FNP-9

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Post Reply
57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

FNP-9

Post by 57js » 20 Apr 2009, 18:07

Anyone have a FNP-9? I have a friend who is looking to purchase a 9mm, and I am trying to steer her away from the Glocks. What are your thoughts on this gun? I have a 5-7, but she wants something for CCW as well as time at the range where the ammo won't be that expensive (though in today's environment, getting any ammo is lucky).

Thank you for your help.

romer522
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:04
Location: WA

Re: FNP-9

Post by romer522 » 20 Apr 2009, 18:16

FNPs are great guns, highly under-rated. I am not sure if i would recommend them for CCW for anyone except a large framed guy, unless its going in the purse or something.

User avatar
gw45acp
Gold Member
Posts: 832
Joined: 21 Aug 2008, 06:17
Location: Utah

Re: FNP-9

Post by gw45acp » 20 Apr 2009, 18:21

I have an FNP-40 which is very similar to the FNP-9. It's a fine handgun. Your friend needs to shoot a few handguns, including the Glock, XD, and small frame revolver and find out what she likes best.
"How the Hell did I get here?"

gearhead
Junior Member
Posts: 36
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 16:39

Re: FNP-9

Post by gearhead » 20 Apr 2009, 21:35

I have an FNP-9, one of the USG models with decocker/safety. I took my CWP training with it using a Galco IWB holster, I wouldn't want to ride around all day in a car with it sitting there but it wasn't bad at all to wear while standing. It's super accurate and easy to handle, and I like the slide spring force of the 9mm better than the .40. I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers and it's a strain to rack the slide on the .40 for me.

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12162
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: FNP-9

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Apr 2009, 06:24

For a 9mm, I like the EAA Witness. I have the full size version but they have smaller sizes such as carry & compact. I'd say go to a range that rents guns & have her try a few out. Also might try talking any friends that have guns into a range trip for comparing - If you lived near me, I'd go :D
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: FNP-9

Post by 57js » 21 Apr 2009, 07:42

gw45acp wrote:I have an FNP-40 which is very similar to the FNP-9. It's a fine handgun. Your friend needs to shoot a few handguns, including the Glock, XD, and small frame revolver and find out what she likes best.
I agree that she should shoot some guns, but I haven't seen any FNP-9s that can be rented at a range. At this point, I am not sure that is the right gun for her from what I am reading here, and my own research. Probably too big for her, and probably would be uncomfortable for her to shoot with her size hand.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: FNP-9

Post by 57js » 21 Apr 2009, 07:44

gearhead wrote:I have an FNP-9, one of the USG models with decocker/safety. I took my CWP training with it using a Galco IWB holster, I wouldn't want to ride around all day in a car with it sitting there but it wasn't bad at all to wear while standing. It's super accurate and easy to handle, and I like the slide spring force of the 9mm better than the .40. I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers and it's a strain to rack the slide on the .40 for me.
This would be her only gun so it would have to do double duty at the range and use for CCW. I don't think it is the right 9mm for her. She is going to want something accurate, but something small enough that she can carry comfortably.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: FNP-9

Post by 57js » 21 Apr 2009, 07:45

Rapier1772 wrote:For a 9mm, I like the EAA Witness. I have the full size version but they have smaller sizes such as carry & compact. I'd say go to a range that rents guns & have her try a few out. Also might try talking any friends that have guns into a range trip for comparing - If you lived near me, I'd go :D
IA might be a little too far for a road trip!

romer522
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:04
Location: WA

Re: FNP-9

Post by romer522 » 21 Apr 2009, 07:51

Check out the Kahr P9, might fit the bill for her.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: FNP-9

Post by 57js » 21 Apr 2009, 18:50

romer522 wrote:Check out the Kahr P9, might fit the bill for her.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will pass it along to her.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest