help me out 5.7 IOM or new 5.7

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
ROCKETW19

help me out 5.7 IOM or new 5.7

Post by ROCKETW19 » 19 Dec 2012, 19:14

I am in search of a 5.7 and ran across 2 options

first is brand new in the store with 10 rd mag or mags not sure $1179.99

second is IOM version with 3 X 20rd and 1 X 10rd mags (says only test fired)
and wants to trade for my Desert Eagle 44mag night sights and 3 factory mags
I asume the DE is worth 1200-1400 (no clue really) but would take either

I do not know enough about the IOM or any version to tell ya the truth my research on this site says the IOM is just older and only real thing is trigger gaurd changed.
I assume both are plain jane version no night sights ect

Is the IOM and mags worth that much more than a new one with 10 rounders?
if in my shoes and didnt care if i kept the DE or not what would you choose? I know mags are $ but dont weight in your responce just on mag cost alone although a big factor I know

thanks for your time and help

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: help me out 5.7 IOM or new 5.7

Post by blueorison » 19 Dec 2012, 20:37

Sent you a PM.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 19 Dec 2012, 21:17

Rocket, first caveat is that this is just my opinion, but that is what we come to forums like this for. Right?

I have both an IOM and a USG. Yes, the IOM is an older version. There are three differences. The IOM has a rounded trigger guard, a smoother, dimpled grip, and the mag release is right-hand only. Production IOM's only came with adjustable sights. Personally, I prefer shooting my IOM because I like the smoother grip, and it has a lot of rounds through it, and the trigger is broken in nicely.

Unfortunately, folks are buying IOM's because they don't make them anymore, and are collecting them. This gun was never meant to be a safe queen. For pete's sake, it is a poly gun, not a piece of jewelry. Collectors like to sell them with the original 10-round magazines and the "love letter" that came in the box. I am so serious about mine being a shooter, not a collector, that I sent my 10-rounders and love letter to Blue, who must have had a better use for them. In the real world (not Kalifornia), a higher cap magazine is always worth more than a lower cap magazine.

If I didn't have one, and knew what I do about mine, I would buy a USG with adjustable sights, and sand the grip a little smoother for me. But I am all about shooting it, not re-selling it.

Mike

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 19 Dec 2012, 21:35

NLVMike wrote:Rocket, first caveat is that this is just my opinion, but that is what we come to forums like this for. Right?

I have both an IOM and a USG. Yes, the IOM is an older version. There are three differences. The IOM has a rounded trigger guard, a smoother, dimpled grip, and the mag release is right-hand only. Production IOM's only came with adjustable sights. Personally, I prefer shooting my IOM because I like the smoother grip, and it has a lot of rounds through it, and the trigger is broken in nicely.

Unfortunately, folks are buying IOM's because they don't make them anymore, and are collecting them. This gun was never meant to be a safe queen. For pete's sake, it is a poly gun, not a piece of jewelry. Collectors like to sell them with the original 10-round magazines and the "love letter" that came in the box. I am so serious about mine being a shooter, not a collector, that I sent my 10-rounders and love letter to Blue, who must have had a better use for them. In the real world (not Kalifornia), a higher cap magazine is always worth more than a lower cap magazine.

If I didn't have one, and knew what I do about mine, I would buy a USG with adjustable sights, and sand the grip a little smoother for me. But I am all about shooting it, not re-selling it.

Mike
I agree on shooting it!
I have a glock that I pimped out at glockwork about 1-2 months ago and I swear I have 2000 rounds down it already,lol
thanks for the helpfull responce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 19 Dec 2012, 22:57

NLVMike wrote:Rocket, first caveat is that this is just my opinion, but that is what we come to forums like this for. Right?

Mike
This. Legit. :thumb:

This is what I PM'd him:

Welcome!

If your application is to shoot it, then get the one with more magazines. Do you have links to both sales, so I can check them to make sure they are legit? I don't want you to get swindled.

Jonathan

Sometimes new members don't know that the USG boxes comes with an "IOM" tag and people put it all over gunbroker as "IOMs" and cheat people. :(
Shoot more, worry less.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 19 Dec 2012, 23:28

blueorison wrote:

Mike
This. Legit. :thumb:

This is what I PM'd him:

Welcome!

If your application is to shoot it, then get the one with more magazines. Do you have links to both sales, so I can check them to make sure they are legit? I don't want you to get swindled.

Jonathan

Sometimes new members don't know that the USG boxes comes with an "IOM" tag and people put it all over gunbroker as "IOMs" and cheat people. :(
yes I agree I would have no clue what is what other than I dont care for the trigger gaurd to much on the IOM version. but if better gun no big deal I will be fine with it. if same gun I will take the USG and buy a few mags

I PMed you back saying same stuff also but is there any real difference in the IMO and USG?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 20 Dec 2012, 00:45

Now I understand. The shop is selling the new USG models, and the guy on the board has a used IOM he wants to trade for your used Desert Eagle.

Well, it's pretty clear. Get the one from the shop.

1. You don't know what he's shot through it. Usually, I 100% really like to buy used guns. Long story, but that's the short gist of it. However, the FsN is a niche platform that utilizes a very high pressure cartridge. Unless you know he 100% does NOT handload or has shot overpressured rounds through his gun, you are taking a risk. Personally, I wouldn't care.

I would buy it if

A) it were at a good price for a used IOM ($900-1000 IMO)
B) I sold my body to cougars so as to be able to pay my rent and actually have money to buy a gun left over. However, this advice is not for me, but for you, so I can't apply my nonchalant gun attitude to yourself. That would be irresponsible. Err on the safe side and ask him if he has shot reloads, if you really want the IOM. :)

2. Your used Desert Eagle with the extras, I think, is worth about the same or a little less than a lightly used IOM. This is taking everything into consideration. So, on the price point, it really comes out even. I prefer the FsN as it is more practical (not saying much, currently, since the ammo prices are now UNpractical), so if it were ME, I would trade it in a heartbeat.

However, I respect your decision to own the .44 Mag (great round) in a platform that weighs more than an elephant and preferentially makes you look like a bad*** or just an *** at your public range :D (humor). That being said, if you like the Desert Eagle a lot/it's the only thing you'd rescue in a fire besides your dog, then don't trade it, since the price point is about the same, and you won't hear anymore nagging from your wife in event of an actual fire (more sappy humor).

3. Ergonomics/shooting comfortably: Besides the magazine release difference... The USG has more aggressive stippling, so if you like more aggressive stippling, get the USG. It has the square trigger guard. The IOM has lighter stippling and a smoother grip. The rounded trigger guard doesn't effect ergonomics. Personally, I prefer no stippling and a smooth grip.

However, I have been known to be the .00000001 percentile of logic-challenged gun owners that actually doesn't have a stippled Glock or M&P and occasionally shoots with a electrical tape over the gun's grip.

I hope that has been helpful. :cya:
Shoot more, worry less.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 20 Dec 2012, 20:57

well gun that has IOM backed out on trade said he has to many other offers,lol
I do not get it. if you ask 1 dollar for something and I say here why not sell? GREED is a nasty thing I hope he gets burned in the end cuz i am going to the store and buying a brand spanking new one for 1179.99 plus tax and fees