The Glock Pistol

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2012, 16:57

Factory ammo is crap, even from "hotter" mfg reloaders. I'm looking to EA to solve this problem with the SIG round.

Other than that, you can load SIG to ~1600fps. Handloads.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2012, 18:19

If you want a fast 9mm projectile, you could get a G20 and a 9x25 barrel. reloading cost wouldnt be much more expensive either.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2012, 18:57

The .357SIG does not use a 9mm projectile. The construction is different. Just an FYI, might be unrelated to what you commented, SRT.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2012, 21:40

by 9mm projectile, i meant the size.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 31 Jan 2012, 07:49

I understand all the reasoning behind the Glock fans and their love of the weapon. I drove a G20 for years with the SO and other than being a 1st Gen and the frame cracking, it seemed to be a fine weapon. I just never could get past the grip angle. It never felt 'right' in my hand. I always qualified with it and always scored well with her, but she was uncomfortable.
The SO replaced the 1st Gens with 3rd Gens and I drove a 3rd Gen for a while until the Sheriff gave us permission to use our own personal weapon (as long as we were qualified with it) and I bounced from 9MM, .40 to the FsN back to 10MM.
I thought about maybe one day picking up another Glock and maybe seeing if I could find some Hogue grips or 'something' to correct the grip angle, but never really saw it through. There were just so many other pistols out there that fit my hand better and felt like a natural extension of my arm. The Sig P226T, the FsN, the Ruger P95 and P89, the FNP40. Maybe one day I'll run across a deal I can't refuse on a G20 and try again, but unless I really think I can compensate for that grip angle..I may well pass on it.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

JTSX1

Post by JTSX1 » 31 Jan 2012, 20:37

Hmmm...first time shot a G19, I noticed how bad the angle was and how uncomfortable it was for me to shoot (I had to uncomfortably angle my wrist downward). I've since acquired a G27 (not sure if the fames are the same I just got used to it or what) in which i shoot just fine with. I was mesmerized by the hype surrounding the sig .357 round, so I went a head and bought a G32 (S&W M&P was available to , but like Glock trigger better) and just can't get as accurate with it, even taking my time and slow firing. It also fails to feed more often than anything else I've fired, minus DB9, and that's using your standard 1300 fps range ammo. Anyone else have this issue of not being accurate with this round or glock model ? I've shortened the reset and severely lightened the trigger with no luck...I definitely prefer the 27 to carry--that 32 trigger is way too light.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 06 Feb 2012, 13:42

Recently got a G19 as part of a trade. I've fired Glocks before, and am no fanboy, but having this one around a little while, I can see some of the appeal. The simplicity of the whole point-and-shoot is good, and the construction seems good.

I can see keeping it if there wasn't anything else I'd prefer to have (PLR-16 these days). I'll sell it or trade it when a deal comes along.

p99guy

Post by p99guy » 18 Mar 2012, 22:06

I picked up a G31 a couple of weeks ago, and put the extended controls on it, the rubber decal grips, AmeriGlo "Operator" night sights, and a add on beavertail that is out now,
Called a Grip Force Adapter.... They are worth getting by the way.
I have liked the .357 Sig for a while, my first a Sig P229 in that caliber.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Mar 2012, 23:07

p99guy wrote:I picked up a G31 a couple of weeks ago, and put the extended controls on it, the rubber decal grips, AmeriGlo "Operator" night sights, and a add on beavertail that is out now,
Called a Grip Force Adapter.... They are worth getting by the way.
I have liked the .357 Sig for a while, my first a Sig P229 in that caliber.
:ttiwwp:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Mar 2012, 13:05

G31 is the first Glock I ever owned; liked the gun, but the caliber never caught on with me. I liked the "idea" of the .357 Sig more than actually scrounging for super expensive ammo all the time. Eventually I got sick of looking/paying for it, traded the G31 in on a G17C and haven't looked-back since.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 25 Mar 2012, 23:31

We've had a gen 4 glock 19 sitting in the shop since november, and finally the other day I got sick of looking at it. I figured what the hell, I don't own a glock, they don't point naturally for me, but I still should buy it. Just waiting for my night sights, ghost 4.5 pound connector, and some extra mags to come in. I'm not against the factory trigger altogether, but I'm curious to see how the ghost connector makes it feel. I went and ordered a comp tac owb holster for it too if I ever end up carrying it. I did practice the other day just pointing and aiming with it, and I think I solved my problem I had of them never pointing naturally for me. It's not the grip angle alone that was getting me (the P7 uses the same angle and points naturally for me), it was a mix of the angle, the bump at bottom of the grip where the main spring would be if it had one, and how low the bore axis is compared to da/sa guns. Now I just have to find time to get out and shoot.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Mar 2012, 23:44

smpsmp wrote:We've had a gen 4 glock 19 sitting in the shop since november, and finally the other day I got sick of looking at it. I figured what the hell, I don't own a glock, they don't point naturally for me, but I still should buy it. Just waiting for my night sights, ghost 4.5 pound connector, and some extra mags to come in. I'm not against the factory trigger altogether, but I'm curious to see how the ghost connector makes it feel. I went and ordered a comp tac owb holster for it too if I ever end up carrying it. I did practice the other day just pointing and aiming with it, and I think I solved my problem I had of them never pointing naturally for me. It's not the grip angle alone that was getting me (the P7 uses the same angle and points naturally for me), it was a mix of the angle, the bump at bottom of the grip where the main spring would be if it had one, and how low the bore axis is compared to da/sa guns. Now I just have to find time to get out and shoot.
Many add aftermarket parts, and some of those many end up going back to factory parts, in the end. It's nice to try. I've tried $200+ triggers in other shooters' Glocks. My Glock is tuned by me for me, with factory parts, except for a spring or two. I do have a Ghost Rocket, but do not use it in the gun. I'm sure you will like yours, and am looking forward to hearing about it. I'm glad you gave it a chance.

I am with you on the grip angle. The Glock, like many guns, points high for me. The Glock points high for many. The bump on the grip pushes the bottom of my palm; I just have to adapt to the Glock and change my grip to fit the platform. Many Glock owners send in their Glocks for the tacticool stippling and reduction, because it's the "it thing", just like high school, instead of learning how "it" works.

I bought my Glock with the reduction and stippling done to it; I don't use stippling or grip-tape on my shooting platforms, so I put electrical tape over it. However, because .357SIG is expensive, after shooting and training with ammunition I was sponsored, I shoot borrowed Glocks in competition. They are stock with the bump.

We are quick to change things and try new things. Sometimes, not forgetting the old is the truest.

:cya:
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 26 Mar 2012, 15:42

I think with the combination of the bump, angle, and low bore axis the quickest fix is to just lift my arms up higher. It's not as natural feeling, but it works. This is one gun I plan on leaving fairly stock (except for the night sights), and I'll see how the trigger works out. I figured for the cost of the part if I don't like it then I'm not out much and I'll just karma it off here, and if I do like it then great. I'm not against the stock trigger all together, but I'm more curious then anything to see what kind of a difference it makes.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 30 Mar 2012, 19:28

Well I went out and shot a few hundred rounds the other night, and wasn't impressed. Every casing hit my in the forehead, top of head, in the glasses, and a few went down the back of my shirt. It was accurate enough, and glocks always surprised me there, but the whole getting hit with casings every shot sucked. I did a little research, and mine has the correct recoil spring assembly, but the old ejector. I bent my old ejector a little now, and went and test fired it and it helped a little, but still cuts it close to hitting my head. I called Glock yesterday and they told me to send it back and wouldn't sell parts to anyone who isn't a glock armorer, even said about sending the part to our shop since we have two certified gunsmiths and that wouldn't do for them. I asked a friend at the local prison to ask their armorer to order the new ejector for me and he said he would, so that's covered for now.

The trigger is a tad better with the new connector, and I'm going to keep playing with different springs as well to see what I like.

Overall, accurate, can be reliable with the right ammo and correctly designed parts, and glock's customer service is a joke. No where even close to other companies I've dealt with. I even offered to pay for the part, and that still wouldn't fly with them. I told them I'd let everyone know at our store of their service, and I've been doing my best. A few others that had to deal with them in the past said the same thing I said, basically they're useless.

It'll still end up being a carry gun, and I do like the gun itself. Just going to keep messing the trigger till I find exactly what I like, but as it is now I'm more then happy with it (I didn't expect a custom 1911 trigger going into it of course).

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Mar 2012, 19:56

smpsmp wrote:Well I went out and shot a few hundred rounds the other night, and wasn't impressed. Every casing hit my in the forehead, top of head, in the glasses, and a few went down the back of my shirt. It was accurate enough, and glocks always surprised me there, but the whole getting hit with casings every shot sucked. I did a little research, and mine has the correct recoil spring assembly, but the old ejector. I bent my old ejector a little now, and went and test fired it and it helped a little, but still cuts it close to hitting my head. I called Glock yesterday and they told me to send it back and wouldn't sell parts to anyone who isn't a glock armorer, even said about sending the part to our shop since we have two certified gunsmiths and that wouldn't do for them. I asked a friend at the local prison to ask their armorer to order the new ejector for me and he said he would, so that's covered for now.

The trigger is a tad better with the new connector, and I'm going to keep playing with different springs as well to see what I like.

Overall, accurate, can be reliable with the right ammo and correctly designed parts, and glock's customer service is a joke. No where even close to other companies I've dealt with. I even offered to pay for the part, and that still wouldn't fly with them. I told them I'd let everyone know at our store of their service, and I've been doing my best. A few others that had to deal with them in the past said the same thing I said, basically they're useless.

It'll still end up being a carry gun, and I do like the gun itself. Just going to keep messing the trigger till I find exactly what I like, but as it is now I'm more then happy with it (I didn't expect a custom 1911 trigger going into it of course).
Aw crap you bought a newer Gen 3 or Gen 4. I read up a lot on this on Glocktalk. They're all kinds of screwed up in the extractors, because Glock made the same mistake a thousand other companies made; they outsourced it to the wrong people. Ask EA, they've had issues with their contracted people.

If you want something done right... do it yourself, right :)

I'm sure EA would, if they had the time and bought he machines haha

Glock screwed up, big time. You can go on the threads and read horror story after horror story. People try changing extractors, using Lone Wolf extractors, springs, dremeling, calling Glock and sending their gun in, some getting shipping paid, some not, Glock offering to replace their entire guns for a handful depending on what time of the day is, and for others, refusing to send them the newer extractors which don't even solve the problem, anyway...

just a bunch of crap service, basically.

I don't like to bash on anyone or anything, Glock included; I'm just stating what I've seen. I've shot 3 Gen 4 9mm glocks, and they all worked fine. They must not have been part of the bad batches, because you literally see a new story pop up everyday. Unless there was a giant conspiracy to pay people to post bad experiences on Glocktalk...

I'm sure you will get yours figured out! :) At least yours is extracting! Many have stovepipes after stovepipes!
Shoot more, worry less.

brianz

Post by brianz » 01 Apr 2012, 09:36

I guess I just have good luck with guns. I got an FsN with a great trigger and a Glock 23 Gen 4 that hasn't had a single hiccup no matter what ammo, factory or reload, I put through it.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 01 Apr 2012, 14:21

Gen 4 9mm glocks had the problem, not the 40s.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 01 Apr 2012, 16:45

I pretty sure I got it fixed. It's not that the gun wasn't extracting, it was just throwing them straight in my face rather then to the side. Getting hit in the forehead with brass is annoying at worst, but some hit my glasses and if I didn't have shooting glasses a few could have been right in the eye.

The problem seems to be the ejector hitting the casing almost straight on rather then to the side of the casing. I took a pair of pliers and bent it to the left (looking at it from back to front) and it's hitting the casings more to the side. I'm going to wait and see what the new ejector looks like when I get it from my friend at the prison.

I did look up and it seems Glock was replacing ejectors stamped 336 on the gen 4 9mm's with a different one stamped (I don't remember the number the now and will have to look it up), and that seems to have solved the issues (besides the initial recall on the recoil spring assembly they had).

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 15:42

Tactical and Glock fanboys rejoice;

Lipsey's now has a deal with Glock to procure FDE/black models of Glocks.

I can already here the fanboys screaming.
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 02 Apr 2012, 18:20

If I collected Glocks I'd buy one just because, or if I could get them at cost like I do with Bonitz Brothers I'd consider them too, but since I don't I'll stick with saving money and stick with all black. The only deciding factor would have been just because it's something different. And I'd prefer green anyway over tan. I did like the OD ones they had before, it'd be my St. Pattys Day gun, but for now the Five Seven fits that role.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 18:50

smpsmp wrote:If I collected Glocks I'd buy one just because, or if I could get them at cost like I do with Bonitz Brothers I'd consider them too, but since I don't I'll stick with saving money and stick with all black. The only deciding factor would have been just because it's something different. And I'd prefer green anyway over tan. I did like the OD ones they had before, it'd be my St. Pattys Day gun, but for now the Five Seven fits that role.
I'm with you, I like the OD's! :)
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 02 Apr 2012, 20:23

blueorison wrote:Tactical and Glock fanboys rejoice;

so everyone with a FDE FsN is a tactical fanboy? I'm not following your reasoning.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 21:22

srt-4_jon wrote:
blueorison wrote:Tactical and Glock fanboys rejoice;

so everyone with a FDE FsN is a tactical fanboy? I'm not following your reasoning.
I'm REALLY not following YOUR reasoning, as I didn't say this at all.

Correlation =/= Causation. Read my sig and rejoice :thumb: :)
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 28 Apr 2012, 14:14

The Glock pistol, stock, performs quite well. The grip does not fit my hand well, as there is a big gap in my palm and an absence of weld. But, as always, overcome and conquer! (Or, I tried my best... :lmao: )

Shoot more, worry less.

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 20 May 2012, 14:03

I started out as a serious 1911 platform nut. The Glock has replaced them for serious social wear, however. I morphed from full size to compact to mini, as I find them easier to carry.

One strange experience has recently come up that I cannot explain. I picked up a Gen 1 G17, cheap enough to buy, just because. I can blow the black out of a bull at 25 yards with my G26/27/30/35, but the full size G17 targets look like I used a shot gun with buck. It is like learning the pistol all over again. Not sure if the issue is due to the early configuration grip, or what, but it seems much more difficult to shoot well. It is a pleasant gun to shoot, but is frustrating and intriguing.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 21 May 2012, 06:16

blueorison wrote:The Glock pistol, stock, performs quite well. The grip does not fit my hand well, as there is a big gap in my palm and an absence of weld. But, as always, overcome and conquer! (Or, I tried my best... :lmao: )

http://www.gripreductions.com/AboutUs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I never was a glock fan, but after getting a 3rd Gen G19 as part of a trade, I see some merits. Now actually looking for a few used/abused G17's, even willing to trade that G19. What parts, if any, are actually made of stainless steel? I know the Glock is supposed to be the AK of pistols, but unless you can eliminate rust, I don't see it being any more reliable than anything else.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 21 May 2012, 06:28

theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 11 Jun 2012, 17:09

So I was waiting and waiting for the Gen 4 g20 and or 29 to come out so I could get my first glock and first 10mm. I finally get sick of waiting and cop a g17 and less then 2 weeks later the Gen 4 10s are released... totally my luck. Looks like I will have to kick the hustle into overdrive so I can bring one of these home...

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 09 Jul 2012, 06:03

Regards the question of what parts are made of stainless steel: Maybe none. Not sure of the connector bar, but I was told that everything else was tennifer treated steel, which is pretty rust resistant in itself. If you put great huge gouges on the frame you will get some corrosion (rust), but it takes a bit of doing to get through the tennifer. By the way, the normal outside finish on the slide of the glock is not the tennifer, just another protective coating. Tennifer is basically similar to case hardening.

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 09 Jul 2012, 06:05

Mister Freeze: PM sent.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 09 Jul 2012, 08:03

if you gouge the frame, you will not get any corrosion.

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 09 Jul 2012, 16:46

Well, if you have ever watched the now famous G-21 abuse series, you will see that the slide will corrode once you get through the tennifer. I guess my last post might have left you with the impression I was talking about the frame... my bad.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 10 Jul 2012, 13:36

Why would I think that?
s64woody wrote:If you put great huge gouges on the frame you will get some corrosion (rust),

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 10 Jul 2012, 15:53

I blame it on writer's cramps, brain cramps, something like that.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 10 Jul 2012, 18:27

Could have been butt cramps too.

Finally got my new ejector too, and the G19 is no longer sending brass to the face. But that was the only thing I did to it to help with it either. It was a bunch of little things.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Jul 2012, 19:01

smpsmp wrote:Could have been butt cramps too.

Finally got my new ejector too, and the G19 is no longer sending brass to the face. But that was the only thing I did to it to help with it either. It was a bunch of little things.
Was.. or wasn't?
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Jul 2012, 19:05

Butt cramps must be acting up again
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 11 Jul 2012, 21:24

Yep butt cramps.

It wasn't the only "fix" I did to the G19. I originally switched out the extractor for a lone wolf one, it helped a little. Then polished the extractor plunger, it helped a little more. Then got the new ejector, and it helped a little more. With each fix I ended up with less brass to the face, and now it's running perfect.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 09 Aug 2012, 05:09

I hate to admit it, but I guess I'm a Glock convert now. I have 2 Gen3 G17's. Just one question, though...

Why the difference? Waiting on Blue's expertise, but perhaps someone is quicker on the draw?

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 09 Aug 2012, 06:37

Crisper Mag insertion?

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 09 Aug 2012, 06:45

The missing part is not quite as wide as the magwell. Blue suggested a possible mod for faster mag changes, allowing a greater insertion angle, but this is not the case. The edge is smooth and glossy as if it had been molded in rather than cut

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 09 Aug 2012, 09:43

I agree that it will or should give a more solid point for mag insertion. With the cut out it seems as though a mag could slip forward during reloading.
I'll need to look at mine and see

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 09 Aug 2012, 16:07

HSLD
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Aug 2012, 16:29

Mister Freeze wrote:The missing part is not quite as wide as the magwell. Blue suggested a possible mod for faster mag changes, allowing a greater insertion angle, but this is not the case. The edge is smooth and glossy as if it had been molded in rather than cut
It's modified. When I modify my guns with this frame cut, it is extremely difficult with the naked eye to tell that it did not come from factory as such. The polymers used in these plastic guns cut very smooth. I hardly sandpaper.
Shoot more, worry less.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 09 Aug 2012, 16:43

Mister Freeze wrote: I know the Glock is supposed to be the AK of pistols, but unless you can eliminate rust, I don't see it being any more reliable than anything else.
That reputation could get a lot of people killed. I had that same impression when I bought my G27. I think I've cleaned it maybe three or four times. I've been carrying it around all year figuring I was OK...but NO, big mistake. I recently discovered that almost every time I pull the slide back it locks in place and I actually have to slap it to get it to snap forward... Even happens when I shoot it... Its basically like carrying a T/C for SD at the moment... Thinking about all those times I carried it in that condition gives me the willies :cry: She's getting a good cleaning and lube job before I even think about carrying it again.

The irony is I'd always grab it when my FsN hadn't been cleaned since its last shooting cause I thought it'd be more reliable.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 09 Aug 2012, 18:45

blueorison wrote:
Mister Freeze wrote:The missing part is not quite as wide as the magwell. Blue suggested a possible mod for faster mag changes, allowing a greater insertion angle, but this is not the case. The edge is smooth and glossy as if it had been molded in rather than cut
It's modified. When I modify my guns with this frame cut, it is extremely difficult with the naked eye to tell that it did not come from factory as such. The polymers used in these plastic guns cut very smooth. I hardly sandpaper.
B- It REALLY doesn't look cut, but whatever. I've shown you mine... show me yours!

G- I have a bad habit of not cleaning my guns, but I do keep them lubed. Are you sure you don't just have a worn mag from so much carry?

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 09 Aug 2012, 18:57

Happens regardless of mag... so i'm guessing its mostly my fault.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 Aug 2012, 19:07

Is your firing hand thumb riding up under the slide release while you pull the slide back?
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 15 Aug 2012, 16:23

Just want to report, Over 1k rounds through my G17G4 and no brass to the dome... WaHoo!