Which FAL To buy?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
Buffman
Silver Member

Which FAL To buy?

Post by Buffman » 08 Feb 2010, 14:48

I have a chance to get my hands on an IMBEL FAL, an Enterprise ARMS FAL, or an Israeli(sp) Heavy barrel FAL (wood furniture), any of them for $800 each. Originally it was $600, but apparently the guy thought he gave me too good of a deal on a Colt Pre-Ban HBAR, so he raised his prices. I was able to get him to $800, but he won't budge anymore. A good thing is the magazines are cheap :)

The IMBEL and Enterprise are probably 7.5-8 out of 10 exterior looks wise, and the Israeli HB is probably maybe an 8. All three are semi auto of course. The safety switch does have three selections, but as stated are semi auto. All Three have carry handles. They're older rifles.
So which one if any would be the better deal?

Matt

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Which FAL To buy?

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Feb 2010, 12:48

IMBEL by fare is the best receiver out of the three. So unless it's messed up bad it's the way to go. Other parts are easy and cheap to get so if items like the hand guards are messed replacements are easy to come by.

FYI Enterprise is pure crap.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Feb 2010, 14:40

Thanks. I figured after doing some reading the Imbel would be the way to go.

You know anywhere to source for a good price a conversion to a PARA lower? It seems like if i go with DS arms have to replace the entire lower receiver. Other options I've seen require cutting your fixed lower receiver, and still buying $400 worth of parts. Are the lower receivers worth anything, or would it depend on who they're made by?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Feb 2010, 16:08

What do you mean by a PARA lower? The lowers are all the same just broken down to inch/metric and type I II III depending on receiver cuts.

It's the bolt carrier, cover and change of location of the recoil spring. That is all on top.

I get allot of parts from this place,
http://estore.websitepros.com/832529/StoreFront.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Feb 2010, 16:50

panzermk2 wrote:What do you mean by a PARA lower? The lowers are all the same just broken down to inch/metric and type I II III depending on receiver cuts.

It's the bolt carrier, cover and change of location of the recoil spring. That is all on top.

I get allot of parts from this place,
http://estore.websitepros.com/832529/StoreFront.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have to forgive my newbieness to the FAL rifle. Here's the DSarms kit. They sell you a new striped "lower"
http://www.dsarms.com/US-Made-FAL-Parat ... 120USSETS/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't know if all the lowers were the same, and I could just buy the appropriate, springs, bolt carrier, and cover and stock to convert it?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 12 Feb 2010, 16:51

Let the cleaning and rebuilding begin :)

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Feb 2010, 20:12

That kit comes with everything. If you look there is a new dust cover. The new cover holds the recoil spring that is currently inside the but stock.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

69ranchero351c

Post by 69ranchero351c » 13 Feb 2010, 17:15

i woulda got the izzy heavy barrel, they are sweet. i just picked up a imbel 16 inch para not long ago

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 13 Feb 2010, 18:29

by the parts it seems to be a steyr variant with imbel main receiver. I'm hoping that long goofy flash hider comes off. although i probably should read the 922r and know what I can and can't do..

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Feb 2010, 18:42

Buffman wrote:by the parts it seems to be a steyr variant with imbel main receiver. I'm hoping that long goofy flash hider comes off. although i probably should read the 922r and know what I can and can't do..
AH come on, that long goofy flash hider confirms to the BG he just got popped by an FAL.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition