How do you like your SCAR?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
RaYhoLio

How do you like your SCAR?

Post by RaYhoLio » 08 Jun 2010, 21:03

Well.. I'm about to trade in some guns, and I'm thinkin' about getting myself a SCAR 16..

Got a few questions.. How accurate is it compared to other AR-15 style .223 rifles? Effective range?
How heavy is it in comparison so comprible AR-15 sytle rifles?
Do you feel that the trigger is good? are there parts available to 'fix' the trigger if it's not?
How does that FDE finish hold up? does it scratch off?

Is your SCAR the weapon you would grab in a SHTF situation?

Do chicks dig it?

-Ray

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Re: How do you like your SCAR?

Post by ChuckD » 09 Jun 2010, 08:37

Never owned one, but played with one at a fun shop.

It isn't heavy.
That's the only thing I can say. Oh, and Chicks dig it!

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 09 Jun 2010, 10:09

I love ours. My expectations weren't that high when we got it, but it has definitly proven itself.

Accuracy with iron sites is a little better than my wife's S&W MP15, but not by much. I attribute that to the unique flash suppressor and the piston that keeps the recoil down.

Weight is about comprable.

Can't answer the FDE as we got a black one for our personal use.

The aspects that I'm not a big fan of are the large boot stock, function wise it's great, but aesthetically, it's ugly as sin. The high iron sites are too high for my liking. Once again this is a function driven by design to beable to use with aftermarket optics. Eventually I'll pull the factory sites off an put magpul MBUS sites on. Finally, I don't tacticool my guns, so I'm not a fan at all of the incorporated rails on the side and bottom of the upper receiver.

As for a SHTF grab and go gun, it's not the top rifle in our collection, but it sits high on the list.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 09 Jun 2010, 10:49

My biggest gripe with mine are the iron sights. They aren't the worst I've ever used, but they're up there. That aside, it's an excellent shooter, accurate, and will eat any ammo you put in it. I've shot everything over the course of about 1200 rounds from cheap varmint and brown bear steel ammo all the way up to a buddy's hand loads with only one malfunction. It's very easy to maintain and the aftermarket is slowly coming into realization that the platform is going to be around for a while. The finish is just as durable as any other firearm finish I've encountered. It's handled scuffs and bumps fine and hasn't chipped or worn off anywhere in the 7 months I've owned it. The trigger is a fairly polarizing point of contention among owners. Some hate it and are trying to do all they can to make it better. Others feel that it's just right for the role it serves (battle rifle vs sniper rifle). One thing that I am considering now that I've broken it in is to place a small setscrew in the trigger guard to take up the large empty space after the hammer release point. There's a fair amount of distance between there and the trigger reset and removing some of it will definitely improve follow up shots.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 09 Jun 2010, 13:03

I'm not too worried about the irons... I think that they were truely intended as a backup... that's probably why they're so high... but I I've seen supressors on guns that blocked the iron sights... I thought maybe that was part of the modivation as well... anyhow, I expect to have an acog or something like that..

Sabotteur, I'm with ya on the rails.. the side ones look like they could be removed... Is that wrong?

So, I'm gathering that the trigger is deep... A deep trigger to me only matters on the 1st shot.. I try not to completely release the trigger while firing.... Is it still pretty crisp? or is it gritty?

I expect that in time, there will be some aftermarket parts, probably including a butt stock available..

How thick is the gun? I've found that I REALLY dislike fat guns lately... The FS-2000 is so fat it's ridiculous.. Like 3 inches in the body, or a little more if you include the chargibng handle..

sabotteur

Post by sabotteur » 10 Jun 2010, 03:42

Rails can be removed, but then you'll have holes in your receiver from where the bolts screw in. There are two set screws for each rail. They are beveled to fit the rail, so you can't just screw them back in to the receiver if you remove the rails. Having the holes shouldn't be an issue, just effects asthetics.

I don't really think the scar is all that fat persay, but the giant boot of a buttstock does give it that appearance. I'd suggest just getting to a store or show and picking one up for yourself. Best way to tell if you like it.

As for the trigger, I do not shoot competitivly, but I had no problem doing rapid fire using the iron sites at a 50 meter target with about a 1 second interval and keeping everything in a 6 inch circle firing from a kneeling position. I'd definitly say it is better than that of the PS90 and FS2000, but that all comes back to shooting style.

One other note, from the factory, ours shot low and to the right. I expected the low due to the high level of the iron sites, and the adjustment for the windage was a simple fix to bring it on target.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 10 Jun 2010, 12:25

Love mine! Have approx. 3,500 rounds thru her and shoots like a dream. Trigger isn't my favorite but doesn't affect me that bad.
I was skeptical about the weapon and FN's use a polymers but its seems to be holding up better than expected. I would lie to see someone come up with an aluminum stock assembly replacement though.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 11 Jun 2010, 09:11

Damn those look slick...

Sounds like the only gripe is the stock... I personally don't have a problem with how it looks... but I sorta expect them to come out with aftermarket options for that eventually...

I'll probably get some extra screws, and or modify them to look good on the sides... I'm really not interested in having those side rails on the gun.... I'll figure something out! :)

Thanks for the input guys..

How would you say it compares to the ACR and other guns that are trying to fill the same role?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Jun 2010, 09:38

Me to,

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 11 Jun 2010, 18:30

toyslr wrote:Love mine! Have approx. 3,500 rounds thru her and shoots like a dream. Trigger isn't my favorite but doesn't affect me that bad.
I was skeptical about the weapon and FN's use a polymers but its seems to be holding up better than expected. I would lie to see someone come up with an aluminum stock assembly replacement though.
I could make that happen once FN starts selling spare parts, or if someone has a spare laying around....

Also, VLTOR has a stock adapter in the works that will let you drop any AR stock on in. It doesn't fold, but who cares?
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Jun 2010, 18:35

fooschnickens wrote:Also, VLTOR has a stock adapter in the works that will let you drop any AR stock on in. It doesn't fold, but who cares?
Isn't that one of the major selling points on the scar? The folding stock thing? Why put a stock that doesn't fold on it? Just get an AR :p
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 11 Jun 2010, 19:27

Gotta to keep the folder! I think an aluminum "knuckle" replacing the current buttstock attachment with
something like an Ace stock could be made, but then I'm along way from mechanically inclined

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 12 Jun 2010, 09:30

Yeah... I really like the folding option....

I showed the SCAR to my brother last night.. a gun smith.. admitedly 'old-school'... but he thought it looks like a great gun based on the youtube vids I showed him... but like everyone else, thought that the buttstock was a joke... :)

I think a big part of this is personal taste.. I personally don't have a problem with the stock.. from what I've read it's hard to find an adjustable folding stock with an adjustable cheek rest that is actually good at all 3... seems like either it's a loose 'lock-up' or there is no cheek weld.. or the stock adjustments, and ergonomics suck... From user reviews, it seems like the stock has all the fuction they want... it's just 'ugly'.. is that accurate?

sabotteur

Post by sabotteur » 12 Jun 2010, 11:48

I'd say that sums it up pretty well. I haven't put an optic on mine yet, so not sure if I'll like the adjustment for checkweld once I do, but so far I'd say the functionality is better than anything magpul or command arms makes....just wish FN could have made something that wasn't so fugly.

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 24 Jun 2010, 11:55

RaYhoLio wrote:I'm not too worried about the irons... I think that they were truely intended as a backup... that's probably why they're so high... but I I've seen supressors on guns that blocked the iron sights... I thought maybe that was part of the modivation as well... anyhow, I expect to have an acog or something like that..

Sabotteur, I'm with ya on the rails.. the side ones look like they could be removed... Is that wrong?

So, I'm gathering that the trigger is deep... A deep trigger to me only matters on the 1st shot.. I try not to completely release the trigger while firing.... Is it still pretty crisp? or is it gritty?

I expect that in time, there will be some aftermarket parts, probably including a butt stock available..

How thick is the gun? I've found that I REALLY dislike fat guns lately... The FS-2000 is so fat it's ridiculous.. Like 3 inches in the body, or a little more if you include the chargibng handle..

Two of the screws are used in the barrel removal and replacement. I don't think it would be possible or reasonable to mess with it.

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 24 Jun 2010, 11:57

RaYhoLio wrote:Yeah... I really like the folding option....

I showed the SCAR to my brother last night.. a gun smith.. admitedly 'old-school'... but he thought it looks like a great gun based on the youtube vids I showed him... but like everyone else, thought that the buttstock was a joke... :)

I think a big part of this is personal taste.. I personally don't have a problem with the stock.. from what I've read it's hard to find an adjustable folding stock with an adjustable cheek rest that is actually good at all 3... seems like either it's a loose 'lock-up' or there is no cheek weld.. or the stock adjustments, and ergonomics suck... From user reviews, it seems like the stock has all the fuction they want... it's just 'ugly'.. is that accurate?

YES !

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 24 Jun 2010, 12:09

RaYhoLio wrote:Damn those look slick...

Sounds like the only gripe is the stock... I personally don't have a problem with how it looks... but I sorta expect them to come out with aftermarket options for that eventually...

I'll probably get some extra screws, and or modify them to look good on the sides... I'm really not interested in having those side rails on the gun.... I'll figure something out! :)

Thanks for the input guys..

How would you say it compares to the ACR and other guns that are trying to fill the same role?

As you said, " They are trying to fill the same role ! "
As one who owns a SCAR and all the others they haven't succeded. I love my others. I, after all paid good hard money for the others but - in my opinion they are not as good as SCARS.

I will say I like FALs, Sig556 SWATS, Rugers SR556, AUG types and bullpups but the SCAR has to be my number one .

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 24 Jun 2010, 13:35

Thanks for the Info Tom... I'm currently attempting to sell or trade a couple guns to get a SCAR.. we'll see what happens... but I'm really lookin' forward to it :)

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 11 Aug 2010, 17:56

sabotteur wrote:I'd say that sums it up pretty well. I haven't put an optic on mine yet, so not sure if I'll like the adjustment for checkweld once I do, but so far I'd say the functionality is better than anything magpul or command arms makes....just wish FN could have made something that wasn't so fugly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry.
I am a proud owner.
I think it is perfect the way it is.
I wouldn't change a thing.

Different strokes for different folks but I have found my perfect rifle and don't think that picking on it will make me any more of an expert.
My guess is that for about 90% of the folks out there and with the right scope it would make them an excellent 223.

Tom

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 11 Aug 2010, 19:56

panzermk2 wrote:Me to,

Who makes that rail mount front grip thing, and who sells it. I have tried the sponsors. But their photos don't open on my Mac. I am lost without pictures. :wall: