Dry Fire Laser Cartridge and Interactive Target System

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
critterdoc

Dry Fire Laser Cartridge and Interactive Target System

Post by critterdoc » 02 Sep 2011, 16:22

Hoping to enhance the boring process of dry firing, I procured a 9mm SureStrike Laser "Dry Fire" Cartridge training system and Laserlyte Interactive Laser Training Target combo package from Xfighterdefense.com today and am impressed with zerofail operation, form and function thus far.

Total cost at my door was $290.98 including an extra battery pack for the laser cartridge. Assembly was a no brainer and adapters are offered for .40 Cal, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, 12 Gauge Shotgun, .44 Magnum.

Illumination points were easily visualized on various surfaces inside of my office over distances up to approximately 40 feet under a range of lighting intensity, and the interactive electronic recording target works very well.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has given this device a long test drive.
Last edited by critterdoc on 09 Sep 2011, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Non immemor beneficii / Crom a Boo / Islam delenda est

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Dry Fire Laser Cartridge and Interactive Target System

Post by f3rr37 » 02 Sep 2011, 16:52

Interesting, mind doing a video review?

critterdoc

Post by critterdoc » 03 Sep 2011, 14:56

satellitedr3ams wrote:I got the trainer "bullets" and the only thing that pisses me of is that you cant set em to constant on unless you wedge something in the slide (piece of paper just right worked well for me) Cool target system, let us know how it works.
Wassup Sat!

I'm not clear on that you mean by "trainer bullets" in that context. Sorry to have originally mistyped "SureFire" when I meant SureStrike. Whose trainer bullet are you referring to. The only other ones I've seen myself are those offered by LaserLyte (in-chamber & in-muzzle) who manufacturers the smart-target device I am using. I can't comment on LaserLyte's "bullets" because I've never touched one but I have had chronic problems with the poorly designed power switch mechanism in a LaserLyte universal in-muzzle Bore Sighter that I picked up several years ago. As far as I know, SureStrike's Bore Sighter accessory is a cap that converts the standard SureStrike laser dry fire training cartridge into to a Bore Sighting device.

Battery life in my LaserLyte bore sighter is terrifically poor and highly unpredictable.

critterdoc

Post by critterdoc » 03 Sep 2011, 17:33

f3rr37 wrote:Interesting, mind doing a video review?
OK boss, I'll give it a go.

Hoping to enhance the monotonous process of dry firing, I procured a 9mm SureStrike Laser "Dry Fire" Cartridge training system and Laserlyte Interactive Laser Training Target from Xfighterdefense.com and am impressed with zerofail operation, form, and function thus far.

Total cost at my door was $290.98, including an extra battery pack for the laser cartridge. Assembly was a no brainer. Adapters for the laser cartridge are offered for the .38/.357 Cal, .40 Cal, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, 12 Gauge Shotgun, .44 Magnum, and .223 presumably by the end of 2011.

Illumination points were easily visualized on various surfaces inside of my office and home over distances approximately 40-50 feet under a range of light intensity. The interactive electronic recording target saved, recorded and erased points of impact very well.

For starters, I won't even attempt to compete with the vids that are available in the links listed below. But I can offer up a testimonial narrative review of early personal experience with the system. The vids are consistent with my experience, well done, and do not go beyond the pale in any manner that I can see.

SureStrike Laser "Dry Fire" Cartridge training system
Laserlyte Interactive Laser Training Target
Xfighterdefense.com

So there we were - "gittin' drownt" by the loitering water logged T.S. named Lee down in South Looziana. That sucker provided a perfect excuse to while away the hours laser blasting demons by beaming them off the walls, ceilings, door knobs, and other favorite places with this "fun gun" - which is what the dry fire intermittent laser cartridge has morphed my 9mm SIG P226 into for the time being.

So far the "red-light Master Blaster" is going strong and hasn't thrown a misfire through many hundreds of pin strikes. The slide appears to cycle normally when the laser cartridge is installed in the chamber and magazine insertion and ejection feels typical.

There was only one pending issue whose fix is now complete. It appears that the earliest kits shipped with what is now called the "long safety pipe" which is threaded on both ends - and which traverses the bore and exits the muzzle. The proximal end of the safety pipe screws into the female threads on the face of the chambered laser cartridge. The orange indicating "safety nut" plastic cap then screws down onto the threaded downrange end of the safety pipe which extends out past the muzzle face thereby stabilizing and locking the cartridge in the chamber. See graphic below.

Problem: the long safety pipe was too long for short-barreled sidearms. The quick fix was to significantly shorten the one-piece aluminum safety pipe so it would fit barrels from 2.9 inches to 4 inches long and supply a black plastic threaded safety pipe extension spacer that "re-extends" the overall length of the tube for longer barrels. The extended pipe fits my SIG's 4.4 inch barrel perfectly with room to spare, but a new problem has arisen. When I attempt to take down the device, the plastic extension frequently releases from female aluminum threads in the downrange end of the aluminum safety tube first rather from the aluminum laser cartridge even though the black plastic spacer had been hand-tightened into the safety tube with some force.

Solution: removing the cartridge with the extension tube bound to the safety pipe requires field stripping the slide because the downrange end of the safety pipe is several centimeters inside of the muzzle face. Gently screwing the aluminum safety pipe into the aluminum cartridge face is tedious and not totally predictable. Likewise, bonding the plastic spacer into the aluminum tube does not seem like a clean fix as long as the long pipe remains available. The problem was easily resolved when I ordered the long safety pipe which fits perfectly within the 4.4" barrel of my SIG P226 with room to spare without using the plastic extension. The long safety pipe should be fine in 5 inch barrels.

As such the only caveat I can share about the entire system is that one should match their barrel length with safety pipe length when a kit is ordered because I am told that the standard kit now ships with only the short pipe complemented by the plastic pipe extension.

The smart target has operated flawlessly through a large number of laser strikes. Laser strikes activate LEDs which brightly mark strike points but then clear quickly to present an uncluttered target picture for follow up shots. Individual points of impact are recorded in memory as is described in the product vids until recalled by the shooter as he/she illuminates one of two small sensing circles in its lower aspect of the display. At that time the POI history is displayed until the shooter illuminates the other small laser activated circle that resets the target.
Product lit says that the three AAA batteries that power the target are good for approximately 6,000 shots. The reflective targets that are supplied in the kit mark fine, but virtually every surface that I have illuminated within my home and office within any expected pistol fighting range clearly showed the POI of the laser strike.

I note that points-of-impact which are momentarily painted on target surfaces are fairly defined and round red dots. Interestingly, and perhaps of some corrective value, is that the beam smears when fired with a less than steady hand. As an example, intentional pulling of the muzzle toward the 3:00 o'clock position will produce a visible smear from 9:00 o'clock to 3:00 o'clock and the magnitude of the POI smear appears to be related to the rate of deflection of the barrel when the trigger was pressed. Significant muzzle instability is very clearly indicated by the smear.

Concerning the question of safety, first let me say that I use and have certification to use a commercial medical laser device at my office and mount a Viridian Green C5L on my FsN. In that context I never relax on the possibility that losing control of a beam of energetic coherent monochromatic light could cause injury. SureStrike, as a Class 3a, 5mW laser light source should not represent a risk to vision when used in an appropriate manner - particularly the output of the classical dry fire intermittent system. It is said that SureStrike conforms to or exceeds ANSI Z136.1-2000 safety requirements which is a good thing. That said it would not be prudent for one to illuminate one's cornea, retina, or anything in between even accidentally, including but not limited to the wife's favorite cat who have been known to go into deep space orbit psychotically attacking vibrating red demons in their own personal ether. Protective lenses should not be required, but I've learned in my business that sometimes you just can't fix the result of stupid.

Within the context of my experience to date I would assign the design, function, and ease of installation of the SureStrike Laser Bullet a grade of A+.
Last edited by critterdoc on 12 Dec 2011, 09:55, edited 4 times in total.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 03 Sep 2011, 22:34

Nice review, thanks!