SCAR Pricing

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

SCAR Pricing

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Nov 2009, 12:58

Is it just me or does the SCAR seem overpriced.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Re: Update on Scars

Post by fooschnickens » 15 Nov 2009, 14:14

Well, some people are trying to sell them at incredibly exorbitant prices and, as such, are artificially inflating the price little by little all over. Particularly on GB. There are still numerous retailers that stick much closer to sane prices. From what i've seen, most people not looking to gouge people's eyes (and wallets) out are asking for about $2400 NIB.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 15 Nov 2009, 14:42

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:Is it just me or does the SCAR seem overpriced.
Not when you pay a reasonable price. Like 2,500 from Ray.

Consider what it would cost you to have a gas piston AR15 with a monolithic rail system. And that leaves out things like a two stage piston, a changeable charging handle (left or right side), etc. It's also pretty unique in a lot of ways.

I've seen folks dump a lot more than 2,500 into an AR 15 to get a similar gun, when all I had to do was open a box.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 15 Nov 2009, 15:30

I know that prices are demand-driven. Gun salesman are probably worse than cars salesmen when it comes to supply/demand.

I remember when Bush was in his first term post 9-11, you could walk into a gun store and get crazy deals for just about anything. Now with Obama in the chair you need to be made of cold hard cash to even look at a weapon.

I've got (3) .556 rifles in the closet and I dont see the need for another one, so that makes me lean heavily towards the 17s in a PROPER 7.62x51 combat round. YOu know there was a time in the history of our world that Americans were feared marksmen. We didn't need too many rounds to put something down becuase we could actually hit what we were aiming at, so we opted for 30 caliber and larger rounds for range and killing power. Now its all about how many times you can pull the trigger and hit jack squat...and therein lies the argument for how many rounds a soldier can carry... The M14 which was technically an improvment on the M1 Garand with its detachable magazine and better-performing, short-action .308, was officially the END of this era... oh well, thats another story and another argument.

If I can get a 17s for under 2000 NIB I think I'll bite. Until then I'll wait until the hype dies down.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 15 Nov 2009, 17:34

Wollychop wrote:

Consider what it would cost you to have a gas piston AR15 with a monolithic rail system. And that leaves out things like a two stage piston, a changeable charging handle (left or right side), etc. It's also pretty unique in a lot of ways.

I've seen folks dump a lot more than 2,500 into an AR 15 to get a similar gun, when all I had to do was open a box.

Yup, my AR upper that enticed me to sell my scar cost 2100+

The SCAR is easily worth $2500 if you like its benefits over an AR and don't mind the few things you give up going from a high end AR to the SCAR.

The problem is that the average Joe doesn't care about, or see, the benefits the SCAR has over a $1000 AR so they will go out and say its not worth $2500. Which to them is the case but not to the guy that really wants the folding stock or tank-like operating system.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 15 Nov 2009, 18:08

Hmm didn't mean to aid in the hijacking of Ray's thread, maybe a split is in order?

Wollychop

Re: SCAR Pricing

Post by Wollychop » 15 Nov 2009, 18:14

Good idea :)

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 15 Nov 2009, 18:37

If pricing coms down close to MSRP, SCAR > FS2000?? I've entertained the idea of another 5.56 weapon, and those two come to mind. Would like a SCAR 17S not sure when we'll be able to get those..

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 15 Nov 2009, 19:15

Earlier this year a dealer at a gun show was asking $3,200. I don't know if it is the same one, but I'm guessing it is, he had it up for $3,500 today.
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 15 Nov 2009, 19:48

I found a couple places offering pre-orders on the black SCARs. And at decent prices, to boot. I sent them some e-mails to see if they were, in fact, certain they were getting them. If they are i'm selling the FNAR.
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 15 Nov 2009, 21:52

Don't see SCAR pricing dropping any further for a awhile. Even when they become
stock items, dealer cost is 2100.00.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 16 Nov 2009, 06:26

fooschnickens wrote:I found a couple places offering pre-orders on the black SCARs. And at decent prices, to boot. I sent them some e-mails to see if they were, in fact, certain they were getting them. If they are i'm selling the FNAR.
Well post up who/where, I want a Black 17s.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 16 Nov 2009, 09:44

We probably won't see a 17s in either color at least until next year. I still haven't heard back from either place, so until then I'll refrain from posting them to keep from getting people's hopes up.
-Ambrose Bierce

hapkido

Re: SCAR Pricing - $2300 at gun show this

Post by hapkido » 16 Dec 2009, 19:07

I just saw a big vendor selling SCARs for $2300 at gun show this past weekend.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 16 Dec 2009, 22:09

Well, expect the prices to go back up soon, cheaperthangold has a SCAR on the front cover of their latest catalog. :laugh:
-Ambrose Bierce

steve100

Post by steve100 » 10 Jan 2010, 19:00

Could Hapkido or anyone else please tell me who is selling the scar for $2300?

Thank you very much.

Steve

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 23 Jan 2010, 21:53

+1 ... I would like to know as well. I haven't seen one at that price yet.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 24 Jan 2010, 09:34

All the online retailers I've seen with that price are usually out of stock and aren't accepting backorders.
-Ambrose Bierce

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 02 Feb 2010, 09:17

Wollychop wrote:

:agree:

Plus you have a free floated barrel and a sub MOA at 100' gun. The internals of this gun are simple and amazing.

Tom

:thumb:

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 02 Feb 2010, 09:35

Image[/IMG][/URL]Image[/[URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae16 ... G_0200.jpg]ImageURL]Image

I saved for quite awhile to be able to afford these rifles and oufit them the way I wanted!
No one is going to tell me I wasted my money. the money was mine, now the guns are mine!
They are a great addition to my collection. Since I am on Social Security, this is probably my last gun purchase and I am pleased with it.

There will be other great guns comming down the line as others will always be trying to improve their product or invent a new one to create future sales but { HA I GOT WHAT I WANTED } .

Please click mouse on pictures or addresses for pictures