FNAR .308 light barrel versus heavy barrel

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
mayadajeffery

FNAR .308 light barrel versus heavy barrel

Post by mayadajeffery » 17 Feb 2009, 16:42

Aside from the obvious difference (the weight!) what do you suppose is the functional difference between the two barrels. One is better at (X) while the other is better at (Y). In other words, which is a smarter purchase. :ponder:
Also, has anyone seen where to buy additional mags?
I wonder how hard it would be for a machine shop to make mags, and even 50 rd. mags for this gun? :cool:

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: FNAR .308 light barrel versus heavy barrel

Post by f3rr37 » 17 Feb 2009, 16:53

I would guess one is a bull barrel, as they are the same length but the total weapon length is the same. A bull barrel will give you a little better accuracy, but with added weight; while the light barrel has the advantage of weighing less.

??

tejohnson
custom title: a nobody

Post by tejohnson » 17 Feb 2009, 19:18

Still have my heavy barrel on lay-away, but will be snagging it before April 15th to get the shooting mat deal from FN.

I planned on a heavy barrel for the same reason that Fuzzy describes, but it was an assumption on my part. I just got lucky to find one locally that I could buy over time (model: 3108929100). If it would have been a light barrel, I would have likely bought it anyway...

As far as I know, it is a Browning BAR with a pistol grip and Picitinny rail on the forward furniture.

I.e, http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CMMG has the magazines listed, but good luck finding any in stock. I have not done any research to see if the "box magazine" for the BAR is the same as the FN "proprietary FNAR" magazine.

tejohnson
custom title: a nobody

Post by tejohnson » 17 Feb 2009, 19:29

I'd say chances are good:

Browning BAR 4-round mag:

FN FNAR 20-round:

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 18 Feb 2009, 05:58

I have the heavy, it has a fluted barrel. You will get greater accuracy out of the heavier barrel as you won't get as much of the micro-vibration of the metal as the round travels down the chamber.

As for magazine interchangeability, from what I've been able to gather, these are proprietary magazines to the gun, meaning that there are not any off the shelf mags that will work in these babies except the ones from FN.

I was fortunate that when I bought mine, the guy threw in an extra mag for me. I've had 3 extras on back order with CMMG now for 4 months. Don't hold your breath on them right now either, as they can't even fill their 50 round PS90 back order list. I just received a 30 round mag with the 50 round mag plate conversion from them instead of my 50 I ordered. They don't even ship the 30s in the box, just had it sealed in plastic with the mag plate.