FNS-40 locking block cracked??

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Camo556

FNS-40 locking block cracked??

Post by Camo556 » 27 Jan 2013, 05:45

Hi, I'm new here and couldn't find an old post relating to this issue. I noticed the locking block on my new FNS-40 has a weird circular crack on the back side. You can feel it with your fingernail. I'm guessing this is some type of artifact from the molding or forging process. I've shot about 100 rounds with no noticeable change to the locking block. Anybody seen this before or know what makes this type of crack? Here's a picture on dropbox.com http://db.tt/IlhPgoSd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Re: FNS-40 locking block cracked??

Post by fooschnickens » 27 Jan 2013, 09:13

It looks like a superficial casting mark to me, like you said. I'd keep running the pistol and checking it to see if it gets "worse" but I doubt it will.

If it bothers you that much you could always send that picture to FN and see what they have to say.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 27 Jan 2013, 11:35

That's supposed to be there.
Embrace the Suck

Camo556

Post by Camo556 » 27 Jan 2013, 11:50

Thanks for the replies. After reading a bit about the MIM process , I do think its caused from gas pressure at the gate of the mold. I plan on getting a replacement insert anyway, just for a backup incase I ever need to replace the original. Does anyone know how much the replacements cost?