FNH fit and finish?

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Snaproll
custom title: Jim

FNH fit and finish?

Post by Snaproll » 16 Jul 2012, 10:42

I've bought two FNH pistols because of their functionality, but I have to wonder about how they design things. The tolerances seem to be good where it is important, (like the actual operation of the piece), but heck, don't they have eyes when it comes to checking some of the lines on their guns. Some fit about as well as a suit off the Goodwill rack. I'm used to pieces where their lines and finish are like a good car, not something built by AMC before they went under.

I remember thinking this about the Fiveseven when I got it. If I remember, the front of the slide overhung the frame by quite a bit. Not thousands or hundreths, but by 10ths of inches. Then on the FNP, which I am looking at, who deisgned the mag bottom plate? There is an 8th of an inch behind it and the front has an overbite that would take a skilled orthadontist to fix. The front of the slide and the frame don't line up, even the angles don't match up. The back of the slide and frame are off by about 1/32nd of an inch. The whole thing mates upo better if the slide is about 1/32nd of an inch further back. So why is it 1/32nd of an inch too far forward?

Everything works, which is what's important to me, but geeze, do these guys not design with CAD/CAM? Do they have CNC machines? The "finish" to the guns are fine, but it's almost like the parts like the slide, mags, frame were designed by different outfits and as long as they mated up it's 'good enough'. It just strikes me as odd for a company that puts out such neat designs.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Re: FNH fit and finish?

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Jul 2012, 11:32

It is a weapon made for combat, end of story.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Snaproll
custom title: Jim

Post by Snaproll » 16 Jul 2012, 14:23

panzermk2 wrote:It is a weapon made for combat, end of story.
So was the M1911, the FS92, the PPK (police work actually), AR15, HK94 and a host of others I own. The fit and finish of those are all very good to excellent. They were designed for the military, and perhaps they took a bit more time finishing civilian models, but the military versions were pretty close. The only other line of guns I've seen that have the "mass produced look" of the FNH's were eastern block rifles. Like I say, the gun is machined and in tolerance where it needs to be to function but... surely they could put more time into the cosmetics for civilian versions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a 'combat pistol', even if it was designed as such, I don't believe anybody is actually using the FNP other than maybe some Belgium police forces. This is basically a civilian gun at this point. They could finish the guns a bit better given the low numbers produced for a civilian market.

If I was really worried about the look and finish though, I would have gone with a HK. I'm still sold on the FNP's functionality which is what I bought it for. Just saying the sloppy lines on the gun are a bit hard to miss.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 16 Jul 2012, 22:04

The Glock and Sig 550 class of rifles were also designed as combat arms. You can see daylight between the upper and lower of each. The FNP/FNX has the use of a tool, not pretty, just functional. And a lot of original 1911's were sloppy as can be, but they were designed that way. The civilian market is what tightened that gun's tolerances up to the point that today the slightest bit of wiggle has people saying, the fit is awful.

Polymer guns tend to always have slop and play in them. Just the way it is. You can't hand fit metal to plastic like you can metal to metal.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Jul 2012, 22:22

smpsmp wrote:Polymer guns tend to always have slop and play in them. Just the way it is. You can't hand fit metal to plastic like you can metal to metal.
I think that pretty much says it all.
You have to remember that what you are really seeing is a 'slide COVER'. Its there for looks and to give you something to grab hold of. Its made of plastic primarily to keep the weight down, but seriously, it is difficult when mass producing firearms to assure a perfect fit and finish on every one.
As you stated, the weapon works, and it works well. That is their primary focus.
If the weapon were fully metal and either cast or cast then machined to fit, you would most likely see much closer tolerances and better fit & finish in the end product. But like smpsmp stated, fitting metal to plastic, especially when mass producing, you'll lose that 'perfect' look on some.
The two that I had lined up perfectly, but I've seen others that looked like it was almost OOB.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**