Overall Length: 6.00"

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 am 
Gold Member

Mtn Man in Flatland

Under 400. I would go with the RAMI, if I could still get one for under that.

Honestly if I didn't get so much for the Kimber Solo on resale, I would be proudly carrying that, but it is way over 400.

Also waiting for the 938 and the 224 from sig.

I shot the LC9. Hated the trigger and the feel of it in my hand.

I would spend more than 400 for my Little gun needs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 pm 
Gold Member

EA's range buddy

By Bro-in-law (who is an FFL) is selling LC9s for $340 right now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 pm 

I've wanted to give the Walther PPQ a try lately, but haven't found anyone I know that has one. I've heard some good things about them.

As far as the Sig's go, the 224 falls in line like the subcompact glocks, xd's, and all the other short and fat ones. Making the grip of the gun shorter doesn't mean it's more concealable, that's like chopping rosie odonells legs off and calling her petite. I'm waiting to see how the 938 performs, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either. Definitely giving those two guns a year or so to have the bugs worked out. I do like the new scorpion series in the P series guns now, except that they have the new mile long extractors on the 229's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 pm 
Competition/Training Mod

UT/EA Pistol Captain

SMP, check your PM.

I throw sub-MOA rocks.

Shoot more, worry less.
Use the search function.
Smile. Always. .' ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 pm 

Blue check yours. And thanks again.

About the recoil, does the PPQ use the fixed barrel setup like the PPK, P22's, and a bunch of other Walther's?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 pm 
Competition/Training Mod

UT/EA Pistol Captain

smpsmp wrote:
Blue check yours. And thanks again.

About the recoil, does the PPQ use the fixed barrel setup like the PPK, P22's, and a bunch of other Walther's?

No, it doesn't :)

You may post what I sent you. I try to avoid online pissing matches, hence I use PM to communicate. It's more efficient. I still try to post information I think would help others, I just am very tired of people finding fault with what I say about certain platforms, because it might hurt their feelings about their favourite fan-company. Especially since many of them might not have used them to the effect or to the capacity that I may have.

I just don't like getting into arguments.:cya:

I throw sub-MOA rocks.

Shoot more, worry less.
Use the search function.
Smile. Always. .' ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm 

I actually just looked up about the barrel before I saw your message.

Here's what blue pm'ed me:

FYI, the PPQ trigger is fantastic. I just wanted to give you a friendly heads-up in case you were thinking of buying it without trying it, so you would avoid any unnecessary hassle; the PPQ and other Walther 9mm's have an unusually high kick to them. Not sure why, and it's not the light-weight. They just kick a lot for a 9mm. Other than that, they are well-made guns

I have heard great things about the PPQ trigger as well, and heard the reset time is amazing. I might have to order one into the shop. Either I'll take it, or give it to my friend as a wedding gift.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 am 

If you were to say under $500 I would suggest a used Sig P228. They have them on GunBroker in the $400-$500 range and are great pistols http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =260951653 .

I bought one of the used Swiss pistols and have not had any issues with it. It is very accurate, comfortable to carry, comfortable to shoot and has very little shooting wear. The Swiss police pistols have quite a bit of outside carry wear, but they have not been shot very much. I do not like a rail on a CC pistol, and these do not have them. They use 13-rd EOM mags or you can use MecGar 15-rd mags with absolute reliability.

I highly recommend one, as I have been carrying one as an off-duty weapon for quite a while now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:11 pm 

I second the old P228's as well, they were balanced just right for the 9mm, and after shooting those a P229 in 9mm feels really unbalanced in my hand. Definitely stick with MecGar's and not the Checkmates with Sig's, there have been a lot of issues with the CM's lately in Sig's with not feeding and not locking the slide open on the last round.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 am 

smpsmp wrote:
I second the old P228's as well, they were balanced just right for the 9mm, and after shooting those a P229 in 9mm feels really unbalanced in my hand. Definitely stick with MecGar's and not the Checkmates with Sig's, there have been a lot of issues with the CM's lately in Sig's with not feeding and not locking the slide open on the last round.

there is still a big size difference between a P228 and a LC9. I'd say a Sig 225 (the single stack 9mm) would be more of an apples to apples thing. I think after you carry a gun a while (several years) you start to want something less bulky and generally easier to carry around. I have carried a Sig 229 (40), Glock 19, Glock 26, S&W Snubnose 38 Special Airweight and now the LC9. I want something effective and very easy to carry. An LC9 can be had for under $325 now brand new... that is about impossible to top IMO. I used to say there nothing more of a fraud that a DAO trigger but I completely adapted to the LC9's trigger after two range sessions and about 400 rounds.. so I was wrong. I think it is easier for someone's brain and muscle memory to deal with DAO vs. DA/SA. I used to always consider my Sig 229's first shot as a "throw away" then I'd get down to business with the SA pull. Maybe that is why I have loved Glocks since first shooting a Gen 1 17 many moons ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:09 pm 

GOOD ole VIRGINIA

If price is a concern and you like investment casting stick with Ruger. If you want a real gun then turn to FNH USA and be done with it. PERIOD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Fuzzy

FNtacticalNUT wrote:
If price is a concern and you like investment casting stick with Ruger. If you want a real gun then turn to FNH USA and be done with it. PERIOD

Cause FNH makes a pistol that can fit in your back pocket, right? Lets stay on the topic of apples and not talk about oranges. :facepalm:

“If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia, plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, rally around the Scotch-Irish of that region, and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to British tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger.”
-- George Washington, at Valley Forge.

Page 1 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next