Sigs

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
BIGCAP

Re: Sigs

Post by BIGCAP » 10 Dec 2008, 16:21

Cyberfly wrote:Dave, let me know how you like that hex site. I've seen it advertised on their site, but I just couldn't imagine it being all that. It looked ... I dunno...'BIG' to me. I couldn't see myself using it but a buddy down in Brownsville swears by it.
Will do so Heath. I read alot and really tried to research the theories and all that is behind the premise and it seems sound. I have always excelled at point shooting and these sights really seem like a good compromise for me. The three dot sight system, I just have never developed a comfort level with. Using the front post in quick acquisition fire and then bringing the rear sights up has never been instinctive or easy for me. So I am really excited about what these new sites will have to offer. I spoke to the owner Tim Sheehan at great length before I ordered and he seems like a really good person with a lot of knowledge. He had just finished 2 p226 for the Texas Highway Patrol the week before so that was nice to know.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 20 Dec 2008, 23:45

Ok got my gun back with the new Hexsite. They look really good. I am going to try to shoot tomorrow to see how they do for real but just looking at them and using them to site on objects they seem to really do as advertised. Tim the owner of the company has called me and wants to do a tutorial over the phone with him on the use of the sites. I think that is really great customer service and follow up. He called twice when he overnited the gun back to me to inform me of what the tracking info said and when he showed it had arrived and been signed for. Again great customer service. I spent about an hour on the phone with Tim last weekend and we talked about just about everything gun and shooting related. They also partner with a business that does work on the barrel. I forget the name right now, but the claim and dont quote me for sure. I think he said the muzzel flip is reduced by 3/4 and the presure straight back to the hand is reduced by half with the barrel porting and work done. I am going to research this as I did with the sites first and then make the call.
Here is a pic and the paper that came back showing what was done.
I also added a pic before. Almost seems smaller or the same to me size wise.

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 23 Dec 2008, 18:50

BIGCAP wrote:Ok got my gun back with the new Hexsite. They look really good. I am going to try to shoot tomorrow to see how they do for real but just looking at them and using them to site on objects they seem to really do as advertised. Tim the owner of the company has called me and wants to do a tutorial over the phone with him on the use of the sites. I think that is really great customer service and follow up. He called twice when he overnited the gun back to me to inform me of what the tracking info said and when he showed it had arrived and been signed for. Again great customer service. I spent about an hour on the phone with Tim last weekend and we talked about just about everything gun and shooting related. They also partner with a business that does work on the barrel. I forget the name right now, but the claim and dont quote me for sure. I think he said the muzzel flip is reduced by 3/4 and the presure straight back to the hand is reduced by half with the barrel porting and work done. I am going to research this as I did with the sites first and then make the call.
Here is a pic and the paper that came back showing what was done.
I also added a pic before. Almost seems smaller or the same to me size wise.

Those are some cool pics BIGCAP. :ponder:

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 24 Dec 2008, 19:20

Thanks Eagle! Still trying to get to the range to try the sites out. The wifes Christmas shopping has been getting in the way though. I guess that is OK she did buy me the sites for Christmas. :D I will post a report when I get a chance to try out the new sites.

susan28

Post by susan28 » 26 Dec 2008, 19:37

hey guys, was just browsing the thread and saw some questions about the Hexsite. i've had them on my Glock for awhile now and just like them better all the time and am having them done on all my guns now, including the FsN if Tim can rig something up. he's got that and my 1911 now but said it might be awhile on the FsN as he'll literally have to build a set from scratch both front and rear and it's on the condition that he'll have to do it in his spare time, but the fact that i'm willing to foot the expense (i have no idea what he'll charge but let's just say it will be "fair but costly") and give up my FsN for an indefinite period shows how committed i am to this sight. it's a whole new way of sighting so people either love it or hate it but those who love it tend to switch everything over for consistency's sake.

i too was a point shooter and agree with BC that this is an easy transition from that style, about equally fast but a little more confidence in the shot basically.

i posted a review of Tim's work over on GT after i had it done, i let him do his combat porting too which is reviewed along with the sights. unfortunately that can't be done on the FsN (i hated the thought of losing even a little velocity on the 5.7 but although with EA's uber-sonic ammo there would be more than enough to spare, the plastic slide cover rules out all porting) but he's done it to many Sigs and it like the sights really does the trick. here's the review if you're interested: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897627" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 26 Dec 2008, 21:27

Hey Susan good to hear another person who likes the sites. I am going to shoot tomorrow for sure so I will have a review on how they perform for me. I see you had your 10mm ported. I talked to Tim about doing my gun with this soon. I am still researching the process like I did the sites. How much difference did you feel after the porting. I have looked into various options on this but most seem to lose power. Talking to Tim it sounds like the loss of power the way they do it is very small if at all. Has this been your experience with your pistol?

susan28

Post by susan28 » 26 Dec 2008, 21:50

hey BC,

unfortunately i haven't been able to chrono it but Tim says it takes off about 40fps and the loads i use fly at 1400 and 1600 respectively so i figure i'm still in the red. as far as the performance difference, felt recoil is definitely reduced and muzzle rise on my G20 used to be about 11 o'clock now i'd say it's more like 10 o'clock and it comes back on target quicker too. kinda of a quick snap like a 40 but even less recoil. a quick *soft* snap. i love it.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 26 Dec 2008, 23:46

Thanks that is good news. My ammo is a little over 1600fps so a 40fps for the return would not be bad at all.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 27 Dec 2008, 15:26

Ok I shot 450 rounds today with my SIG p226. I used a variety of ammo with the new Goshen Hexsite. The best word that comes to mind when describing what it was like aligning the sites and getting hits is "EASY!" I have never in my life had an easier time just lifting the gun and getting the site picture I wanted and pulling the trigger and as a bonus the bullets go where they are supposed to. I shot as good or better today than I ever have and it was so much easier and faster! I shot easier close in and at distance. I varied my shots from 7 yards to 20 yards and easy hits all. I am verifiably impressed. I at this time would recommend these sites to anyone who is looking for a new site system. If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them as best I can or I can refer you to the website or the owners telephone number and I am sure he can answer any questions you have. :guns:

susan28

Post by susan28 » 27 Dec 2008, 16:19

glad to hear you're happy BC. always liked those Sigs, real nice feel to them, and the 357Sig calibre seems cool too. i read a gel test once and they said that the 357Sig was the only pistol calibre besides the 10mm that cracked the enclosure with the shockwave and the ballistics seem similar.

(in the rationalisation phase as you can tell, hehe :) )

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 27 Dec 2008, 17:11

BIGCAP wrote:Ok I shot 450 rounds today with my SIG p226.
You must be a millionaire. Isn't ammo about a buck a round these days? Hopefully they were reloads.

I think I have shot a .22 that many times in a single day, but never a centerfire. Ouch!

I bet it was fun though. :)

Mike

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Dec 2008, 18:27

Vortec MAX wrote:
BIGCAP wrote:Ok I shot 450 rounds today with my SIG p226.
You must be a millionaire. Isn't ammo about a buck a round these days? Hopefully they were reloads.
I think I have shot a .22 that many times in a single day, but never a centerfire. Ouch!
I bet it was fun though. :) Mike
Defensive rounds about a-buck-a-bullet. Most plinker rounds (for the guns I use) are still around $20/50 cartridges. Don't have a lot of guns though - yet... :D
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 27 Dec 2008, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 27 Dec 2008, 20:54

It was not cheap but I had some .357sigs already so I did not have lay out the entire dollar some in one day. The bill at the range was about $200.00 for what I bought there since I wanted to shoot some more. I really wanted to get he feel for the site. All in all it was about a $400.00 range day since I also tested my carry rounds from Double Tap. I shot 100 rounds to ensure the reliability and feedability for my gun. Since I had a bad experience with Buffalo Bore ammo, I really wanted to run my gun with the DT to make sure there were no problems. But damn it was fun!! :D