Thinking about fnx 40

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
showmebob

Thinking about fnx 40

Post by showmebob » 01 Dec 2011, 13:41

Ok, I'm ready for a new toy and am considering the fnx 40.
Questions:
How reliable are they?
Any "normal or regular problems" with them?
How is the CS?
If anyone has experience with the M&P 9 how does the recoil compare between it and the fnx 40?
I've been lurking here for quite a while but just joined today. Looking forward to sharing!
Thanks for your input!
Bob

smpsmp

Re: Thinking about fnx 40

Post by smpsmp » 01 Dec 2011, 19:49

I have the FNP45T, and just recently got a chance to shoot an FNX9 and FNX40. All three are very soft shooting, and the FNX's are very comfortable guns (depending on which back strap you prefer). As for reliability, my friend hasn't had any issues with his yet, and with my FNP45, I can count on one hand in about 1500 rounds how many problems I've had (FTF's), and it was only with one brand of ammo (so most likely ammo issue).

As far as customer service goes, it's through Browning now, which is a shame they had to get rid of Bob Ailes.

I take it you have an M&P9 now since I doubt you would compare two different guns in different calibers for recoil for consideration. I would say the recoil is, in my opinion, a little lighter in the FNX over the M&P. Normally the .40 always seems to have a sharp snap (not a lot, but just a quick snap) to it for me, but in the FNX it just didn't bother me like normal.

I think you'll be quite happy with the FNX.

Are you looking to carry it, or just to have it, or a mix of both? If you already have a M&P in 9mm, you could get the FNX9 and not have to worry about stocking another round then.

showmebob

Post by showmebob » 01 Dec 2011, 20:08

smpsmp

Thank you for the response! Very informitive.
Too bad the CS is not as good as before.
You are correct, I own a (well actually 2) 9mm's and have heard about the 40 snap. While recoil usually doesn't bother me I wanted someone elses opinions. I could go with the fnx9 but want to add to the stable of calibers and since I reload adding the 40 would give me more time in the man cave. This will be a "flexible use" tool for me, ie for many purposes.
Thanks again!

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 01 Dec 2011, 23:45

It does have a little more of a snap, but not much, and to be honest you really have to be expecting it with the .40 or the 9 in the FNX's (if that makes any sense).

Maybe my expectations of recoil were always diminished because the first two handguns I ever fired were a sig 220, and a 1911. The 1911 had more of a push, and the 220 had a little snap to it (at least to me it seemed). A few years after that I finally fired a gun in 9mm (Glock 19), and was amazed at the difference (I'm a little stuck in my ways with .45 since my first handgun was in that, nothing against other calibers, just never decided to stock them).

But all this talk about it now has me wanting an FNX9 now.

Do you know anyone with a handgun in .40, or is there a shop that rents near you? And make sure you test a gun that is similar in weight, size, recoil springs. So basically outside the FNX, the M&P's, Glocks, H&K's, and the SigPro are all similar, and common enough.

showmebob

Post by showmebob » 02 Dec 2011, 10:35

I have shot a couple of 40s before but it's been some time ago. Seems they were snappy but not too bad. I believe one was a metal gun and the other a Kahr pm40 which had some snap but not unexpected for that gun.
I knew a guy who had a fnx 40 but he sold it before we could get together for a shoot. No ranges around here to rent one.
Think I'm just going to go for it. I'm excited and will give a full report in a couple of weeks after a range session. Thanks for the help!

showmebob

Post by showmebob » 23 Dec 2011, 13:37

I have had the fnx 40 for about 3 weeks now and thought I'd give some feedback.

First I'd like to say that it didn't fit my hand nearly as well as I remembered from the gun shop months ago. But, after handling it and doing dry fire exercises with it I now like it better than my m&p 9 pro's. So that is a good thing!

I locked the slide back overnight and loaded the mags full and went to the range the next day. 140 perfect rounds fired shooting 3 different brands of ammo. Accuracy was very good and in fact I seem to be able to shoot it single action as well if not better than the m&p's with the 5 inch barrel! The double action is very smooth and since I'm a revolver shooter it felt very natural to me and I shot good groups DA.

I cleaned the gun and measured the trigger pull and was surprised to find it had lost almost 1/2 pound! I'm not sure if this is a break in result or if it is the Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube that I'm fond of. Whatever the reason, I don't care! Love the trigger SA and DA.

Off to the range I went to shoot 100 rounds combined of 165's and 180's of different brands. Again the gun was flawless!

I am not used to 3 dot sights and am having trouble getting used to them. The large front dot is great (i'm used to FO front and black rear) but the back dots distract me. I may blacken them out and see what I think. The sights are perfectly adjusted, I mean, perfect, spot on. I will not touch them. POA=POI.

My trigger finger rubs the bottom of the trigger guard and gets a little sore but that seems to be going away the more I handle and dryfire the gun.

I can't make a mag drop without intentionally releasing it. Even pulling and wiggling it won't release it. Depress the mag release and they drop right out.

The backstrap will move vertically if you force it but not on it's own accord. No problems there.

It's a little too cold (-14 last night) here in Colorado to see if there is a DA problem when the gun gets hot. I don't expect any problems though as this gun just seems to speak quality to me.

I spent some time really inspecting the safety features on the gun and would feel very confident carrying cocked and locked if I so choose. However, at this point I'm faster from the draw shooting DA rather than releasing the safety. Go figure. This may change when I get a quality holster.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. I really like this gun. I understand it is easier to complain than praise a product. I just wanted to let folks know I am most satisfied with my purchase so far. I realize some folks have had quality issues (I'm usally that person) but I for one will give the FNX 40 two hollow points up!

FWIW, before the FNX 40 my last 3 semi's all had issues and needed factory repair. After the repairs one has been perfect and the other 2 nearly so. One was sent in 3 times for the same problem. None were FN products, but they were name brands. Any item from any factory can have issues at times.

I'm off to the range this weekend for another 100 rounds and will get to compare the FNX 40 to a Taurus PT100 my son just bought.

Merry Christmas to all and to all good shooting!

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 23 Dec 2011, 14:02

I second showmebob
I have 2 FNX 40 and love them. They have been very smooth and never a minutes problem. I will agree the FNX40 is a little snappy but very managable.They fit well with my 2- FNX 9 , 2-FNP45tac, 2-FsN. As you can see I love FNH and have never been let down.
It has been somewhat of a set back since Browning has taken over for the customer service and they decided to let BOB and TIM go. WOW what a stupid move that was.
But none the less you can never go wrong with FNH. :agree: :clap:

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 23 Dec 2011, 16:44

If the FNX40 is anything like my FNP40 you'll love it. Doesn't feel like other .40 pistols at all. Very smooth and ridiculously manageable.