Heizer Pocket Pistol .... now in .223 and 7.62x39

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Hobknob
Gold Member

Heizer Pocket Pistol .... now in .223 and 7.62x39

Post by Hobknob » 07 Mar 2016, 07:03

Well now, this is entertaining...

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/heizer ... -pocket-ar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could only see this as being usefull to keep with a rifle in case you ran out of normal handgun ammo and needed a backup (though, why would you run out of handgun ammo first if you have a rifle available?).

It looks like all of the ammo they shot was keyholing immediately with velocities between 900-1100fps. I'd be interested in seeing the effects of a slow moving tumbling bullet. Basically, it'd be similar to a hit at 600yds (except with less stability)...so I doubt it would be stand up against a modern handgun bullet designed for those velocities (.380/9mm/etc.).

Heck, that's quite a bit worse performance than our much maligned 5.7x28.
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

toyslr

Re: Heizer Pocket Pistol .... now in .223 and 7.62x39

Post by toyslr » 14 Mar 2016, 16:34

Looks like a modern day version of a liberator!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Heizer Pocket Pistol .... now in .223 and 7.62x39

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Mar 2016, 17:44

Gimmick.

Why get a "derringer" type pistol which only fires one round (gimmick part is it's a rifle round). First off, if you must use that thing, you've probably already proven that an actual handgun or rifle is not sufficient to stop the threat (or maybe your aim is just that bad). But also, the recoil from a 7.62 round would probably jerk it out of your hand. Yeah, I saw they have other barrels but still...

If I need something "designed to provide a last-ditch option for those in need of self-defense" I am going to use something that might actually do some good; the classic derringer with 2 barrels loaded with 410ga.
Not only does it provide 2 shots but potentially provides a large pattern to hit/stop the threat.

Also, looking at the general size, you can probably get pretty close with a subcompact (LCP/Kimber Solo/etc.) & still have more than one shot.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.