How do you like your SCAR?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: How do you like your SCAR?

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Aug 2010, 20:59

swe123 wrote:Who makes that rail mount front grip thing, and who sells it. I have tried the sponsors. But their photos don't open on my Mac. I am lost without pictures. :wall:
Its a Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't see it on the site but I know A&A Arsenal sells Magpul stuff - I bought my ACS stock from sabotteur but I got my AFG locally. I put the AFG on the Colt AR that I bought from CyberFly, works well for the most part but occasionally I do wish I had a vertical grip (which is when I just move my support hand to the mag well). Here's mine:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 12 Aug 2010, 05:45

Thanks for the info. I had seen it on this site but could not find it when I wanted it. It appears to be less likely to snag or pulled off like some vertical grips. I like the Eotech.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 12 Aug 2010, 06:13

We have the AFGs...they normally sell for $35 each, but are $30 for members of the forum, plus $5 to ship them, so $35 out the door. Have them in Black, OD, and Dark Earth.

As for pulling off, never had a problem with that and we have them on three of our guns. The only thing I noticed is that the nut on the end has a tendency to fall off it you don't torque the bolt down when you mount it.

Otherwise they are a great addtion to any rifle.

What magpul should do is keep the look of the AFG, but hing it at the front so it drops down into a verticle if you want it to. Use a locking mechanism similar to the MBUS. I think that would be nice, but I'd guess they break too easially at the hing point....

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 12 Aug 2010, 06:53

Thanks, I saw one on your scar. I figured you carried them I just didn't know what they were called. What I meant wasI thought they would be less likely to get hung up or get in the way.

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 13 Aug 2010, 11:39

Getting back in topic, luv my SCAR too, especially given its light weight and that most effective muzzle break. I'm considering putting that MB on all my rifles. As for the stock, yes it's fugly, but it grows on you, and adds to the unique look of the SCAR. The sights are pretty bulky, but since I have an ACOG mounted on it, it truly is setup as backup sites.

Improvements I would like to see developed would be an extra mag holder like the Blue-Force/Redi Mag system, and an ambi-battery assist system just like Magpul's BAD that fits the SCAR.
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later - 5Jeffro7

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 13 Aug 2010, 14:13

Well... I'm ready to buy mine.. Just have to sell that FsN in the classifieds, and I'll be orderin'.. I finally got to play with one in colorado last month.. and I loved it. The weight is great.. It seems to be about the perfect size, and the FDE finish is supreme.

I REALLY hope someone puts out other sized barrels for it eventually.
- THe GreAt RaYHoLIo!

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 13 Aug 2010, 17:54

swe123 wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:Me to,

Who makes that rail mount front grip thing, and who sells it. I have tried the sponsors. But their photos don't open on my Mac. I am lost without pictures. :wall:

It's made by Magpul.

Tom

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 13 Aug 2010, 19:38

sabotteur wrote:What magpul should do is keep the look of the AFG, but hing it at the front so it drops down into a verticle if you want it to. Use a locking mechanism similar to the MBUS. I think that would be nice, but I'd guess they break too easially at the hing point....
I've seen something like that. Don't remember if it was magpul or not, though. I remember seeing it in some SHOT show pictures a while back.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

cyberdemonbfg

Post by cyberdemonbfg » 15 Aug 2010, 13:01

I was disappointed in it's accuracy,traded it for a acr which is a tack driver,sorry.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 15 Aug 2010, 13:34

cyberdemonbfg wrote:I was disappointed in it's accuracy,traded it for a acr which is a tack driver,sorry.

Interesting.. People dodn't usually say that the SCAR is the most accurate weapon... but I've never heard it called inaccurate....

What sort of accuracy were you getting out of it, at what range?

And how did the ACR compare?
- THe GreAt RaYHoLIo!

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 15 Aug 2010, 15:25

cyberdemonbfg wrote:I was disappointed in it's accuracy,traded it for a acr which is a tack driver,sorry.

What ammo were you using? Ours is a tackdriver, and I'm using 55 grain M193 which isn't the optimal round for the gun.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 15 Aug 2010, 15:37

RaYhoLio wrote:

Interesting.. People dodn't usually say that the SCAR is the most accurate weapon... but I've never heard it called inaccurate....

What sort of accuracy were you getting out of it, at what range?

And how did the ACR compare?
What he said ^ Also was it standing, on bags, in a rest?

I'm no distance shooter and I can still manage 3" groupings at 100yds with it on bags. Hell, even standing I kept a whole mag within 6". Right now the gun is certainly out-performing me. At least the ACRs have come out of the pricing stratosphere and become more competitive with the SCAR.
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

cyberdemonbfg

Post by cyberdemonbfg » 16 Aug 2010, 04:36

I sight in any weapon close up(to start) and use a folded towel for a rest.Using 55 grain ammo(Sabotteur,remember we talked about this)and your right,1 in 7 twist is not the bomb for 55 grain.If yours tack drives with that ammo,don't sell that rifle.

I started real close with the scar at about forty feet at a small target with a silver dollar size red spot in the bullseye,(this was in an indoor range,so no weather effects to hinder it).It was shooting down and to the right.I adjusted the sights accordingly(of course with the sights maxed out,point of impact will rise at a further distance),So i went the whole distance about 25 yds and impact was high and still to the right and no matter how far i adjusted the windage(maxed out) it still shot to the right and the more i shot it the worse it got(we won't even talk about grouping,there wasn't any.People there thinks it was a bad barrel.

Enter the acr,did the same exact way of sighting it in and the bottom line was the last target,fired ten rounds and all ten rounds were in the small red circle.back up sights were use on both weapons,no fancy optics.Also remember the acr has a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

My friend that i went with has a sr-556 ruger that also shoots like the acr(one in nine twist),in fact he shot a happy face with his(no lie),with iron sights.I've seen him shoot that rifle at a hundred yards with a cheap nc star 6X42 scope and be spot on.I have no doubt that the acr will shoot the same way,i will do that when it cools down here(over 105 heat index is not much fun).

I don't know if i just got a bad rifle but something was up with it that i couldn't straighten out.I'm not biased i really like my five-seven,fnp-45 and i have a ps90 waiting in the wings to get sighted in.The ammo that was used was nothing fancy just federal 55 grain.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 16 Aug 2010, 05:26

Yeah.. any rifle that you can't get to shoot dead center with minor adjustments from the factory has some issues.. sounds like an error in manufacturing..
- THe GreAt RaYHoLIo!

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 17 Aug 2010, 02:04

I agree. Sounds like you got a bad apple.
-Ambrose Bierce

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 03 Sep 2010, 18:26

Just got my scar today... out of the box, standing at 200 yards, it was very easy to consistantly hit a 12 inch square plate with irons. Here are my 1st impressions:

I'm very impressed with the rifle thus far... The weight is good.. the stock is very sturdy, and extremely functional... for stock Iron sights.. they're really good. The finish is fabulous. takedown is a breaze.

I think the barrel is a little long... don't know why they didn't ship w/ 14 inch.. and I dislike the side rails. The recipricating charging handle is not an issue for me... but I can see how some don't like it.

one issue. I was firing some extremely cheap 55gr steel case ammo.. It wasn't cycleing about 80% of the time... gas adjustment made it worse.

I only put 20 rounds thru it.. and it's NIB... so I havn't done the initial cleaning and lube. Has anyone else had trouble with it cycling steel, or being picky about ammo?

I plan on buying one of those slick magpul grips.. a bunch of window mags, a sling... and an optic... I'm thinking an Acog on the optic.

I also plan on picking up a shorter barrel, and possibly some conversion kits from hidesertdog when they are available.

After my 1st little experience with this rifle, I think we're gonna have a long, happy life together :)
- THe GreAt RaYHoLIo!

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 04 Sep 2010, 09:07

RaYHoLIo,

Great review and thanks for sharing! I've never shot any steel case bullets, and base on your experience I don't think I want to try. I've shot only 100% brass PMC FMJ through her with no FTF, FTE, or cycling problems.

I've got an ACOG (TA31ECOS) on her right now and would recommend it highly. Nice color match to boot, but haven't gotten up the courage to camp paint the whole setu[ yet. Maybe as a next upgrade.....maybe.

I'm intrigued by the shorter barrel, so will wait to hear more from you when you pull the trigger on that. Maybe you could take some photos on the barrel change out process when it comes time for it.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 04 Sep 2010, 14:40

I've tried everything from brown bear to Black hills in mine and it cycled fine. May have been because you skipped the first time lube-up, you big dummy. :rules:
-Ambrose Bierce

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 04 Sep 2010, 15:58

LOL I figured.. but I had 20 rounds, and we were waiting on the background check... So.. :)
- THe GreAt RaYHoLIo!

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 04 Sep 2010, 16:18

Haha the people at my local shop don't even make me wait around for them to clear any more :laugh:
-Ambrose Bierce