Molded frame drooping

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Young Guns
Junior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:43
Location: OKC, OK

Molded frame drooping

Post by Young Guns » 29 Apr 2011, 09:46

this has kinda been addressed in other places, but after looking at mine again today i wanted some of your opinions on this. i know that FN has said that this is normal for the pistols, but is the gap between the slide and frame on mine look excessive to you? it gets pretty bad at the end of the slide....

Image

if everyone else's tac looks the same then i won't worry about it, but if mine is a lot worse then i guess i will regretfully call Bob and talk to him about it.

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 10:11

It is the only reason I haven't bought a tactical. I talked to Bob Ailes about it and he came off like some droop is normal but it shouldn't be noticeable to most people. To me I haven't seen one that isn't noticeable. He said if I get one and it is noticeable to give him a call. I haven't bought one though.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

User avatar
Cyberfly
Global Moderator
Posts: 10605
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 18:44
custom title: Mens Room Attendant
Location: SE OKlahoma

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 10:31

Hunh.
I hadn't heard of it, or, at least, I guess I hadn't read those threads.
Wow. And here I was drooling over them wanting one so bad, but if this is considered 'common'...
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

fooschnickens
Senior Member
Posts: 2826
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 17:34
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~
Location: Hotlanta GA
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Apr 2011, 12:54

My FNP certainly didn't have that issue

Image
Image
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 13:20

When you push down on the slide, how much vertical play do you get?

The spacing isn't really as important as the above. Don't buy into the comical "tight fit and finish" thought process. Just because you can see a space in between the slide and frame doesn't always mean anything.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
Senior Member
Posts: 2826
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 17:34
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~
Location: Hotlanta GA
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Apr 2011, 15:20

Mine had very little play in it. Hell, it didn't even rattle when you had a full mag in it.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tan polymer they're using? Any word if the black tacs suffer the same drooping?
Image
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

ynoty3k
Senior Member
Posts: 2015
Joined: 29 May 2009, 19:13
custom title: Hoplophile

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by ynoty3k » 29 Apr 2011, 15:46

fooschnickens wrote:Mine had very little play in it. Hell, it didn't even rattle when you had a full mag in it.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tan polymer they're using? Any word if the black tacs suffer the same drooping?
Get outta my head

Young Guns
Junior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:43
Location: OKC, OK

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by Young Guns » 29 Apr 2011, 16:13

blueorison wrote:When you push down on the slide, how much vertical play do you get?

The spacing isn't really as important as the above. Don't buy into the comical "tight fit and finish" thought process. Just because you can see a space in between the slide and frame doesn't always mean anything.
the thing is though, i'm real anal about my guns and am actually one of those comical "tight fit and finish" guy. to me personally, if it is tight and well finished, it seems like more of a higher quality product to me. don't get me wrong, i'm a HUGE FN fan boy, and i KNOW they produce quality products, but this does bother me.


it definitely has some play in it when i push/pull down on the end of the frame. :(

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 16:53

If it bothers you, show your pictures to FN and see what they say. They might have you send it back in. It's your money, so make sure you are 100% satisfied with it, right? :)

If it were me I'd just go shoot and not worry about it. I hardly stare at my guns when I'm hitting the bad guy, I'm too busy reloading. :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 21:48

fooschnickens wrote:Mine had very little play in it. Hell, it didn't even rattle when you had a full mag in it.

I wonder if it has something to do with the tan polymer they're using? Any word if the black tacs suffer the same drooping?
I have only noticed it on the tan tacticals, because, well, I haven't seen a black one in person. However, there was an FNP-45 in my local store that had noticeable drooping as well, and it was black. I haven't noticed it in FNX's nor in the FNP-9s and 40s.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fooschnickens
Senior Member
Posts: 2826
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 17:34
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~
Location: Hotlanta GA
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by fooschnickens » 03 May 2011, 12:36

Odd. Maybe it's a recent development in production runs?
Image
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by blueorison » 03 May 2011, 12:44

I don't see any "droop". Droop means something different and refers to warped materials.

I'm almost sure it's a non-issue. Young Guns, I will send you a free FN gift if your gun doesn't shoot like an FN should.

Seriously, guys, I understand you paid a large amount for these pistols, but please go shoot them and stop worrying about inconsequential things on which you psych out yourself.

If I thought there was something wrong with your pistols, I would not have made the above statement, Young Guns. I want you to know that I think QC is very important and so is CS.

I've shot the FN TAC platform at a match before, and I'll go pull video out to see if I can ascertain if it had the same play, though it's doubtful that I will be able to quantify such a small aspect of the pistol on video.

Do you have an update as to what FN replied when you called them? :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Young Guns
Junior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:43
Location: OKC, OK

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by Young Guns » 03 May 2011, 14:50

blueorison wrote:I don't see any "droop". Droop means something different and refers to warped materials.

I'm almost sure it's a non-issue. Young Guns, I will send you a free FN gift if your gun doesn't shoot like an FN should.

Seriously, guys, I understand you paid a large amount for these pistols, but please go shoot them and stop worrying about inconsequential things on which you psych out yourself.

If I thought there was something wrong with your pistols, I would not have made the above statement, Young Guns. I want you to know that I think QC is very important and so is CS.

I've shot the FN TAC platform at a match before, and I'll go pull video out to see if I can ascertain if it had the same play, though it's doubtful that I will be able to quantify such a small aspect of the pistol on video.

Do you have an update as to what FN replied when you called them? :)

Droop was probably a bad choice of words. I couldn't think of any one word to describe how the frame seems to curve downward a bit at the end.

I know it is all mind games I am playing with myself and can't wait to shoot it. I know that as soon as I do I will completely forget about it. I called up my buddy who sold it to me and asked him about it. He promptly told me to quit being a p*$$y about it and just shoot it and enjoy it.

I have not called FN about it. Someone else on the other forum sent theirs in because of it and I'm curious to see what happens when he gets his back...

I'm just freakin' ready to shoot it already...

Buffman
Silver Member
Posts: 2883
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 22:48
Location: SW Michigan
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by Buffman » 03 May 2011, 16:31

Hmm I have gap by the guide rod, but not as much as you do under the frame:

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by blueorison » 03 May 2011, 18:06

Young Guns wrote:
blueorison wrote:I don't see any "droop". Droop means something different and refers to warped materials.

I'm almost sure it's a non-issue. Young Guns, I will send you a free FN gift if your gun doesn't shoot like an FN should.

Seriously, guys, I understand you paid a large amount for these pistols, but please go shoot them and stop worrying about inconsequential things on which you psych out yourself.

If I thought there was something wrong with your pistols, I would not have made the above statement, Young Guns. I want you to know that I think QC is very important and so is CS.

I've shot the FN TAC platform at a match before, and I'll go pull video out to see if I can ascertain if it had the same play, though it's doubtful that I will be able to quantify such a small aspect of the pistol on video.

Do you have an update as to what FN replied when you called them? :)

Droop was probably a bad choice of words. I couldn't think of any one word to describe how the frame seems to curve downward a bit at the end.

I know it is all mind games I am playing with myself and can't wait to shoot it. I know that as soon as I do I will completely forget about it. I called up my buddy who sold it to me and asked him about it. He promptly told me to quit being a p*$$y about it and just shoot it and enjoy it.

I have not called FN about it. Someone else on the other forum sent theirs in because of it and I'm curious to see what happens when he gets his back...

I'm just freakin' ready to shoot it already...
See... because we're on the forum and I don't know you personally, I can't say that to you... :lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

SpaceCoyote
Junior Member
Posts: 143
Joined: 17 Nov 2008, 11:21
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by SpaceCoyote » 08 May 2011, 07:37

I don't own an FNP or FNX, but I have observed that in other plastic framed pistol including glocks. Most plastic-framed guns will have some play in that area. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If it really bothers you, get a steel frame gun :D

Young Guns
Junior Member
Posts: 104
Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:43
Location: OKC, OK

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by Young Guns » 16 May 2011, 15:05

well, went and shot it and i forgot all about this little issue. went to an outdoor range and was doing some shooting with the FS2K also. the only thing to shoot were steel targets at 100 yards. i was using that crap TULAMO, (all i could get on short notice, D'OH!) and even with that i was hitting the steel about 50% of the time. i was pretty pleased for it being my fist outing with it. not to mention the oklahoma wind and turd ammo. damn sexy gun too!

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by blueorison » 16 May 2011, 15:28

Glad that you went out and shot it.

Too many times we worry needlessly. Not that the slack was a needless worry :)

I'm heading up to Oklahoma tomorrow night, coincidentally.

By the way, people might call Tula crap ammunition, but I fancy it better than Wolf. I get 1 MOA at 100 yds with Tula. It's an interesting outlier on the crap-ammo chart.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: 17 Jul 2009, 14:32
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by jgreenberg01 » 16 May 2011, 15:53

FYI, my FNP-45t has a slight gap as well. I never noticed it until reading this thread. I don't really care about it because it's just cosmetic and as long as it hits what I'm aiming at... that's all that really matters to me.

And it DOES hit what I am aiming at!
Last edited by jgreenberg01 on 16 May 2011, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Molded frame drooping

Post by blueorison » 16 May 2011, 16:07

And you could have saved us all the trouble, Greenberg. :lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests