A little help please....

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
dtask

A little help please....

Post by dtask » 16 Sep 2008, 01:20

I've got a FN SPR in 300 WSM and I have Nikon's top dog scope on it. Problem I have is that with the 20 MOA rail on the SPR, I shoot way too high & I have run out of elevation "clicks". Now here is the question - I have read about cutting aluminum cans to use as shims - Has anyone tried this? Does it work? It would seem that it would but should I buy some & if so, from whom?

Now question #2: Can anyone tell me how to get the ACE Skeleton stock off of my RRA 6.5 Grendel so that I can put on my Magpul PRS? I want to do it without scarring it up, but I can seem to get the damn thing to budge (could be the Duracoat?). :wall: Anyway, I was thinking of putting the Nikon off of the SPR onto the 6.5 and then putting a fixed 16X Super Sniper on the SPR because it has a crazy amount of clicks on the elevation knob and I figured that 16X fixed would be good for the 300 WSM cartridge. Comments, opinions and insight(s) would be greatly appreciated.

Wollychop

Re: A little help please....

Post by Wollychop » 16 Sep 2008, 06:13

What kind of height above bore are you seeing with the scope on the SPR? I have a Nikon on my SPR as well and it's about 1.5" to the center of the objective. How tall are the rings you are using? That just seems odd to me.

dtask

Post by dtask » 16 Sep 2008, 17:01

The rings are medium and the objective bell is ever so slightly above the barrel - doesn't touch, but is very close - you could maybe fit a quarter in between the bell and the barrel. I aimed at an unlucky jackrabbit that was at the base of the berm on the 200 yard lane (which basically means that Jack was at 223 yards - I lazed it after) and held about 5 mildots over the jackrabbit and hit right in front of it. The resulting shrapnel took care of the rabbit but it certainly was not a hit. I'll go take it out and measure it....

dtask

Post by dtask » 21 Sep 2008, 00:19

Still haven't been able to figure the elevation issue with my SPR/Nikon combination - nobody has input on this? :?: I guess I'm going to have to try some high A.R.M.S. rings with the fixed 16X scope and put the Nikon on the 6.5 Grendel.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 21 Sep 2008, 13:49

What are you zeroing the gun for that you'd hold 5 mildots over at 200 yards? That seems a bit off. I don't own a 300 WSM, but have a few co workers that have them and they are usually zeroing their rifles at 200 yards for elk. I only ask because if this is a hunting rifle and you are zeroing inside of 200 you may want to reconsider with that caliber. It sounds as if you are zeroing for much shorter than 200. You should be at about zero elevation (zero clicks) from the scopes center. Is it possible that your turrets have been moved to the extreme ends of the spectrum and turned too far or not returned to the center? Something isn't adding up. Here's a balistic Chart for reference. 300WSM Ballistics. If you zero at 200 the bullets is already on it's downward travel of the parabolic arc, or just reached it. The drop after that is nearly double per 100 yards after that.

Just throwing some stuff out there, so don't get upset, It's not a personal attack, I just don't have enough information yet to provide you with anything helpful. Tell us more.

Zhur

dtask

Post by dtask » 21 Sep 2008, 16:02

No man - thanks for the link! I'm looking for anything in the vein of information & insight. I'm thinking that it's either the 20 MOA rail on the rifle that is messing me up or the scope itself. A 200 yard zero would be great, but I can't get there with the situation that I have. I guess I need to go spend some time looking at the turrets. Thanks for the insight.

no one

Post by no one » 23 Oct 2008, 09:15

I thought the whole point of a 20moa base was to cause the rifle to shoot high, thereby requiring the scopes elevation to be turned down in order to zero it. That way, most of the elevation is available for long range shooting. In other words if you have 80 minutes of elevation (40 up, 40 down) then after zeroing the 20 moa base has you with 10 minutes down, and 70 minutes up. Am I missing something here?

dtask

Post by dtask » 23 Oct 2008, 12:56

Right -
dtask wrote:I'm thinking that it's either the 20 MOA rail on the rifle that is messing me up
Maybe it's me who is the one missing something here, but the point is that I couldn't zero my rifle period. A 600+ yard zero for a 300 WSM for practical reasons (I'm not a sniper nor do I pretend to be one on the range much past the exhilaration of a nice grouping & I don't have that kind of open real estate to shoot on) won't work for me. I yanked the scope, bought a new 0 MOA base from EGW and will be reassembling here shortly.

reads

Post by reads » 23 Oct 2008, 13:16

the 20 moa rail you are using, is causing the scope to run out of adjustment.
if you are going out 200 yards you need a 0 moa or try a 10 moa.
yes, you can shim the optics, but, not the best condition.