QUESTION for all

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Davidlee
custom title: Code orange

QUESTION for all

Post by Davidlee » 13 Apr 2011, 13:05

Hypothetically if you had a choice of 2 handguns a S&W M&P 9 mm or a FNX 9 which would you chose and these are the only choices. Answers will be appriciated. :ponder:
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm. George Orwell

Robar

Re: QUESTION for all

Post by Robar » 13 Apr 2011, 13:19

FNX for the win. I hope to never have a S&W semi automatic pistol ever again. They make a bunch of great firearms, but I would not trust my life on a S&W semi auto. I was devastated when I heard they were building firearms for Walther.
Anyway, I think the FNX would be a more reliable firearm. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 13 Apr 2011, 14:18

I had a custom S&W 9mm that i carried for 15 years that never failed me once.

Experiences vary it seems.

That being said, i do like the FNP/FNX a lot.

Hard to go wrong with either, if you ask me.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 13 Apr 2011, 14:25

Uh. AVOIDING THIS ONE.

Just kidding :)

Hard choice.

In the end I would choose FNP for better trigger and better quality.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 13 Apr 2011, 15:29

Shoot both. Then decide.

Boom.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 13 Apr 2011, 15:44

Davidlee wrote:Hypothetically if you had a choice of 2 handguns a S&W M&P 9 mm or a FNX 9 which would you chose and these are the only choices. Answers will be appriciated. :ponder:
FNX. I don't like the triggers of the S&W
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 13 Apr 2011, 16:44

I would go with the FNX. I shot a M&P45 not to long ago, and it was fun to shoot for a day, but not something I would buy. I think the FNX's are more comfortable in the hand, better made, plus I like trigger better on the FNX. The M&P series handguns are also striker based which I was never really a fan off. I prefer DA/SA, or SA, and only the occasional exception for a DA gun.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 13 Apr 2011, 19:14

You're on an FN forum right?

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 13 Apr 2011, 19:37

Robar wrote:FNX for the win. I hope to never have a S&W semi automatic pistol ever again. They make a bunch of great firearms, but I would not trust my life on a S&W semi auto. I was devastated when I heard they were building firearms for Walther.
Anyway, I think the FNX would be a more reliable firearm. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
+1. Plus S&W sold out on the "I'll do whatever you say, just don't sue me" bs back in the day.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 13 Apr 2011, 19:43

S&W tried to be sneaky and violated their contract with our PD's main dist., here.

I shoot and RO every weekend with APD's armorer; what happened was the dist. said "Middle finger to you, S&W" and completely eradicated their stocks and got rid of S&W.

Sucks for S&W because APD's budget is pretty darn nice.

FNP/FNTAC/FNX triggers are in the top 10 best factory triggers I've shot with. The Tac. 45 felt identical to the FNP/X. Very short and smooth. If you own a new HK such as the P30/P30L/HK45, it has a trigger very identical to the HK45. I felt like the P30/30L triggers were not as good, but shot close to the HK45.

A buttery-smooth takeup, very smooth break.

The FN Tac. 45 is also the best factory .45 on the market, bar none. Better recoil management than a 1911, higher capacity than a double-stack Para, and most of all, it's from FN.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 13 Apr 2011, 20:38

I am considering the FNX, but I am wondering how well it can be a CCW?

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 13 Apr 2011, 21:12

FNX but I prefer double action guns for self defense.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 13 Apr 2011, 21:33

Tachycardia, do you live in an open carry state? I ask in case it should by accident. I conceal the FsN in a Serpa holster with no problem. Occasionally it shows, but in PA if it does it's not big deal. I've also carried my Kimber and the FNP45T before concealed, and the only problem I had was floor plate on the magazine of the FNP just stuck out too much for me. The Kimber and FsN both work great for me, my shirt almost always covers them. With the FNX I wouldn't see a problem concealing it, it has a shorter barrel then the even the regular FNP45, and isn't too thick, just a double stack gun which is common. So I wouldn't see a problem concealing the FNX, and think it would be a great choice.

No FNH bias to thinking the FNX would be a great choice. Personally I want to SIG 220 for carrying purposes. I prefer single stack guns (just because of the width, which is why the FsN got the exception for carrying), and like DA/SA for carrying. So the FNX has one of my preferred requirements.

Davidlee

Post by Davidlee » 14 Apr 2011, 04:00

You're on an FN forum right?
Ynoty3k you got it. :clap:

I just ordered a FNX 9 mm and am getting answers for my lady freind. She has shot the S&W M&P 9mm and likes it a lot, I just wanted her to see some feedback on the FNX 9. There really was never a question in my mind. As far as concealed carry the FNX should not be a problem, as I carry the FiveSeVEN concealed. Just got my renewal CCH permit yesterday also. :D Also not so sure that a permit is a that much to be happy with as it is a "GOD granted right to protect myself".
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm. George Orwell

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 14 Apr 2011, 07:25

smpsmp wrote:Tachycardia, do you live in an open carry state? I ask in case it should by accident. I conceal the FsN in a Serpa holster with no problem. Occasionally it shows, but in PA if it does it's not big deal. I've also carried my Kimber and the FNP45T before concealed, and the only problem I had was floor plate on the magazine of the FNP just stuck out too much for me. The Kimber and FsN both work great for me, my shirt almost always covers them. With the FNX I wouldn't see a problem concealing it, it has a shorter barrel then the even the regular FNP45, and isn't too thick, just a double stack gun which is common. So I wouldn't see a problem concealing the FNX, and think it would be a great choice.

No FNH bias to thinking the FNX would be a great choice. Personally I want to SIG 220 for carrying purposes. I prefer single stack guns (just because of the width, which is why the FsN got the exception for carrying), and like DA/SA for carrying. So the FNX has one of my preferred requirements.
Yep!
I live in Arizona and sometimes in Alaska, 2 of the gun friendliest places around

I am going to the gun store today to take a good look at one, the Kimber Solo has also caught my eye

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 14 Apr 2011, 08:09

ynoty3k wrote:You're on an FN forum right?
What difference does that make? If he went to a S&W forum, he'd probably hear more support for the S&W. Perhaps he's done that. I have several different makes and models of guns. I really like my FN stuff, but it's not my primary carry weapon. I see the benefits of the FN weapons I own, but I also see the benefits of the other weapons I own. It comes down to many things, not just brand identification.

I shoot a couple other pistols far better than I shoot my 5.7 simply because I've been shooting them longer and because I've already spent the total sum of the National wealth of some small countries on holsters/mags/lights for those guns. I'd rather be more proficient with one of the other guns because I can afford to buy ammo for it, rather than spending all my money on new holsters/mags/stuff for my 5.7.

That being said, I did pick up a M&P 9mm (mainly because it was a steal) because I reload 9mm. The trigger issue can be mitigated with an APEX kit (around $90) to ensure a more positive tactile reset. The M&P is a good shooter but it'll be years before I feel comfortable enough to carry it daily.

Accessories on the other hand, well it's getting cheaper for me now as I'm molding my own Kydex for gear, it's pretty easy and fun. Who knows, one of these days I may get around to molding some for the 5.7 and it might get some more work out time.

Anyways, just because this is a FN forum doesn't or shouldn't automatically determine what is best for someone. I'd also recommend the OP to shoot both, it really is the only way to determine what works for an individual.

(for the record, I've been eyeballing an FN in .45, but the wife said no more sex if I buy another pistol this year, and well... I can wait for another pistol. hehe)

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 14 Apr 2011, 08:13

Also, do you guys think the FN pistols have too aggressive of texturing on their grips? I've knocked down the texture a little on other weapons with some light sanding but can't bring myself to do it with the 5.7. I think I'd end up sanding a bit on an FNX too but I always get that fear of "You can sand some off, but you can't sand some back on" going thru my head every time I hold one.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Apr 2011, 11:06

Yes this is an FN forum but take note of the thread lauding over how great the CZ75b is.

I yes if I was him I would ask about both hear.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 14 Apr 2011, 20:54

Well since you're in Arizona and Alaska, then its one of those things if it shows it shows. So concealing isn't too much of an issue, I personally still like the FNX more over the M&P series. What made me switch from the Kimber to the FsN for carrying was basically the weight. I love my Kimber and still carry it every now and then, but it's almost twice the weight (not to big of an issue but it's noticeable), and the FNX and M&P are pretty much somewhere in the middle. I saw the Solo on Kimber's site, and it looks like a decent gun, just not for me, but the quality should be up there (not that Kimber's are the best ever, but they are good quality).

Not to lean you in another direction but have you looked at the SIG 250? Obviously if you looking at the M&P you weren't dead set on a single action gun, and the 250 is double action. Also you can change out the calibers fairly easily, so you have the option (have to buy the interchange kits) of 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, and .357sig. The 250 IMO doesn't look machined as well as the 220 or 226, and it gives it in certain spots (gotta look close at it) more of a crude and loose machining appearance. A guy I work with picked one up, and basically it seems the reasoning for this was for reliability (think AK), but at the same time still has certain aspects for accuracy. So like the Gali was a hybrid AK and M16, the 250 is a hybrid. Just another gun to think about, plus the cost is in the same range as the FNX's and M&P's.

Davidlee

Post by Davidlee » 15 Apr 2011, 18:29

Thank you all for your feedback :thumb: