9MM Guns

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
57js

Re: 9MM Guns

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 09:27

blueorison wrote:
57js wrote:
blueorison wrote:Get the steel version. If you like polymer guns (I like them the same as steel, doesn't matter to me) then you could get the Phantom. I would recommend the steel version for you, however.

The Phantom fits really nicely in your hand, also, and is lighter. I would pay the difference and go for steel for a range gun.
I can't find any of the CZ's for a reasonable price in stock at my usual places, but they all have the IMI steel version. Is the CZ that much better where I should wait for it to come in or is the IMI version very similar? I don't mind waiting a bit (Nevada'a NICS CCW exemption is in flux right now), but don't want to wait four or five months.

Thanks.
Buy it online. The member on my team who bought the Pre-B got his for $280 off Wideners. Buds would be a good place, as is gunbroker.

There is no big difference between the SP01 and 75B as far as being a range gun. They are both good.
I did go onto Bud's, and they don't have either the 75B or SP01 though they do have the Phantom for $520. My local place has the 75B, but when it would cost $60 more. Gunbroker is also higher than Buds when you add in shipping as Buds has free shipping. I should be notified when it comes in, but who knows how long that will be.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 04 Sep 2011, 14:51

I just mentioned a few sites. There are many others.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 14:57

blueorison wrote:I just mentioned a few sites. There are many others.
I did look through most of them, and Bud's or GB is usually the cheapest. I did find the CZ 75B in 40 S&W for a very good price on GB. Have you shot that model? I prefer 9mm for the price of ammo and capacity of the magazine (the CZ I found comes only with 10 round mags), but how good is the 40 S&W? I see ammo costs more than 9mm, but no where near as much as 10mm or 45s.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Sep 2011, 15:04

Stick with the 9mm.

No point paying for .40 for a range gun.

If you want to save money, get the Phantom, it's just as good as the steel.

I was out actually shooting a P01 and SP01 today. They were brand new and needed breaking in.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 04 Sep 2011, 15:15

There is a 75B at my local gun shop. Brand new, 9mm but they want $625 for it. Apparently cost for CZs went WAY up recently.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Sep 2011, 15:30

CZ's didn't go way up.

I spoke to Angus over email last year, he warned me of an approximate 10% increase.

That 75B, unless it is shiney, is overpriced.

57, I did homework for you.

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product. ... ctid=52520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There you go, it's even cheaper than the one you found.

Get it before it is gone.

Blue out.
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 16:31

flyingirish04 wrote:There is a 75B at my local gun shop. Brand new, 9mm but they want $625 for it. Apparently cost for CZs went WAY up recently.
$625 is nuts. Buds sold it for $488 when it was in stock, and my local place has it for $499 (add in 8.1% sales tax). Since so many places don't have any in stock, I suspect there is more of supply issue at this point.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 16:35

blueorison wrote:CZ's didn't go way up.

I spoke to Angus over email last year, he warned me of an approximate 10% increase.

That 75B, unless it is shiney, is overpriced.

57, I did homework for you.

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product. ... ctid=52520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There you go, it's even cheaper than the one you found.

Get it before it is gone.

Blue out.
Thank you. I was hoping for the regular steel CZ75B, but they didn't have any in stock. That place is definitely cheaper than Buds. I might want to wait for the all steel version from what everyone seems to recommend. Something up as most places are out of both the CZ75B and the steel SP01.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 16:41

blueorison wrote:Stick with the 9mm.

No point paying for .40 for a range gun.

If you want to save money, get the Phantom, it's just as good as the steel.

I was out actually shooting a P01 and SP01 today. They were brand new and needed breaking in.
I agree with you about the .40 S&W. I think the 9mm will do an excellent job as a range gun, and if I decide to carry it in the future. I found 1000 rounds of 9mm of once fired BVAC ammo for about $175.

I heard the Phantom has a different trigger feel than the steel version.

Breaking in a gun. Tough job. :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Sep 2011, 17:23

It does have a slightly different trigger, IIRC.

I know the BVAC you're talking about. I have shot it. I would go with WOLF crap 9mm over it.

After 500 rounds the trigger is revolver smooth on a CZ. I'm doing a trigger job for a member of my team as I type this, but it is unnecessary once you break your gun in.

The Phantom feels very good to shoot and manipulation in dynamic shooting.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 04 Sep 2011, 17:33

57js wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:There is a 75B at my local gun shop. Brand new, 9mm but they want $625 for it. Apparently cost for CZs went WAY up recently.
$625 is nuts. Buds sold it for $488 when it was in stock, and my local place has it for $499 (add in 8.1% sales tax). Since so many places don't have any in stock, I suspect there is more of supply issue at this point.
I know. That is what I said, and that is the story I got from the assistant manager there. I buy a lot from them, and work exclusively with the manager, who wasn't there. So I can't say for sure that is the truth. I am not in the market for a 75B anyway so I didn't push it. I did notice that the CZ Rifles were up too. Apparently they are really behind on manufacturing. They are just now getting some of the guns they ordered 6 months ago. On a good note, they have a RAMI there for $329. It was used by in good shape. I almost bought it. If it is still there Tuesday, I just may make an offer.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 04 Sep 2011, 17:38

blueorison wrote:It does have a slightly different trigger, IIRC.

I know the BVAC you're talking about. I have shot it. I would go with WOLF crap 9mm over it.

After 500 rounds the trigger is revolver smooth on a CZ. I'm doing a trigger job for a member of my team as I type this, but it is unnecessary once you break your gun in.

I actually think the Phantom is one of the best feeling poly guns out there. And I am not a poly fan at all. Don't like the feel. But the Phantom feels good. Personally, I would go with that if it is cheaper. From my experience the trigger didn't feel that different at all, but I am shooting my buddy's broke in guns when I shoot CZs.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 17:59

If you prefer Wolf to BVAC, I might as well look for some other cheap range ammo since I am not a big Wolf fan.

I shoot mostly S&W revolvers, and if the CZ trigger is that smooth once it is broken in, the gun should be great to shoot. I like the FsN, especially after having the accurazing done on it, but I really enjoy my S&W 681 trigger.

I am going to have to seriously consider the Phantom from what people are saying. Then it is off to get 9mm ammo. This is going to be an expensive week. :(

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 18:03

flyingirish04 wrote:
57js wrote:
I know. That is what I said, and that is the story I got from the assistant manager there. I buy a lot from them, and work exclusively with the manager, who wasn't there. So I can't say for sure that is the truth. I am not in the market for a 75B anyway so I didn't push it. I did notice that the CZ Rifles were up too. Apparently they are really behind on manufacturing. They are just now getting some of the guns they ordered 6 months ago. On a good note, they have a RAMI there for $329. It was used by in good shape. I almost bought it. If it is still there Tuesday, I just may make an offer.
The last year or two seems to be crazy to get guns and parts. The local store I go to didn't get in a CMMG .22LR for several months, and then only a few which didn't last too long on the shelf. I guess CZ is behind as well on some of their steel models.

I remember buying my FsN in 2009 for about $980 which I thought was high until I saw that they are now going for over $1100 around here.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Sep 2011, 18:07

flyingirish04 wrote:

I actually think the Phantom is one of the best feeling poly guns out there. And I am not a poly fan at all. Don't like the feel. But the Phantom feels good. Personally, I would go with that if it is cheaper. From my experience the trigger didn't feel that different at all, but I am shooting my buddy's broke in guns when I shoot CZs.
I shoot mostly revolvers which are steel/aluminum, and the FsN which is polymer. I might not know what I am missing with a steel semi since I never shot one before, but you and Blue have good things to stay about the Phantom so I have some serious thinking to do.

The steel CZ75B is cheaper than the Phantom, but no one has them at a decent price. The steel SP-01 is more than the Phantom. If the steel CZ 75B was available at a good price, I would go with it over the Phantom. I just wish I knew when the 75B would be in stock because if it will be in a few weeks, I will certainly wait for it.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 04 Sep 2011, 19:17

Yeah, gun parts are tight. I waited 4 months for my Lilja barrel blank. Virginia, the office manager in Plains told me she has never seen business as jumping as now.

I have had a 454 Casull Ruger Alaskan on order for 5 months. Savage has yet to release rifles they promised out in Feb. GreyBull Precision is 6 months out on their rifles, luckily their optics are only 2 months out. Burris is short scope rings even!!! The only thing that isn't tight is components for reloading. Which a couple years ago, you couldn't find.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 04 Sep 2011, 20:23

And the endorsement for the phantom is kool-aid free. I don't own a single CZ pistol, I prefer the feel and accuracy of Sigs. But I would buy a Phantom before I ever bought a poly SigPro or 250.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Sep 2011, 20:36

57js wrote:
blueorison wrote:Get the steel version. If you like polymer guns (I like them the same as steel, doesn't matter to me) then you could get the Phantom. I would recommend the steel version for you, however.

The Phantom fits really nicely in your hand, also, and is lighter. I would pay the difference and go for steel for a range gun.
I can't find any of the CZ's for a reasonable price in stock at my usual places, but they all have the IMI steel version. Is the CZ that much better where I should wait for it to come in or is the IMI version very similar? I don't mind waiting a bit (Nevada'a NICS CCW exemption is in flux right now), but don't want to wait four or five months.

Thanks.
Buy it from our sponsor Tanners. Ray jr, can ship it to your FFL. Hard to beat his prices.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 04 Sep 2011, 22:22

Unfortunately Ray isn't a CZ stocking dealer... I asked. I picked up my CZ-75B from Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham, OR, for $469.

57js

Post by 57js » 05 Sep 2011, 08:35

flyingirish04 wrote:And the endorsement for the phantom is kool-aid free. I don't own a single CZ pistol, I prefer the feel and accuracy of Sigs. But I would buy a Phantom before I ever bought a poly SigPro or 250.
That is saying a lot since I was looking into the SigPro and the P250.