The Glock Pistol

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

The Glock Pistol

Post by blueorison » 16 Sep 2011, 15:49

Most effortless stock pistol to reload, ever. Maybe because I'm used to reloading into 1911-style 0 bevel magwells.

Have shot many glocks at IPSC. My favourite Glock modification is still none. I like it the way it is. Many think that it is not good enough. Extended this, that, and the kitchen sink. I still prefer the low-profile slide release. I do realize that some just like modifying the gun for fun.

Glocks jam, just like any other gun.

They are fun to shoot, and their mags are easier to load than the majority of guns I've used.

Glock should have held onto their best designer; their latest Gen4 release has seen a plunge in QC.

I shoot the .357SIG G31 in competition (when I find cheap ammo!). I do it for training and to improve and learn. That is my focus; and not upon numbers.

I like glocks.

Last edited by blueorison on 18 Mar 2012, 22:20, edited 3 times in total.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

hookdriver

Re: The Glock Pistol

Post by hookdriver » 16 Sep 2011, 16:11

I too enjoy the glock pistol very much. A G19 is my carry pistol and I have the same light as that in your pictures. I've made some mods to mine -- mostly for fun and learning how the pistol works. It is pretty good right out of the box. I've never shot the 357 sig. I'll have to see if they have one at the local range. Cheers

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 16 Sep 2011, 16:17

There is a g31 for sale on backpage near me with and threaded barrel.

I want but don't need.

I just hate the stock sights on Glocks, change them and it is a fin shooting pistol

My master plan it to get a .40 CZ P07 and have the custom shop convert it to 357 sig

It would run me around $220 but I am highly considering it.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 16 Sep 2011, 17:48

I'm not a fan of glocks. It has nothing to do with the way they function or quality; I just can't get past the looks. They are so blah and uninteresting looking. I'm a sucker for aesthetics. I shoot my 357 sigs from an XD, which also seems to be a pretty polarizing gun. I really love it.

I love the 357 sig. It may be my favorite pistol cartridge. I love my 5.7, but there's just something about the percussive boom and hefty recoil on the sig that strikes my fancy. BTW Blue, I should have those on their way to you Monday.

I have a low light video of the 357 in action. The muzzle flash is pretty massive. This is my buddy shooting my XD.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 Sep 2011, 18:00

My thoughts are, the .357SIG is what the 9mm should have been. However, with current bullet tech and design, the 9mm is fine by me.

Thanks for sharing, Visceral :) I'll shoot a stage with your reloads at the next night match and borrow a camera to capture the muzzle flashes.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Post by PainKillaX » 16 Sep 2011, 18:20

I understand why people like 'em, but it's not anywhere near my favorite. Then again, I've gained a lot of experience and time with other handguns since then, so it's probably time to give a Glock a try again.

drkstrw

Post by drkstrw » 16 Sep 2011, 18:56

I like the .357sig. Have an Hk P2000SK in .357sig its what i use mostly for a carry gun.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Sep 2011, 19:23

I've only shot one glock & I didn't like the way the grip was angled. Usually, when I shoot I feel like I am pointing at the target, not so with the glock. In order to line the sights with the target it felt like I was shooting downward.

It shot fine & didn't jam for the few rounds I put through it (1 full mag) & I can understand why people like them but they're not for me. I've also seen them take a lot of abuse & function perfectly. The only thing I would like to point out is that the glock 10mm chambers are unsupported & as a result one cannot safely reload those rounds unless they buy the custom barrel. In that case, some "custom" work is necessary IMO.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

eVenom

Post by eVenom » 16 Sep 2011, 19:34

I dont like the grip of the glocks... Most people that I know that own one cover it with something

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 Sep 2011, 21:00

@Irish:

I usually point naturally with guns that I have shot, such that the front sight lines up with the rear. However, with some, such as the glock, the front sight may point high or low, usually depending on the heel or tail ergonomics and frontstrap/backstrap design of the pistol. With glocks, I do the opposite that you do. I naturally point very high with glocks. I just make myself learn to the gun; shooter > gear. However, I agree that it's much better to shoot a gun you shoot naturally with. That's why I do have a primary platform I use.

@Rapier:

I have to agree. Glock barrels are completely inexcusable the way they are. For a modern combat pistol, they should be fully supported. Thanks for pointing that out. I'd forgotten about it. I've seen many custom barrels in glocks.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Sep 2011, 03:16

The barrels are that way so everything will feed.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 17 Sep 2011, 07:24

I've only been "handgunning" for about a decade; I dont consider myself experienced by a long shot (no pun intended). When I first started out, I harbored a lot of negative feelings towards Glock based on what seemed to be a lot of hype about nothing but a plastic gun with very little in the way of features, ergonomics, looks, or charm.

I also got VERY used to shooting my three HK's (that I had at the time), and fell into that german-made HK snobbery where nothing could be as good as an upper-end USP. At one point about ten years ago, that may have been somewhat true.

My first Glock, ironically, was a G31 full size in .357 Sig. I bought it becuase I wanted to get into shooting the .357 due to its amazing ballastics without spending a huge amount of cash, and they had a G31 marked down to $425 NIB with night sights... Sold! From that point on, my outlook on Glocks changed after becoming an actual Glock owner.

I started shooting more and more, and started carrying more and more. What I slowly realized is that the Glock, with all its "blandness" was actually an ingenous design that did things BETTER than pistols that cost literally twice or three times as much.

- Bottom line, it was SIMPLE. No safety to click-off, no hammer exposed, no takedown lever (per say), the lines were angular but clean and snag-free. It disassembled in seconds into only 3 major parts. It was meant for one purpose, POINT --- SQUEEZE, it was in essence "the revolver of automatics". By eliminating or minimizing the external controls, Gaston Glock actually made the pistol more effective in its end purpose, which is to draw a weapon in a stressful life or death situation and USE IT. Not a target gun, not a range queen, not a safe queen, not some rhbe-goldberg german work of precision machinery... No muscle-memory required... POINT-- SQUEEZE.

- It was infinately customizable. Dont like the grips, sights, barrels, springs, triggers? Fine, a dozen companies make cheap and high-quality parts to suit whatever you want. I have match barrels on all my Glocks now, as well as night sights, threaded barrels, compensators, suppressors, compensators, lasers, lights, and the kitchen sink.

- It was insanely reliable. When it comes to any machine, the less moving parts it has, the more reliable it is.. thats the first lesson you learn in any 200-level college ME course. Glock nailed it, and even though the tolerence are very lose on some aspect of the gun, its so it makes sure it will feed anything from the cheapest Wolf crap ammo, to the most expsneive match. Again, more effective in its end purpose, POINT --- SQUEEZE --- BOOM.

-It was low and sleek. The axis of the recoil force, which is centered and perpendicular to the barrel, is very close to the center of mass, and the center of area, which means the gun rotates less becuase it has less moment (torque) generated when you shoot it. Most of that force instead is generated into an axial movement rearward, reducing muzzel flip and increasing controllability. Say what you want about your personal experiences, but these are the physics.

-It is interchangable and offered in a variety of sizes. For the purposes of SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, Glocks are the only pistol I'll ever carry. They're as popular and plentiful as AR-15's, and parts would never be an issue, I have extra barrels, trigger packs, springs, and more for just about every one of my Glocks. I can pack 33rd happy sticks for my wife's G26, my G19, as well as bring along my G17C with suppressor and G34L all in the same bag and everything is interchangable, including the mags. I can shoot multiple calibers out of the same guns with my G20 and G29 all day long, 10/.40/.357/9x25, or just swap out the slide on the 10'mms and shoot .45. They're light and low profile, easy to conceal, reliable, and perfect for defensive situations, weather it be zombies or roving mobs of civil unrest.

I now own 7 Glocks, and I plan on adding a few more. I've sold off most of the other major brands of pistols I have, except for 3 FN's, A few Smith and Wesson wheel guns, and one big-ass Desert Eagle just for fun.

Glock got it right on the first time, and if you look at copy-cats like the Springfield XD or new Rugers, they're all trying to mimick the original.

Just my .02 on Glocks.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 17 Sep 2011, 08:25

Actually agree with Sea! Springfield is a direct knock off of Glocks along with many ther NEW polymer pistols. Why do you think Springfield branched out into polymer handguns?
Last read I had was that 60-65% of L.E. issue or carry Glocks, along with a good percentage of military units. Looks aren't everything or really anything when it comes to weapons, its all about point and shoot. Most inexperienced shooter will pick up a Glock over other brands and be able to point, shoot, and hit a target easier and faster with a Glock. I have seen it in my time working in gun stores and renting out weapons to those who are just getting into the market.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Sep 2011, 08:48

@Sea:

The G31 was my first glock, also.

I like guns that do not have safeties. I do not use safeties. A big reason why I like the glock. The term "Glock safety" is a joke; the glock has 0 external safeties.

The glock is my favourite pistol to teach beginners on, because it has nothing out of the ordinary and share many characteristics with many guns. It is thus easier to relate to a broad number of pistols.
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 17 Sep 2011, 08:54

$20 bucks says Irish comes in and tells Sea how full of crap he is and dissagrees with everything!

hehe, just clown`n. Please dont ban me...

Unfortunately for me I shot my first glock at the same time I shot my first Sig 226. I think the sig shot so well that it just made the glock seem like it shot like crap.

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Post by PainKillaX » 17 Sep 2011, 09:00

MikeSantor wrote:$20 bucks says Irish comes in and tells Sea how full of crap he is and dissagrees with everything!

hehe, just clown`n. Please dont ban me...

Unfortunately for me I shot my first glock at the same time I shot my first Sig 226. I think the sig shot so well that it just made the glock seem like it shot like crap.
It doesn't count when you say it out loud! :p

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 17 Sep 2011, 09:57

Just to point this out; there is no original gun design. Everyone copies everyone. All guns, just as any product, evolve from inspiration from other designs. Knocking a company for that is just having a hipster attitude. Saying oh, they did it first and that's when I liked it.

I don't like glocks because I don't like the way the look or feel. $500 is a lot of money to me and I'm not going to pay that on something which I don't enjoy every aspect. I have contemplated purchasing a glock in 9mm several times, but I can't make myself go for it.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 17 Sep 2011, 10:05

Visceral_Malice wrote:Just to point this out; there is no original gun design. Everyone copies everyone. All guns, just as any product, evolve from inspiration from other designs. Knocking a company for that is just having a hipster attitude. Saying oh, they did it first and that's when I liked it.

I don't like glocks because I don't like the way the look or feel. $500 is a lot of money to me and I'm not going to pay that on something which I don't enjoy every aspect. I have contemplated purchasing a glock in 9mm several times, but I can't make myself go for it.
I did and sold it quickly.
I simply prefer the CZ platform, and for a poly gun I would prefer a steyr or P07

Not saying they are not good pistols, just not for me.

RC57

Post by RC57 » 17 Sep 2011, 11:58

Had my G19 out at the range today. It was my first handgun, and I bought used right out of one of Bud's safes 17 years ago. Still works perfectly. Never had a FTF or FTE with thousands of rounds. The only change I made to it from stock was to add a Hogue grip. It's not my favorite pistol, but I must say, the thing is just plain stupid reliable. It's also easy to shoot well enough to handle any situation that may arise.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Sep 2011, 13:11

blueorison wrote:
I like guns that do not have safeties. I do not use safeties. A big reason why I like the glock. The term "Glock safety" is a joke; the glock has 0 external safeties.
Notice it says Glock safety and not glock external safeties. The Glock safeties are meant to stop the gun from going off by itself, not when you pull the trigger.