FNP-45 mag problem

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
wdcfromaz

FNP-45 mag problem

Post by wdcfromaz » 10 Apr 2010, 21:01

I just picked up a used FNP-45 and when I use 230 grain round nose the bullets are too long and drag in the mags. I measured my rounds and came up with an OAL of 1.260.
My Lyman manual lists max OAL at 1.275. The same rounds fit with extra room in other guns. Do the Fn's run a little small or do I have some bad mags? Tried some shorter hollow points and the gun is awsome!
Also if anyone can help what is the yellow plastic barrel that came with my FNP-40 for?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: FNP-45 mag problem

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Apr 2010, 04:08

Cant answer the other questions but the yellow plastic barrel is likely a training barrel. You can use it for dry firing or demonstration purposes & not worry about a round in the chamber. If it is the kind I am thinking of... :?:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

gearhead

Post by gearhead » 12 Apr 2010, 11:35

The yellow plastic barrel was part of the Shooter's pack, as stated it's for practice/dry firing.

The FNP-45 magazines have a known issue with not liking any ammo that runs longer than the SAAMI spec. The dimensions you list should be right on the edge of the spec, you might have an unusually tight magazine. A call to Customer Service might get you some new mags.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 23 Apr 2010, 16:49

I have having this issue with 5 out of my seven mags as well. Anyone have any more info?

Here are some cell phone pics of the jammed rounds:

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 23 Apr 2010, 18:15

that's what one of mine was doing with WWB. I havent' shot mine yet or tested other mags, but mine would do that on #5.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 23 Apr 2010, 19:46

Those rounds are WWB FMJ.

WWB and Rem UMC JHPs all work fine since they are shorter...

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Apr 2010, 21:34

Bullets are to long for the mag. Measure them with a caliper and let us know the OAL.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 23 Apr 2010, 22:41

I've found most wwb to be at MAX if not over MAX of 1.27+

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 24 Apr 2010, 04:49

Jay, are you saying that it is an issue with the bullets and not an issue with the mag?

I have to try some reloads with a shorter OAL...

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Apr 2010, 07:59

Yep. It may be a tight mag and those bullets might be a shade to long, it happens. Years ago I had a bunch of SB that worked fine in my Chip mags but not in my Wilson match grade mags.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 29 Apr 2010, 17:14

FN's offical answer via Bob A. = WWB is longer than SAMMI spec. The solution is to not use WWB.

Not quite the answer I wanted, but I will deal I guess... Just have to find a shop that carries Remington or Federal...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2010, 18:49

bobapunk wrote:FN's offical answer via Bob A. = WWB is longer than SAMMI spec. The solution is to not use WWB.

Not quite the answer I wanted, but I will deal I guess... Just have to find a shop that carries Remington or Federal...
Bob you try Blazer in it? Cabela's was sellin blazer brass/non-brass for pretty ok prices around here. Cheaper than WWB.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 29 Apr 2010, 19:02

Have not tried Blazer. No Cabela's around here :(

I see it time to time at Wal-mart...

lazi

Post by lazi » 12 May 2010, 23:26

i feel kinda bad for not mentioning it earlier (before this post) but i did have had some ammo sticking in my mags. i'm assuming "WWB" is winchester white box which is the exact same ammo that i have been having problems with. i just got them to run a bunch of ammo at the range but seeing that there is a consistent problem with it then i will avoid them in the future.

Thanks!!!!!!

remat457

Post by remat457 » 22 May 2010, 21:09

bobapunk wrote:FN's offical answer via Bob A. = WWB is longer than SAMMI spec. The solution is to not use WWB.

Umm..I don't want to seem like Mr. Negative here, but does that seem like an acceptable answer to everybody else?

Some questions...
1. Is it really longer than SAAMI?
2. Why does only the FNP have this OAL problem? (at least as far as I know). WWB feeds out of everything I have ever shot it...

Unless there is a big sticker on the box and manual that says WWB is not acceptable I think it is a problem. We are not talking about boutique ammo here.
Thoughts?

wdcfromaz

Post by wdcfromaz » 22 May 2010, 21:22

I got the same answer and when I told Bob I measured my rounds and they were UNDER sammi spec he told me to oil the inside of the mags and the follower. Not what I wanted to here but it does feed a little better. This seems to be a problem, I would have liked to hear, send them back and we will send you ones that work.

lazi

Post by lazi » 06 Jun 2010, 02:51

Well I consider the mags not feeding to be a big problem. Even though I'm not about to ditch my FNP45 I would like to know that it's not gonna flake out on me over something that was from FNH. I will avoid WWB but if FNH offers a recall to replace these mags for mags that won't have this "problem" then I'm all in. If we need to do something to confirm this as a problem then my name can go on the list. Just the same as I had a mag of WWB in FNP when I went to the range I had the same ammo in my mags while at home every day. Not like it was critical at any point but I would've been screwed if the zombies came diving through my windows. It wasn't fun at the range shooting the last few 50-60 WWB FMJ I had and it sure as hell wouldn't be cool if my safety was on the line.

SSBiggun

Post by SSBiggun » 06 Jun 2010, 18:59

I guess I am a little late to the topic here but I found the same issue and now load all my .45's to 1.250.The FNP-45 mags do not like 1.27-1.275 O.A.L. Since I haven't used any other Factory Ammo I couldn't say which brands have the shorter length but WWB is too long.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 07 Jun 2010, 08:49

Agreed WWB is not only longer than most, there OALs very so much over a box of ammo it's ridiculous. I found a box of my Federal Champions to be well within a few thousands of each other. the WWB on the other hand some have measure 1.272, some were 1.252, and a bunch in between. That being said I've ran 200 rounds through my FNP45T of WWB and had one jam (spent round wedged itself parallel with the barrel inside the frame) during a 50 round drump session.

remat457

Post by remat457 » 10 Jun 2010, 21:59

Ok, assuming that the QC on WWB is that bad, then why of the huge plethora of available 45's on the market does only the FNP have this problem?

I am not bashing FN or the FNP by any means, however, this problem is enough to keep me from purchasing an FNP45, and it was on my short list.

wdcfromaz

Post by wdcfromaz » 11 Jun 2010, 19:50

I did NOT ask about the mags to bash FN. I was only seeking info. I like the 45 so much I bought a 40,love that one too. I oiled the mags and it feeds hollow and flat points. It hits where ever I point it.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 02 Aug 2010, 20:03

I tried out some other rounds over the weekend and still had problems. The problems were not with the cartridges jamming in the mag, the cartridges just were not loading into the chamber. It was like they were traveling up the feed ramp, hit the top of the chamber and got stuck... This was with semi-wad cutters AND FMJ.

Same exact rounds ran flawlessly in a USP 45 and a S&W Single Stack....

Thoughts?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 02 Aug 2010, 20:09

incorrect follower dimensions and the mag catch.
Shoot more, worry less.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 03 Aug 2010, 15:54

I should add, I did shoot 5 JHP, WWB and they all ran w/o a hitch. I was suspecting that the other loads may not have been full power and were not fully cycling the slide.

I am going to try to get some more variety to try.

Should also add, a few times, on the last round in the mag, the slide failed to lock back and the spent case did not fully eject. Those 2 things combined to cause a stove pipe malfunction.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Aug 2010, 17:35

bobapunk wrote: Should also add, a few times, on the last round in the mag, the slide failed to lock back and the spent case did not fully eject. Those 2 things combined to cause a stove pipe malfunction.
THAT reminds me of super strong and new mag springs.

But if you have consistent misfeedings with all ammos the follower is something I'd consider. I'm a bit confused on your last post that you fed others ok into your pistol.
Shoot more, worry less.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 03 Aug 2010, 19:30

The only thing that ran trouble free was 230 JHP Defense loads. They had quite a bit more recoil, which is why I thought that maybe the other loads were too light and not fully cycling the slide. The thing is that those "light" loads worked fine in a Glock 21, HK USP 45, and a single stack S&W...

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 03 Aug 2010, 19:32

blueorison wrote:
bobapunk wrote: Should also add, a few times, on the last round in the mag, the slide failed to lock back and the spent case did not fully eject. Those 2 things combined to cause a stove pipe malfunction.
THAT reminds me of super strong and new mag springs.

But if you have consistent misfeedings with all ammos the follower is something I'd consider. I'm a bit confused on your last post that you fed others ok into your pistol.
Are you thinking that the mag springs are too strong? The gun and the 6 mags I have are all pretty new. I would think they are broken in, but maybe not...?

ca622

Post by ca622 » 04 Aug 2010, 22:32

First off I'm new here; I was searching for an answer as well, with the winchester white box getting stuck in the FNP .45 magazines.

I purchased the FNP-Tactical in black today, excited to shoot it- so I took it to the range and had mostly white box winchester with me.. Well, after finding the magazine wouldn't depress very easily, I noticed the rounds started getting very loose in the mag. It's strange, because I tried the same exact ammo with my USP (same as the other poster), and no issues whatsoever.

The problem is when you spend in excess of 900.00 (for the tactical), you expect most ammo to be able to feed through the firearm. I understand tight tolerences, etc.. However I've never encountered this problem until now. I think there is an issue with the magazines, and they should begin a silent recall to those who are having issues. I just wrote FNH a few minutes ago, explaining how this should be fixed. It's also not only the WWB for me, PMC was having failure to feeds, and issues in the mag.

This isn't something I'd want to happen if there was no choice of ammo. WWB isn't the most accurate, but it's plentiful, cheap, and it works in all my other handguns.

I own all of FNH's current lineup (with the exception of the FNP-9, 40, and FNX); and this is the first complaint I've had. I am very upset (as you can tell from the length of this)!

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 05 Aug 2010, 19:17

I got some Remington, Agulia, and Magtech 230 gr FMJs to try out on Saturday. If they all have feed issues, FN's WWB OAL defense will be shot down.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 05 Aug 2010, 20:17

I've put 200 rounds of WWB through my FNP-45 tactical and not one feed issue even with ones that measured 1.275. Measure it. 1.260 and over, you're going to run into trouble. Measure the inside diameter of the FNP-45 mags compared to the USP and see how much of a difference there is?

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 07 Aug 2010, 14:22

Ok, everything I shot today including WWB Value pack shot fine... I had some 230gr FMJ Agulia, 230gr FMJ Magtech, 230gr FMJ WWB, 200gr SWC lead, and 230gr PRN...

Now I am scratching my head...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Aug 2010, 15:37

Magsprings.

Part of new gun break in: sit on your butt while talking to friends, and dry cycle your slide over and over. Then when you're done, load and unload mags to 1 less of capacity. Or you can just depress follower with a ruler. The key is to depress it evenly with no cant.
Shoot more, worry less.

Nightrunner

Post by Nightrunner » 19 May 2011, 14:11

Just a couple of thoughts to share,,

1: any new weapon should be properly broken in, most would say 3-500 rounds before passing judgment.

2: My FNP Tactical .45 works fine with WWB. Maybe there was some odd lots that made it out the door.

3: Where can I find more factory mags for my black FNP Tac. .45? I didn't even find them listed on their site.

RhuarcWoT

Post by RhuarcWoT » 11 Jun 2011, 11:57

I took my 45 out today and tried to put 100 rounds of Federal Champion ammo and I had the same issue. I had failures to feed, fail to eject, not locking back on last round, and even a stovepipe. The rounds seem to cant sideways and get jammed in the mag. Gets hard to load half way in. Ive had this gun for nearly two years and have nearly 800 rounds through it. Weird thing is I put 100 rounds of federal and WWB a few months ago with no issue. I did have this issue with non-brass cased Blazer hollow points awhile back and haven't touched them since. I took my mags apart and cleaned them out and tried to load them up and cycle rounds and it jammed on the second one. Round was level in the mag and wouldn't clear the front lip.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 22 Jun 2011, 04:41

Just read this over of ar15.com
Mine didn't feed 100% until I made my own guide rod so I could reduce the recoil spring weight.

A wolff glock 17 guide rod is perfect you just have to drill a hole in the end for the takedown lever.

Mine would FTF and throw brass at my head with factory ammo and not even cycle my slightly reduced power loads.

With my 15lb spring empties land a couple feet beside me and it feeds anything and everything.
Thoughts?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Jun 2011, 10:42

Send it back to the factory.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Jun 2011, 12:06

bobapunk wrote:Just read this over of ar15.com
Mine didn't feed 100% until I made my own guide rod so I could reduce the recoil spring weight.

A wolff glock 17 guide rod is perfect you just have to drill a hole in the end for the takedown lever.

Mine would FTF and throw brass at my head with factory ammo and not even cycle my slightly reduced power loads.

With my 15lb spring empties land a couple feet beside me and it feeds anything and everything.
Thoughts?

Yep what the hell are you doing over there?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 22 Jun 2011, 14:50

After reading this thread I rushed out with my previously unfired FNP 45 T and fired of two hundred rounds of WWB without incident. My 2cents.

mtb

Post by mtb » 17 Jul 2011, 07:24

Just a 'me too' but only one of my mags does this. That one mag only gets through all 14 rounds about 50% of the time. My other two mags work flawlessly every time. This is with WWB FMJ.

KiloTrooper

Post by KiloTrooper » 04 Sep 2011, 09:56

Ditto on WWB prob :(
Last edited by KiloTrooper on 04 Sep 2011, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

KiloTrooper

Post by KiloTrooper » 04 Sep 2011, 10:08

CCI 185s and hornady are good in my 2 problem mags. Seems kind funny since Win is a partner company of FNH USA.

wdcfromaz

Post by wdcfromaz » 04 Sep 2011, 14:49

Does anybody know if the factory 15 rounders have the same problems as the 14s

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 04 Sep 2011, 19:42

When I shoot winchester white box plinkers, I sometims have the same problems. The good news is that hollowpoints have no trouble whatosever.