Possibly FNP-9 Buyer with a Few Questions

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
aaron_c

Possibly FNP-9 Buyer with a Few Questions

Post by aaron_c » 08 Feb 2011, 11:15

Hey guys, I'm strongly considering moving from my Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm to the FNP-9 in the next few weeks (if I can get these stupid golf clubs to sell!). I've heard and read nothing but good things about this gun, but I had some questions on the safety system.

I've always been a big proponent of manual safeties for several reasons. It makes the significant other less likely to complain about my firearms hobby, and it allows me to leave it in the night stand with one in the chamber comfortably. Can you get the FNP-9 with a manual safety, and if not, can you guys sort of rationalize with me as to why a manual safety on this firearm isn't needed, despite it not having a backstrap safety or anything like that?

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Re: Possibly FNP-9 Buyer with a Few Questions

Post by PainKillaX » 08 Feb 2011, 11:29

I believe with the FNX-9 they have remodeled it to have a manual safety/decocker.

aaron_c

Post by aaron_c » 08 Feb 2011, 11:39

Thanks for the reply, I'll read up on the differences between the FNP and FNX; maybe that's the key to getting the features I want.

afielder45

Post by afielder45 » 08 Feb 2011, 12:28

If you can find a FNP-9 USG model, they have the MS (manual safety) in the decocker lever. I am not sure about the 9, but I know that the 40 USG model has been discontinued. They are hard to find. The dealer near my house has a FNP-9 in black/earth color, new. It is the USG model. The things that I have been hearing about the FNX is the straps slide. The FNP has a screw in the back of the strap, to keep it still. The FNX is a nice gun too, don't get me wrong. I know that the FNX is also about $60 to $80 more expensive. The DA trigger pull is 10#. When their is a round in the chamber and you decock it, the hammer can not accidently hit the firing pin. The trigger must be pulled, in order for that safety to be deactivated. I chose the FNP over the FNX because of price, and the checkered pattern back strap is rough, if you are going to put a lot of rounds through it at one time. There is other backstraps, but I do not know what they feel like. Only seen and handled the checkered pattern. Check out Gunbroker.com, or I can give you the number for the dealer that I have dealt with. Bought my Colt Annaconda from them.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 08 Feb 2011, 13:19

Search for the FNP9 USG model. You will find one. Online. Many places still have them in stock and offering good prices on them. Even look at Gun Broker or other gun forums.

We have a FNP9-M model. It is the compact version of the FNP9. It has the safety/decocker and is an excellent pistol.

If you seek advice between the FNP9 and the FNX9 you'll get four stories from three owners. :) If you can get to a gun shop or show and hold each in your hand that will help you decide what feels right for you. Our preference is for the FNP over the FNX.

aaron_c

Post by aaron_c » 08 Feb 2011, 17:35

I went to/contacted most of the local gun dealers here today, and none carry FN handguns. I held a Beretta PX4 Storm and liked it but I'd really like to find an FN-carrying dealer and hold one of these before I buy it. Does it feel similar in the hand to the HK USP?

afielder45

Post by afielder45 » 10 Feb 2011, 06:43

Don't know about the HK USP, but I held a Sig, the S&W M&P, XD9, XDm9, Ruger P95, Ruger SP9, S&W Sigma, FNP and FNX. The XD, XDm, FNP and FNX felt the same to me , in my hand. When I pulled all four up, I was looking right down the sights. I did not have to adjust my wrist to get the sights to line up. The S&W M&P and the Sigma felt cheap. The slides moved on the frame (hold the frame and grap the slide and twist). Just my opinion though. Did not even think about a Glock (go ahead Glock lovers), because I personnally do not like Glocks.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 10 Feb 2011, 06:49

aaron_c wrote:can you guys sort of rationalize with me as to why a manual safety on this firearm isn't needed, despite it not having a backstrap safety or anything like that?
Because a gun wont go off unless you pull the trigger (unless you own a Remington 700 :laugh: ).

TheOtherDave

Post by TheOtherDave » 10 Feb 2011, 09:33

aaron_c wrote:Can you get the FNP-9 with a manual safety, and if not, can you guys sort of rationalize with me as to why a manual safety on this firearm isn't needed, despite it not having a backstrap safety or anything like that?
I think they might available with a thumb safety. On the FNXs, the de-cocker lever is pushed up to activate the safety. I think I heard that there was a similar option on the FNPs as well, but I might be thinking of the FNXs.

It's not needed because safeties are not there to keep people from pulling the trigger -- they're there to keep the gun from going off if it's dropped, and IIRC the FNP's design takes care of that internally.

terrapin98k

Post by terrapin98k » 10 Feb 2011, 15:52

In regards to availability of FNP-9 USG, check out tanner's (supporters link at the top of the page). I just ordered one new for $435 plus $25 shipping. Look on the closeouts and great deals section. FNX-9's are at a great price too $475. Credit to the guys here for pointing me in that direction.