SLP for 3 gun VS the haters....

Discuss the FN Shotgun lineup; the Police Pump, Self-Loading Police and Tactical Police Shotgun.
Young Guns

SLP for 3 gun VS the haters....

Post by Young Guns » 20 Apr 2011, 01:28

Ok, I have been looking at getting into three gun for a little while. I ordered an FNP-45 tactical and it should be on the way tomorrow. I have an FS2K (the only rifle I have, so I'm gonna try it until I can afford a SCAR 16). Now, for the shotgun. I would LOVE to stick with all FN's and get an SLP, BUT as you probably already know, everyone says go with a Bennelli M1 or M2. Some local guys have ran with SLP's and they sold them to get M2's. Does anyone on here use the SLP for 3 gun? SURELY it isn't as bad as the Bennelli guys say. Maybe the Bennelli's are better for 3 gun purposes, but surely I can prove that an SLP can hang with them....

Any opinions?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: SLP for 3 gun VS the haters....

Post by blueorison » 20 Apr 2011, 02:00

... what division are you shooting.. heavy? if so you need a .308.

Preferences are yours on the shotgun. Shoot both and feel the recoil and which you're more comfortable and faster with.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 20 Apr 2011, 04:55

i'm not shooting anything yet. just kinda working my way into getting my feet wet. there is a large group of 3 gunners around here and they all shoot .223, mainly 9 mil or .40 and then most have benelli's. i'm sure i will end up with the SLP...if nothing more than to prove to them that with plenty of practice on my part that the SLP will hang with the M1....

plus, i'm a straight up FNH addict....

simplicity

Post by simplicity » 19 May 2011, 23:20

I went through the same thing here 2 years ago. I was winning all the three guns as far as the shotgun stages went with a 870 and I wanted to up my game even more. I looked at both the M1,M2 and the M4 as well. I ended up getting the SLP Mk1 nad haven't looked back since. As far as your locals saying the SLP is crap the only advantage the bennelli has over the SLP is it runs cleaner. When recoil is concerned the benneli developes a fair amount more recoil due to it's recoil opperated system and the gun just doesn't cycled as fast as the SLP. (For those that don't aggree by all means lets meet up and dump some shells) Another big one is price SLP $900, M!?@ $1100 (and has to be modified to IE mag tube extended) (both guns can be ghost loaded or carry a floater) There is a reason why the SLP wins a 1/3 or better more 3 guns then any other brand.There is usually 4 classes in 3 gun standard: open sighted rifle , double stacked pistol and a pump shotgun (no optics), Tactical: rifle can have optics, can use a semi auto shotgun and double stack pistol (optics only allowed on the rifle) Open: pretty much anything goes . Heavy: (also known as heavy metal class) which requires the use of a open sighted 308 caliber rifle a pump shotgun and a single stacked pistol (no optics on any) Any other questions just ask> Hope that helps

Civil

Post by Civil » 16 Sep 2012, 07:35

SLP is fine for 3 gun as stated above :thumb:

Shutdown

Post by Shutdown » 29 Sep 2012, 11:50

I had the M1, sold it because I didn't like it. Bought the SLP years ago and am very happy with it. Try both of them. Its what works for you that counts. Generally, I prefer FN's too, but that's me.

Pac Sound

Post by Pac Sound » 30 Dec 2012, 14:36

I bought a MK1 a few months back for a steal, the down side was it has the rifled barrel. Couldn't pass up $770 for it though as I had been wanting one. Has anyone had any issues with the action being sticky? It feels like it's too tight or something. The gun shoots fine so far though. Any suggestions?
I was going to send it to SRM to get it worked on, so any OTHER suggestions?

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 30 Dec 2012, 18:21

The Bennelli is the fastest semi auto shotgun action In the world. Winchester claims the Super X 3 is faster but hasn't proved it.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Dec 2012, 18:33

SHEEPDOG wrote:The Bennelli is the fastest semi auto shotgun action In the world. Winchester claims the Super X 3 is faster but hasn't proved it.
Your trigger finger is the fastest shotgun.

.' D

But I seriously wonder what all these claims are about; do people even shoot it fast enough? Are any modern semi-autos that are in production slow-cycling enough for people to pull the trigger twice and have it not cycle fast enough?

You're the shottie expert, Sheepdog. TELL ME!

I've always wondered this.

Given, I wouldn't care, either way. I would want my shottie to cycle the fastest. But for other reasons that I would have to write another paragraph that no one wants to read, about.
Shoot more, worry less.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 30 Dec 2012, 18:48

No, it only refers to how fast the action takes to complete a cycle. The fastest way I know to fire two shots would be with an over under with release/pull triggers. Would you like a paragraph on that?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Dec 2012, 20:16

Yeah, so there is no way most people could probably pull it twice before the action finished cycling.

So what's the big deal? I know why I want my action to cycle fast (wink wink), but why do other people care?

Paragraph!
Shoot more, worry less.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 30 Dec 2012, 20:47

It really doesn't matter to us mere mortals. It would allow you to get on the target faster. Considering almost everybody (but you) owns a shotgun, and only about 1% know how to shoot one.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Dec 2012, 21:09

SHEEPDOG wrote:The Bennelli is the fastest semi auto shotgun action In the world. Winchester claims the Super X 3 is faster but hasn't proved it.
Is there a video of a Bennelli shooting faster than this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCB7uEQ9W9A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Dec 2012, 21:24

SHEEPDOG wrote:It really doesn't matter to us mere mortals. It would allow you to get on the target faster. Considering almost everybody (but you) owns a shotgun, and only about 1% know how to shoot one.
I probably spend hours trying to figure out how not to sound arrogant, when I speak about shooting. It's really hard, and involves a lot of disclaimers. Mainly; I don't think I'm good at shooting, so please don't think I'm speaking from a condescending view.

I don't own a shotgun, even though I love shooting 5stand and sporting with it, then 3Gun, because there are so many mall ninjas that have pistol targets at 7 yards that look like they are using buckshot and a 2 inch shotgun barrel.

Since 12ga buckshot is pretty much 9mm, it's basically the same thing. So all I have to do in their fantasy SHTF scenarios is hire a mall ninja, and not buy a shotgun.

It's a lot more economical. All I'd have to do is promise them an unsafe, POS nylon velcro dropleg holster, that they all wear.

:thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 30 Dec 2012, 21:49

I shoot a shotgun a LOT. Most of the time at dove, quail, and pheasant, but quite a bit a clay, just to stay in shape. About once every 3-5 years, I let someone talk me into the latest speedy semi-auto. I end up selling it to friend who is oohing and aahing over it after a month or so, and going back to my 35 year old 870. Every time I show up at a sporting clays range with it, someone snickers and offers me a pump gun handicap. I haven't ever needed it. I haven't tried this "3 gun". Have never even heard of it, to be honest. Sounds fun, but I would still use my 870.

Find me one of these "3 gun" matches in NV, and maybe I could be talked into another speedy semi-auto. It wouldn't be the first time.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Dec 2012, 22:07

NLVMike wrote:I shoot a shotgun a LOT. Most of the time at dove, quail, and pheasant, but quite a bit a clay, just to stay in shape. About once every 3-5 years, I let someone talk me into the latest speedy semi-auto. I end up selling it to friend who is oohing and aahing over it after a month or so, and going back to my 35 year old 870. Every time I show up at a sporting clays range with it, someone snickers and offers me a pump gun handicap. I haven't ever needed it. I haven't tried this "3 gun". Have never even heard of it, to be honest. Sounds fun, but I would still use my 870.

Find me one of these "3 gun" matches in NV, and maybe I could be talked into another speedy semi-auto. It wouldn't be the first time.
I have yet to see a semi-auto that is 100% reliable with all loads. Benellis are pretty close, so are some Remys, but then again, I don't own either, so I can't comment on it personally. I can comment that I've seen a lot of $2000 semi autos jam.

I'll take an 870, any day. Until I can find a semi-auto that runs 100%. The VEPR mag-fed is hitting the market, but it's still too clunky and not ergo enough, for me.

I realize that I'll have to use a super classic, traditional shottie for clays, and get a separate one that I would design to my shotgunning needs; super efficient, super practical. Which, in my eyes, mag-fed shotguns are much more practical. You carry around more, but you can reload much faster.

Then again, I wouldn't carry a shotgun around. Yes, it's a presence, and it is a powerhouse, but the cost/benefit of the weight is not high enough, when you can hit someone 100yds with a pistol that is 1/8th the weight in platform and ammunition. I don't like the KSG. The mall ninjas can have them.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 31 Dec 2012, 00:24

Hey now, I like the KSG :p But didn't want to pay the inflated price for one. Now they're double the inflated price thanks to gun grabbers.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Shutdown

Post by Shutdown » 20 Aug 2013, 21:09

I have found that there is no substitute for trigger time. It also the Darwin test for your firearm.

Shutdown