The Glock Pistol

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10625
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2012, 16:57

Factory ammo is crap, even from "hotter" mfg reloaders. I'm looking to EA to solve this problem with the SIG round.

Other than that, you can load SIG to ~1600fps. Handloads.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2012, 18:19

If you want a fast 9mm projectile, you could get a G20 and a 9x25 barrel. reloading cost wouldnt be much more expensive either.

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10625
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2012, 18:57

The .357SIG does not use a 9mm projectile. The construction is different. Just an FYI, might be unrelated to what you commented, SRT.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2012, 21:40

by 9mm projectile, i meant the size.

User avatar
Cyberfly
Global Moderator
Posts: 10605
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 18:44
custom title: Mens Room Attendant
Location: SE OKlahoma

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by Cyberfly » 31 Jan 2012, 07:49

I understand all the reasoning behind the Glock fans and their love of the weapon. I drove a G20 for years with the SO and other than being a 1st Gen and the frame cracking, it seemed to be a fine weapon. I just never could get past the grip angle. It never felt 'right' in my hand. I always qualified with it and always scored well with her, but she was uncomfortable.
The SO replaced the 1st Gens with 3rd Gens and I drove a 3rd Gen for a while until the Sheriff gave us permission to use our own personal weapon (as long as we were qualified with it) and I bounced from 9MM, .40 to the FsN back to 10MM.
I thought about maybe one day picking up another Glock and maybe seeing if I could find some Hogue grips or 'something' to correct the grip angle, but never really saw it through. There were just so many other pistols out there that fit my hand better and felt like a natural extension of my arm. The Sig P226T, the FsN, the Ruger P95 and P89, the FNP40. Maybe one day I'll run across a deal I can't refuse on a G20 and try again, but unless I really think I can compensate for that grip angle..I may well pass on it.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

JTSX1
Junior Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 18:11

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by JTSX1 » 31 Jan 2012, 20:37

Hmmm...first time shot a G19, I noticed how bad the angle was and how uncomfortable it was for me to shoot (I had to uncomfortably angle my wrist downward). I've since acquired a G27 (not sure if the fames are the same I just got used to it or what) in which i shoot just fine with. I was mesmerized by the hype surrounding the sig .357 round, so I went a head and bought a G32 (S&W M&P was available to , but like Glock trigger better) and just can't get as accurate with it, even taking my time and slow firing. It also fails to feed more often than anything else I've fired, minus DB9, and that's using your standard 1300 fps range ammo. Anyone else have this issue of not being accurate with this round or glock model ? I've shortened the reset and severely lightened the trigger with no luck...I definitely prefer the 27 to carry--that 32 trigger is way too light.

Mister Freeze
Senior Member
Posts: 1627
Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 11:11
custom title: 159.6
Location: Somewhere in Texas

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by Mister Freeze » 06 Feb 2012, 13:42

Recently got a G19 as part of a trade. I've fired Glocks before, and am no fanboy, but having this one around a little while, I can see some of the appeal. The simplicity of the whole point-and-shoot is good, and the construction seems good.

I can see keeping it if there wasn't anything else I'd prefer to have (PLR-16 these days). I'll sell it or trade it when a deal comes along.

p99guy
Member
Posts: 316
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 11:46
Location: Fort Worth,Texas

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by p99guy » 18 Mar 2012, 22:06

I picked up a G31 a couple of weeks ago, and put the extended controls on it, the rubber decal grips, AmeriGlo "Operator" night sights, and a add on beavertail that is out now,
Called a Grip Force Adapter.... They are worth getting by the way.
I have liked the .357 Sig for a while, my first a Sig P229 in that caliber.

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12125
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Mar 2012, 23:07

p99guy wrote:I picked up a G31 a couple of weeks ago, and put the extended controls on it, the rubber decal grips, AmeriGlo "Operator" night sights, and a add on beavertail that is out now,
Called a Grip Force Adapter.... They are worth getting by the way.
I have liked the .357 Sig for a while, my first a Sig P229 in that caliber.
:ttiwwp:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

SeaHawkDriver-B
Senior Member
Posts: 989
Joined: 11 Nov 2009, 13:15
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory
Contact:

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Mar 2012, 13:05

G31 is the first Glock I ever owned; liked the gun, but the caliber never caught on with me. I liked the "idea" of the .357 Sig more than actually scrounging for super expensive ammo all the time. Eventually I got sick of looking/paying for it, traded the G31 in on a G17C and haven't looked-back since.

smpsmp
Member
Posts: 390
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 21:27

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by smpsmp » 25 Mar 2012, 23:31

We've had a gen 4 glock 19 sitting in the shop since november, and finally the other day I got sick of looking at it. I figured what the hell, I don't own a glock, they don't point naturally for me, but I still should buy it. Just waiting for my night sights, ghost 4.5 pound connector, and some extra mags to come in. I'm not against the factory trigger altogether, but I'm curious to see how the ghost connector makes it feel. I went and ordered a comp tac owb holster for it too if I ever end up carrying it. I did practice the other day just pointing and aiming with it, and I think I solved my problem I had of them never pointing naturally for me. It's not the grip angle alone that was getting me (the P7 uses the same angle and points naturally for me), it was a mix of the angle, the bump at bottom of the grip where the main spring would be if it had one, and how low the bore axis is compared to da/sa guns. Now I just have to find time to get out and shoot.

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10625
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 25 Mar 2012, 23:44

smpsmp wrote:We've had a gen 4 glock 19 sitting in the shop since november, and finally the other day I got sick of looking at it. I figured what the hell, I don't own a glock, they don't point naturally for me, but I still should buy it. Just waiting for my night sights, ghost 4.5 pound connector, and some extra mags to come in. I'm not against the factory trigger altogether, but I'm curious to see how the ghost connector makes it feel. I went and ordered a comp tac owb holster for it too if I ever end up carrying it. I did practice the other day just pointing and aiming with it, and I think I solved my problem I had of them never pointing naturally for me. It's not the grip angle alone that was getting me (the P7 uses the same angle and points naturally for me), it was a mix of the angle, the bump at bottom of the grip where the main spring would be if it had one, and how low the bore axis is compared to da/sa guns. Now I just have to find time to get out and shoot.
Many add aftermarket parts, and some of those many end up going back to factory parts, in the end. It's nice to try. I've tried $200+ triggers in other shooters' Glocks. My Glock is tuned by me for me, with factory parts, except for a spring or two. I do have a Ghost Rocket, but do not use it in the gun. I'm sure you will like yours, and am looking forward to hearing about it. I'm glad you gave it a chance.

I am with you on the grip angle. The Glock, like many guns, points high for me. The Glock points high for many. The bump on the grip pushes the bottom of my palm; I just have to adapt to the Glock and change my grip to fit the platform. Many Glock owners send in their Glocks for the tacticool stippling and reduction, because it's the "it thing", just like high school, instead of learning how "it" works.

I bought my Glock with the reduction and stippling done to it; I don't use stippling or grip-tape on my shooting platforms, so I put electrical tape over it. However, because .357SIG is expensive, after shooting and training with ammunition I was sponsored, I shoot borrowed Glocks in competition. They are stock with the bump.

We are quick to change things and try new things. Sometimes, not forgetting the old is the truest.

:cya:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp
Member
Posts: 390
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 21:27

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by smpsmp » 26 Mar 2012, 15:42

I think with the combination of the bump, angle, and low bore axis the quickest fix is to just lift my arms up higher. It's not as natural feeling, but it works. This is one gun I plan on leaving fairly stock (except for the night sights), and I'll see how the trigger works out. I figured for the cost of the part if I don't like it then I'm not out much and I'll just karma it off here, and if I do like it then great. I'm not against the stock trigger all together, but I'm more curious then anything to see what kind of a difference it makes.

smpsmp
Member
Posts: 390
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 21:27

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by smpsmp » 30 Mar 2012, 19:28

Well I went out and shot a few hundred rounds the other night, and wasn't impressed. Every casing hit my in the forehead, top of head, in the glasses, and a few went down the back of my shirt. It was accurate enough, and glocks always surprised me there, but the whole getting hit with casings every shot sucked. I did a little research, and mine has the correct recoil spring assembly, but the old ejector. I bent my old ejector a little now, and went and test fired it and it helped a little, but still cuts it close to hitting my head. I called Glock yesterday and they told me to send it back and wouldn't sell parts to anyone who isn't a glock armorer, even said about sending the part to our shop since we have two certified gunsmiths and that wouldn't do for them. I asked a friend at the local prison to ask their armorer to order the new ejector for me and he said he would, so that's covered for now.

The trigger is a tad better with the new connector, and I'm going to keep playing with different springs as well to see what I like.

Overall, accurate, can be reliable with the right ammo and correctly designed parts, and glock's customer service is a joke. No where even close to other companies I've dealt with. I even offered to pay for the part, and that still wouldn't fly with them. I told them I'd let everyone know at our store of their service, and I've been doing my best. A few others that had to deal with them in the past said the same thing I said, basically they're useless.

It'll still end up being a carry gun, and I do like the gun itself. Just going to keep messing the trigger till I find exactly what I like, but as it is now I'm more then happy with it (I didn't expect a custom 1911 trigger going into it of course).

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10625
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 30 Mar 2012, 19:56

smpsmp wrote:Well I went out and shot a few hundred rounds the other night, and wasn't impressed. Every casing hit my in the forehead, top of head, in the glasses, and a few went down the back of my shirt. It was accurate enough, and glocks always surprised me there, but the whole getting hit with casings every shot sucked. I did a little research, and mine has the correct recoil spring assembly, but the old ejector. I bent my old ejector a little now, and went and test fired it and it helped a little, but still cuts it close to hitting my head. I called Glock yesterday and they told me to send it back and wouldn't sell parts to anyone who isn't a glock armorer, even said about sending the part to our shop since we have two certified gunsmiths and that wouldn't do for them. I asked a friend at the local prison to ask their armorer to order the new ejector for me and he said he would, so that's covered for now.

The trigger is a tad better with the new connector, and I'm going to keep playing with different springs as well to see what I like.

Overall, accurate, can be reliable with the right ammo and correctly designed parts, and glock's customer service is a joke. No where even close to other companies I've dealt with. I even offered to pay for the part, and that still wouldn't fly with them. I told them I'd let everyone know at our store of their service, and I've been doing my best. A few others that had to deal with them in the past said the same thing I said, basically they're useless.

It'll still end up being a carry gun, and I do like the gun itself. Just going to keep messing the trigger till I find exactly what I like, but as it is now I'm more then happy with it (I didn't expect a custom 1911 trigger going into it of course).
Aw crap you bought a newer Gen 3 or Gen 4. I read up a lot on this on Glocktalk. They're all kinds of screwed up in the extractors, because Glock made the same mistake a thousand other companies made; they outsourced it to the wrong people. Ask EA, they've had issues with their contracted people.

If you want something done right... do it yourself, right :)

I'm sure EA would, if they had the time and bought he machines haha

Glock screwed up, big time. You can go on the threads and read horror story after horror story. People try changing extractors, using Lone Wolf extractors, springs, dremeling, calling Glock and sending their gun in, some getting shipping paid, some not, Glock offering to replace their entire guns for a handful depending on what time of the day is, and for others, refusing to send them the newer extractors which don't even solve the problem, anyway...

just a bunch of crap service, basically.

I don't like to bash on anyone or anything, Glock included; I'm just stating what I've seen. I've shot 3 Gen 4 9mm glocks, and they all worked fine. They must not have been part of the bad batches, because you literally see a new story pop up everyday. Unless there was a giant conspiracy to pay people to post bad experiences on Glocktalk...

I'm sure you will get yours figured out! :) At least yours is extracting! Many have stovepipes after stovepipes!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

brianz
Junior Member
Posts: 44
Joined: 12 Mar 2012, 08:40

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by brianz » 01 Apr 2012, 09:36

I guess I just have good luck with guns. I got an FsN with a great trigger and a Glock 23 Gen 4 that hasn't had a single hiccup no matter what ammo, factory or reload, I put through it.

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by srt-4_jon » 01 Apr 2012, 14:21

Gen 4 9mm glocks had the problem, not the 40s.

smpsmp
Member
Posts: 390
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 21:27

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by smpsmp » 01 Apr 2012, 16:45

I pretty sure I got it fixed. It's not that the gun wasn't extracting, it was just throwing them straight in my face rather then to the side. Getting hit in the forehead with brass is annoying at worst, but some hit my glasses and if I didn't have shooting glasses a few could have been right in the eye.

The problem seems to be the ejector hitting the casing almost straight on rather then to the side of the casing. I took a pair of pliers and bent it to the left (looking at it from back to front) and it's hitting the casings more to the side. I'm going to wait and see what the new ejector looks like when I get it from my friend at the prison.

I did look up and it seems Glock was replacing ejectors stamped 336 on the gen 4 9mm's with a different one stamped (I don't remember the number the now and will have to look it up), and that seems to have solved the issues (besides the initial recall on the recoil spring assembly they had).

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10625
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 02 Apr 2012, 15:42

Tactical and Glock fanboys rejoice;

Lipsey's now has a deal with Glock to procure FDE/black models of Glocks.

I can already here the fanboys screaming.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp
Member
Posts: 390
Joined: 17 Jan 2011, 21:27

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by smpsmp » 02 Apr 2012, 18:20

If I collected Glocks I'd buy one just because, or if I could get them at cost like I do with Bonitz Brothers I'd consider them too, but since I don't I'll stick with saving money and stick with all black. The only deciding factor would have been just because it's something different. And I'd prefer green anyway over tan. I did like the OD ones they had before, it'd be my St. Pattys Day gun, but for now the Five Seven fits that role.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest