FS2000 Cocking Handle Replacement Instructions

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
Lord Skeletor
custom title: In Hoc Signo Vinces

FS2000 Cocking Handle Replacement Instructions

Post by Lord Skeletor » 23 Oct 2008, 12:24

With the assistance of FNH, I've recently received replacement parts for my broken cocking handle for my FS2000. Figuring that I've seen more than one person ask about exactly how to do it, I figured that I'd post these pics/links, showing you how! :D

Here are the instructions...
ImageImage

...and here is the picture.
ImageImage

Not sure if the mods want to "sticky" this one...but I sure could have used this several days ago!

stg2ahn

Re: Broke Your Cocking Handle Like Me? Look No Further---->

Post by stg2ahn » 23 Oct 2008, 12:39

:agree:

Pretty sad that a $2k rifle has a cheap cocking handle.

I guess price doesn't always mean quality. :?:

Lord Skeletor

Re: FS2000 Cocking Handle Replacement Instructions

Post by Lord Skeletor » 23 Oct 2008, 16:17

I just got my replacement parts today---here is the walkthrough for replacing everything. Excuse my crappy "cell phone" pics, but it was all that I had---

Okay...grab your tool kits and proceed with me on my trip to replace my broken cocking handle on my FN FS-2000. Hope this helps you guys out there in a similar situation that I found myself in!

If you have any questions, check my previous post with parts and instructions in the FN-F2000 armorer's manual that I posted above ^^^

1. Alright...you're going to need an armorer's hammer (or small hammer), a 1/8" punch, 1/16" punch, a 3/32" punch, and your allen wrenches.

2. Disassemble your FS2000 and using your allen keys, remove the 6 side plate screws and separate the slide plates. DO NOT disassemble the barrel groups or anything else.

3. Open up your FN FS2000 "Broken Cocking Handle" parts kit and you should have the following:

4. Now...take your left hand slide plate and SUPPORT IT on a hard surface. Find the broken cocking handle and identify the area where the STRAIGHT COILED PIN attached to the cocking handle guide.

ImageImage

5. Using the 1/8" Pin Punch, drive the pin all the way out the bottom. STOP RIGHT THERE. Leave the punch all the way through the guide and handle. Collect yourself...make sure your are in an area where you can find a spring if it goes flying through the air.

ImageImage

Cup your hand over the assembly and remove the punch. The parts should fall out into your hand. Way to go! You've survived to this point, none worse for the wear!

6. This is your COCKING HANDLE GUIDE. This is important...so hold onto it for later.

ImageImage

7. Now we're going to concentrate upon building the COCKING HANDLE ASSEMBLY. I DID NOT include the COCKING HANDLE SPRING (more on that later---just stick with me). You should have these parts:

8a. Now, take the two SLIDE RETURN PLATE SPRINGS and place them into their little slots in the COCKING HANDLE.

ImageImage

8b. They should drop right in....with one of the ends of the spring protruding from the back of the COCKING HANDLE. It should be the same on both sides when both springs are dropped into place:

ImageImage

9. Now the tricky part. Take the SLIDE RETURN PLATE and slide it down inside the COCKING HANDLE. Slide it down half-way, until you can wedge the legs of the two springs into the notches halfway down the plate. Once this is done, I put a punch through the cocking handle to straighten out the spring "eyes" and lined it up with the hole in the cocking handle. NOW...HOLD THE WHOLE DAMN THING TOGETHER--TIGHTLY.

ImageImage

10. Now...using your THIRD ARM (lol), drive the small, STRAIGHT PIN through the front of the cocking handle. This will hold the whole, damned mess together!

ImageImage

11. You should now have a completely assembled COCKING LEVER ASSEMBLY. Now comes the fun part...attaching it to the COCKING LEVER GUIDE.

12. Next...go ahead and put the COCKING LEVER GUIDE on the INSIDE of the LEFT SLIDE PLATE. Note the location of the hole in the COCKING LEVER GUIDE (in YELLOW). BE CAREFUL.

ImageImage

13. If you ARE NOT CAREFUL, you will reverse the direction of the COCKING LEVER GUIDE and you'll have to start ALL OVER AGAIN if you screw up. Make sure that if you're looking down the side plate on the inside of the SIDE PLATE, that the SLIDE PLATE GUIDE looks like a "cup"---not a "flattened end" with a hole in it.

ImageImage

13. Remember the COCKING LEVER SPRING I talked to you about earlier? Go ahead and put it into place into the little channel behind the SLIDE RETURN PLATE (inside the COCKING LEVER ASSEMBLY).

ImageImage

14. Now the TRULY FUN PART! Carefully bring the COCKING HANDLE ASSEMBLY to the COCKING HANDLE GUIDE. Situate the COCKING HANDLE ASSEMBLY onto the COCKING HANDLE GUIDE and ensure that the COCKING HANDLE ASSEMBLY SPRING fits onto the "nipple" of the COCKING HANDLE GUIDE. Then simply drive the COILED STRAIGHT PIN into the hole in the COCKING HANDLE ASSEMBLY, thusly mating it to the COCKING HANDLE GUIDE.

ImageImage

15. HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!
ImageImage

Now...just simply press your SIDE PLATES together, replace the Allen screws and your back in business!

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 23 Oct 2008, 16:21

Nice job, definitely wiki worthy. :thumb:
كاف

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 23 Oct 2008, 16:33

good job. Thanks for doing something you really didn't have to.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Oct 2008, 17:02

I haven't had a problem with mine yet but thank you. Been kinda babying the cocking lever on mine from what I've read on here so that I wont have to go through this.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 23 Oct 2008, 17:38

Lord Skeletor, I've added you to the wiki user group, feel free to post this in the wiki.

If you need help, just let one of us know.

Lord Skeletor

Post by Lord Skeletor » 23 Oct 2008, 17:57

f3rr37 wrote:Lord Skeletor, I've added you to the wiki user group, feel free to post this in the wiki.

If you need help, just let one of us know.
I'll leave such things to those of you with the knowledge to do something like that....I would likely screw something up and then you guys would have yet another reason to make fun of me. lol

Seriously...I hope that helped somebody out there.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 23 Oct 2008, 18:00

Jake is the wiki master, he already had to fix my mistake when I tried to edit the wiki. :laugh:
كاف

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 23 Oct 2008, 21:38

You can screw things up all you want, we can revert any changes back to the way they were :p

I'm not even close to being a wiki intermediate. Esteves is the resident wiki master.

babj615

Post by babj615 » 16 Dec 2008, 12:58

Eh, anyone know where I can get FS2K Armorers Manual/Owners Manual in .pdf format?

Thank You

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Dec 2008, 13:10

Last I heard, they hadn't released anything like that to the public. I would love to become an FN amorer. Didn't Neoarms mention something about amorer's training?
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

DV8R

Post by DV8R » 19 May 2009, 22:12

just bought fs2000 over weekend and whats the first thing i thought,"wonder how long this lever will hold up"? i love fn weapons but is plastic really all that fantastic? will these things still be around in 40 years like the ARs and AKs that have been and will be? thanks for the awsome how to on a problem i know ill have!

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 19 May 2009, 23:08

Ancient adadge: Bigger hammer can fix anything. :cry: :cry:
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

no one

Post by no one » 17 Jun 2010, 07:36

I got almost 200 rounds through my rifle before the cocking handle broke. Another shooter wanted to see what the trigger pull was like, so I said, "sure, go ahead and try it". The cocking handle broke on about the 3rd cycling of the cocking handle. I was babying it so it wouldn't break, but naturally, it broke when someone else was using it.

Now I get the chance to replace it...Damnit!

no one

Post by no one » 17 Jun 2010, 07:40

Is there a reason I can't just drift out the little pin that holds in the front part of the cocking handle and replace that? My cocking handle works, it is just the little extension on the front part that broke off. It looks like I should be able to just drift out the little roll pin, and re-install the front part by placing the spring and front part in place, and drifting the roll pin back into position.

Has anyone tried this method, or what is the reason that this can't be done?

Captiva

Post by Captiva » 30 Oct 2010, 07:16

Can this part be ordered directly from FNH- USA?

ryr8828

Post by ryr8828 » 30 Oct 2010, 09:33

satellitedr3ams wrote:There is a guy on ar15 selling these. if anyone can get his contact info that would be great, he made one that wont break. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 104&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; someone wanna PM him and see whatsup?
I emailed him through ar15.com but haven't got a reply yet. I understand that they cost $50.