FS2000 IA Drills

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
TexasKrypteia

FS2000 IA Drills

Post by TexasKrypteia » 16 Jul 2009, 12:38

I have had one range session with the FS2000 and I was very impressed. So impressed that I am considering getting one. In my limited experience with the weapon I had no malfunctions. As a result I have no idea what the IA procedures are for the FS2000. Because of the unique design of the FS2000 are there IA drills that are specific to it? Is there a way to check if you are out of ammo short of ejecting the mag or flipping up the chamber cover? How do you clear double feeds? I have looked at the FN manual, but there is very little info. Has anyone here taken an FS2000 through a tactical carbine course?

TexasKrypteia

Re: FS2000 IA Drills

Post by TexasKrypteia » 26 Jul 2009, 22:04

Has anyone here ever had a malfunction with an FS2000?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Jul 2009, 22:36

No course for me but I do recall someone putting it thru the paces. Not sure where to look or even if it is on this forum - may have been before last year's crash :(

The most common malfunction is a FTFire, they had a recall for light primer strikes. I still have the occassional FTFire but I am placing most of that blame that on my ammo - PMC .223 55gr
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

romer522

Post by romer522 » 26 Jul 2009, 22:47

Only issues I had with my FS2K were in the first 100 rounds, couple failures to feed. Strip mag, rack/lock handle, little shake, insert mag, rack handle, bang.

Full disclosure I never really ran it that hard, but I've never really heard of them double feeding or anything really problematic. Course that all depends on your mag-seating skills.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 27 Jul 2009, 03:22

I'm going to have to mirror Rommer and Rapier. In the first 200 rounds or so I had some fail to feeds and some light primer strikes. At the time I was either using S&B .223 or PPU M193. In most cases I was using the factory mag. Keep in mind I didn't take the time to clean the factory goo from the gun. I was running short of time the day we first took it out, and the gas plug didn't want to come out so I didn't do a complete strip.

After 200 or so rounds though, I don't think I've ever had a problem with it since.

They are a great gun!

Pralix

Post by Pralix » 17 Aug 2009, 07:29

I had so many Fail to feeds, that I had to send mine back to FN to fix. It fired better with the factory mag. Any of the standard GI mags I used would not work. I now have some teflon coated mags with Magpul followers. Hopefully these will work.

reads

Post by reads » 17 Aug 2009, 10:43

Sorry for high jacking but,
Pralix, I have used the cmags with no issues.
I have used green , orange, and black follower.
Aim has the orange on sale 7.95.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/C_Pr ... 3_mag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 17 Aug 2009, 11:22

Yeah, most of the failure issues I've experienced with the FS2000 is the same, failure to feed. For some reason mine does not like fully loaded magazine and will not feed properly from GI, HK Maritime, or any STND mags. All mags I've tried are brand new, but as long as I keep the rnd count <30 in any one mag, then the feeding problem goes away. It's in keeping with what was recommended in previous post on the old forum so I've kept my mags loaded that way ever since. I bought my rifle used, but it looks brand new and it's very clean, so unfortunately I don't know the previous rnd count through it or if this problem existed prior to my purchase.
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later - 5Jeffro7

User42

Post by User42 » 26 Aug 2009, 23:58

I have had two failure to feed problems in 200 rounds, both times with the stock mag (also it was the first and second time I took it out, so it was in the first 100 rounds). Switched to C-products teflon coated with the magpul style yellow followers, and haven't had a single problem since.

I found out 20 round curved C-mags work, and they line up with the bottom of the rifle almost perfectly (with just enough sticking out to grab it), but do not put a ranger floorplate on the 20 rounders... Ranger floorplates compress the spring of the 20 rounder too much, causing double feeds every time. Ranger floorplates suck in general, just don't put them on anything. The magpul rubber grips work much better.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

Pralix

Post by Pralix » 10 Sep 2009, 13:33

DAUG wrote:Yeah, most of the failure issues I've experienced with the FS2000 is the same, failure to feed. For some reason mine does not like fully loaded magazine and will not feed properly from GI, HK Maritime, or any STND mags. All mags I've tried are brand new, but as long as I keep the rnd count <30 in any one mag, then the feeding problem goes away. It's in keeping with what was recommended in previous post on the old forum so I've kept my mags loaded that way ever since. I bought my rifle used, but it looks brand new and it's very clean, so unfortunately I don't know the previous rnd count through it or if this problem existed prior to my purchase.

Did it fire fine after the first shot in a full 30rd mag went through? My FS2K would fire the first round then the ejection mechanism would keep subsequent rounds from loading properly. The FS2K has been the only gun purchase so far that has disappointed me.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 10 Sep 2009, 14:54

Wierd. I've got close to 3000 rounds thru mine with nothing more than one dud round. It may have been a light primer strike, or it could have just been cheap ammo. I doubt I'll sell mine as it has a fairly cool serial number. 006900... yeah baby!!!

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 10 Sep 2009, 20:35

Pralix wrote:
DAUG wrote:Yeah, most of the failure issues I've experienced with the FS2000 is the same, failure to feed. For some reason mine does not like fully loaded magazine and will not feed properly from GI, HK Maritime, or any STND mags. All mags I've tried are brand new, but as long as I keep the rnd count <30 in any one mag, then the feeding problem goes away. It's in keeping with what was recommended in previous post on the old forum so I've kept my mags loaded that way ever since. I bought my rifle used, but it looks brand new and it's very clean, so unfortunately I don't know the previous rnd count through it or if this problem existed prior to my purchase.

Did it fire fine after the first shot in a full 30rd mag went through? My FS2K would fire the first round then the ejection mechanism would keep subsequent rounds from loading properly. The FS2K has been the only gun purchase so far that has disappointed me.

No, the problem was always the first rnd of 30 in a full mag. As long as I removed the first round the rest would fire till the mag was emptied. So now I just keep 28-29 rnds in any mag for full function.
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later - 5Jeffro7

romer522

Post by romer522 » 10 Sep 2009, 21:03

The factory mag I got with mine was total trash, literally threw it away. But ran it with Cproducts alum and SS mags 100%.