SCAR 17 "Real World" Accuracy?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

SCAR 17 "Real World" Accuracy?

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 29 Jan 2011, 03:42

I'm thinking about picking up the illustrius .308 SCAR, but unsure as to what direction I want to go. Anyone who owns one comments on how it compares to other gas-operaetd .308's? Don't know if I want to chop and barrel and go with red-dot optics, or leave the barrel as-is and go with higher magnification.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: SCAR 17 "Real World" Accuracy?

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2011, 15:31

Explain "Real World" accuracy.

The gun will do it's job. It's up to you to do the rest. :p
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 29 Jan 2011, 16:09

I mean I don't give a crap what the factory or some "bought-off" gun journalist wants to say about it. I want to know how accurate the gun is from REAL owners who don't have corporate entities or sponsors to appease. It does me no good to put a high-dollar scope and bipod on the thing if the bullet holes are going to be a foot apart at 500 yards; if thats the caes, I'd rather SBR the gun and limit its optical abilities to under 300 yds with low magnification. Of course the ability of the shooter is key, but how does the gun stack up against other .308 semi's at longer distances.... again, actual opinions of owners, not what the book says.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2011, 19:43

That makes it much clearer, thanks for explaining. FN makes very reputable hammer forged barrels, so I am very confident in the accuracy of the SCAR heavy. The military would never accept a MOA+ bbl. That said, because you asked, I will try to get one on hand and test it. As of yet, though, I do not know anyone with one.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Jan 2011, 20:14

blueorison wrote:That makes it much clearer, thanks for explaining. FN makes very reputable hammer forged barrels, so I am very confident in the accuracy of the SCAR heavy. The military would never accept a MOA+ bbl. That said, because you asked, I will try to get one on hand and test it. As of yet, though, I do not know anyone with one.
What military are you from??? :laugh: The military is full of rifles with greater than 1 MOA barrels. Also, the marine corps picked the HK 7.62 rifle over the SCAR 17, so they didn't like it so well.

That being said, everyone I have talked to said it shoots as well as any semi-auto 7.62, except maybe the custom Billet ARs that are shooting well under .75 MOA.

I personally see absolutely zero reason to SBR a 7.62 rifle. None.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Jan 2011, 20:27

While I have no experience with the heavy, I was able to keep a solid 2" grouping at 100yds while sitting (no rest/bags) with cheap 55gr ammo on my light. I will be the first to say that my distance shooting is by no means par so take that as you will (i'm getting better, though!). I would imagine the heavy would easily outshine the accuracy of the light due to the nature of the round alone.

There was an excellent thread on m4carbine going over several different loads at various ranges but all the pics are gone now. There may be a similar thread elsewhere.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2011, 20:42

Irish, was under the assumption MIL accepting platforms were going for MOA or under rifles as one of the considerations. Apologies, it seems that I was incorrect.
Shoot more, worry less.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 29 Jan 2011, 21:33

flyingirish04 wrote: I personally see absolutely zero reason to SBR a 7.62 rifle. None.
A short barrel and folding/collapsable stock are purely for the ergnomoics of the weapon, not to improve weapon functionality. The longer the barrel and stock, the bigger the footprint of the weapon. Maneuvering a rifle in any form of confined space, inside a vehicle, inside an aircraft, or even slung on your back where you don't have visual reference of both ends of the gun, are reasons I consider SBR's to be much better engagement pieces for any active shooter scenario. Concealability is the other big reason.

You may say that there's no reason to try and conceal a 7.62; I say there is a thousand reasons if you want to delve into the realm of the hypothetical. Make no mistake about it FlyingIrish, my purchases are not without an over-arching strategy; I'm not out there just buying guns on a whim or what 'looks cool'. If I was a "bench rest" shooter I'd have half a dozen long-guns with 24" forged barrels. I'm framing the guns in my collection to be the most effective balance of protection, either offensive of defensive, for what I consider to be an imminent series of SHTF scenerios that this country, or the world, may soon face in our lifetimes.

The ability to defeat or counter threats that the 7.62x51 brings to the table, and then covertly camoflage that weapon into something as simple as a heavy jacket, backpack, briefcase, or conveneinetly stuffed away in a small area, is an undeniably strong asset and force multiplier in any situation of unrest. Ever try and maneuver a rifle from window-to-window while inside a vehicle? Its like trying to twirl a 2x4 inside your closet.

I think for now I'm going to leave the stock barrel on the SCAR until factory options are available. Maybe in the future I'll consider another path.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Jan 2011, 22:21

FWIW Tornado tech is offering 10" SBR options with tuned gas systems now for both the 16 and 17 for a piffling $300

Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2011, 23:06

Great config. Same concerns; velocity drops. Unless you purchase specific SB ammunition, velocity will suffer.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 29 Jan 2011, 23:15

Velocity will suffer and all will fall short of the glory of POI.
-Ambrose Bierce

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2011, 23:24

Not if you spray paint it TRUE FDE.

Then it will triumph above all odds.
Shoot more, worry less.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 30 Jan 2011, 07:21

Can anyone explain to me what the SCAR 308 brings to the table over the 40 y/o tried and true FAL other than maybe shaving off a tiny bit of weight?

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jan 2011, 07:55

SpaceCoyote wrote:Can anyone explain to me what the SCAR 308 brings to the table over the 40 y/o tried and true FAL other than maybe shaving off a tiny bit of weight?
Not much. Newer piston system.

Seahawk, none of what you said convinces me that one should ever SBR a 7.62. That is my opinion. It does look cool though.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jan 2011, 07:58

blueorison wrote:Irish, was under the assumption MIL accepting platforms were going for MOA or under rifles as one of the considerations. Apologies, it seems that I was incorrect.
They are going for that. However the basic grunt is still using Colts M-4 which is a 2 MOA gun at a hundred yards at best. From the reviews I have heard, the 16 and 17 SCARS are MOA guns, not sure if FN guarantees that though.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 30 Jan 2011, 10:01

Accuracy requirements existed for both subvariants. The SCAR-L would have to achieve a 70 percent hit ratio on 500 meter point target and a 600 meter area target (T) and 600 meter point target and an 800 meter area target (O). The SCAR-H would have to achieve a 70 percent hit ratio on 600 meter point target and an 800 meter area target (T) and 800 meter point target and a 1000 meter area target (O). The SCAR-L and SCAR-H could not add more than 1 minute of angle (MOA) at 300 meters (T) and not more than .25 MOA at 300 meters (O) to the weapon's shot group.
FWIW
-Ambrose Bierce

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jan 2011, 10:32

Ok, so to do this, you could have a 2 MOA firearm and still do that. An area target is a large target. 2 MOA at a 1000 would be 20 inches. That is well within an area target. I think the SCAR would be able to do this, but so would a M-4

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Jan 2011, 12:25

SpaceCoyote wrote:Can anyone explain to me what the SCAR 308 brings to the table over the 40 y/o tried and true FAL other than maybe shaving off a tiny bit of weight?
Speaking as an FAL nut who has one loaded and hanging above him,

A better buttstock. There are no decent PRS style stock for the FAL. All of the original stocks and even the DSA stocks have no adjustment and all have their cheek rest to low. There is a billet aluminum version out there that costs more then a used FAL and is range only can't be used for the field.

No longer having to rock the magazine in. No longer having to keep inch mags for you commonwealth FAL and Metric for all the others.

It's not the length of two M-14 combined.

It's a whole lot lighter then a full barreled FAL.

Folding stock that does not need an overhaul of your recoil system, Oops you need the inch version not the metric to convert over to a folding stock,
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jan 2011, 14:32

flyingirish04 wrote:Ok, so to do this, you could have a 2 MOA firearm and still do that. An area target is a large target. 2 MOA at a 1000 would be 20 inches. That is well within an area target. I think the SCAR would be able to do this, but so would a M-4
5.56 out to 1000 yards hit inside 20in?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Jan 2011, 16:05

srt-4_jon wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:Ok, so to do this, you could have a 2 MOA firearm and still do that. An area target is a large target. 2 MOA at a 1000 would be 20 inches. That is well within an area target. I think the SCAR would be able to do this, but so would a M-4
5.56 out to 1000 yards hit inside 20in?

10 would be hard, 20 with a good scope sure.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz