Spoke with one of my buddies from home who is a team guy

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Spoke with one of my buddies from home who is a team guy

Post by flyingirish04 » 25 Dec 2009, 17:03

I asked him about the SCAR, and he said he never touched one. He said some other guys in Little Creek got one of the 17's and said it basically has zero use to them when compared to the SR-25 they are using (Mk 11 it is also known by) made by Knights Armament. He says the SR-25 is a 1/2 MOA rifle in Semi-Auto. He says it shoots as accurate as their M-40A3s (M-24 to you Army folk).

The SR-25 is much pricier though it seems and I am not sure if there is a civi version. I have seen it before at Bragg, but never shot it. It looks like a AR-10 variant, but apparently its not. Anyone have experience with one of these. Navy SPECWAR is using four different models of it.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Re: Spoke with one of my buddies from home who is a team guy

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 25 Dec 2009, 18:43

I think there's a lot of SCAR hype out there, when if you step back and look at it analytically, its nothing more than a .308 semi rifle. It doesn't hold any more ammo, and its not any more accurate than any of its mentionable predecessors. For instance, the M-14 (IMO the greatest battle rifle ever fielded), is a 20-round, gas operated, magazine fed, .308 capable of fantastic accuracy and unrelenting reliability/durability.

So... here we are 50+ years later saying that a gas operated .308 semi is somehow a step above whats already out there? I think the SCAR is cool, I want one, it looks neat, i like the fact its a modern piston action; otherwise, thats it.

The SEALS get an absolute woody about anything with "stoner" in the name, becuase Stoner designed most of their bad-boy guns back in the hayday of Vietnam. The follwing was cut and pasted from a quick website. An AR-10 with modest smithing is half the price of a SCAR 17, 10x as customizable, and just as accurate if not more. But.. I still want a SCAR, its the "new" factor.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn13-e.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The SR 25 rifle (Stoner Rifle, model 25) was developed by Reed Knight (owner of Knights Armament Co) and Eugene Stoner (designer of M16 and Stoner 63 rifles among other things) during early 1990s. In essence, the SR 25 was the AR-15 rifle scaled up to shoot 7,62x51 / .308 Win ammunition, with up to 60% of parts of new rifle being interchangeable with standard AR-15 components. This rifle sold well among civilian shooters who needed an accurate semi-automatic rifle in 7,62 / .308 caliber for hunting or target shooting. This rifle also found a favor among US Military - during early 1990s it was adopted by US Navy SEAL groups, as Mark 11 Model 0 sniper rifle system; use of Mk.11 Mod.0 rifle was later extended to US Marine Corps. Mark 11 Model 0 rifle system included the semi-automatic SR-25 rifle, a quick-detachable sound suppressor, also developed by Knights Armament Co, Leupold Vari-X Mil-dot telescope sight, Harris bipod, 20-round magazines and other necessary accessories. In 2005, a modified version of the SR-25 / Mk.11 rifle won US Army Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifle (XM110 SASR) competition, and today it is being issued to US Army snipers, in attempt to replace venerable M24 Sniper Weapon System. A certain controversy exists about this replacement, as some experts doubt that Knight's semi-automatic XM110 rifle could equal long-range accuracy of the bolt-action M24. However, Knights Armament Co claims that SR-25 is capable of 0.5 MOA accuracy with match ammo, and in the field Mk.11 or XM110 rifle can proved accurate and rapid fire out to 600 meters or even more, depending on particular circumstances and proficiency of operator. Use of quick-detachable silencer / sound moderator also has several benefits, the most obvious being concealment of the operator's position, as silencer decreases the sound of gunshot and completely eliminates muzzle flash. Another, less obvious benefit is that silencer also acts as an effective muzzle brake, decreasing recoil and thus permitting faster follow-up shots.

All rifles built on SR-25 platform share same basic action, which is based on AR-15 / M16 system. This is a gas-operated system with direct-impingement gas drive, which has no gas piston. Instead, powder gases are fed from the barrel and through a stainless-steel tube back into the receiver, and then into the cavity inside bolt carrier through the gas key. Inside the bolt carrier, powder gases push it back against the bolt, thus first causing the bolt to rotate and unlock from the barrel, and then to cycle the action. The rotary bolt has 7 radial lugs and improved extractor. Both upper and lower receiver halves are made from aircraft grade aluminum alloy, and connected by cross-pins. There is no "forward assist" button on the SR-25 rifles; the brass defelector is present. Barrels are of match class quality, and enclosed into free-floated forearm, fitted with Knights-made and designed Picatiny rails system. Because of AR-15-style recoil buffer, which extends rearwards fro the receiver, SR-15 cannot be fitted with folding buttstock; most rifles are fitted with fixed butt, while SR-25 carbines are fitted with telescoping buttstock. Trigger is also of match grade, fully adjustable.