Any SCAR People Here?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
Beecher Tool

Any SCAR People Here?

Post by Beecher Tool » 21 Apr 2013, 20:47

Ok.....gonna see if anyone has interest in non-5.7x28 product on this side of the fence. I am sure that I am not an unknown...a refugee from the "other FN forum" not going to get into the background....will share the background on a pair of my guys...and see if it wakes anyone up.

The history on these guys:

SCAR 16 FDE - Aimpoint Comp 4, Aimpoint 3X magnifier, Larue Mount for Magnifier, Vltor Stock, Tangodown BR17 Grip, Geissele Super SCAR Trigger, Promoted Pawn Extended Side Rails, Promoted Pawn Extended Front Sight Top Rail, Magpul Front Sight, Magpul Selector, GG&G Charging Handle, Tangodown Stock Latch, Tactical Link Single Point Bungee Sling, Tangodown Short Front Grip, GG&G QR Rear Sling Mount

SCAR 17 Black - Elcan Specter DR2 1.5-6X, Vltor Stock, Tangodown BR17 Grip, Geissele Super Scar Trigger, GG&G Extended LH Rail, Promoted Pawn Extended Front Sight Rail, Magul Front Sight, Magpul Selector, Stryker EACH Charging Handle, GG&G QR Rear Sling Mount, Tactical Link Two Point Bungee Sling, Altas ARMS Mount Bipod

They are both working out well....added an FNX 45 in FDE......and looking at an SPR A5M.....so much for the effort..and the rest of you?
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 21 Apr 2013, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed img tags

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Any SCAR People Here?

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Apr 2013, 21:21

I have wanted an H for awhile since I am an FAL guy over AR. Since the launch of the H model though prices have been crazy. Also lack of mags and cost of mags that are not really much more then Metric FAL mags with a polymer follower have added to to the delay of me picking on up.

I know Molon Labe is working on them but still it's an aggravation.

Though about the L but that fact it has issues with P-mags bugged me. One of the reasons I picked up an M4 is the number of them I have. I have lost count. There is an issue with the edge of the bolt face hitting the back of the P-mag on the left where there is less of a relief versus the right side. I don't think P-mag is going to change it's design and while I know I can modify all of my P-mags and any I buy down the road i still have to worry about picking up a non modified one and jacking up the bolt.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Apr 2013, 20:20

Welcome, Beech.

This is the only forum I frequent, ; however, I do comment on the other forum at mall ninjas when they post, as I cannot do it here for we are more polite. I do it not to mock someone from an egotistical standpoint, but as a plain and unloaded response to their spammage of pictures and threads on "look at all this tactical crap I put on my gun, congratulate me and make me feel good about spending the unnecessary amount of money so I can sleep better at night". I feel that exercising my freedom of speech is valid, in this instance, as they waste my/our time clogging up the "recent post" threads.

I think your guns have too much stuff on it, making it too cumbersome. However, I appreciate that you have such great firearms. FNH has been sliding downhill since a few years ago, and I am apprehensive to purchase any firearms from them, anymore, for fear of one that is far enough out of the spec from the specsheet such that it does not operate as intended.

With that said, I like to keep my firearms very mobile. You're probably more fit than I am, and can run around with other necessary gear and your SCAR H for miles. Or perhaps, like most I have met, you carry it from the range bag to the bench. Either way, thanks for being a contributing member of this forum. :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Apr 2013, 20:33

He pimped his gun but it isn't all add-ons, some of it is a change-out. As such, I don't think much more weight is added :ponder: The H extras are simply a sling, scope, & bi-pod. All of which are perfectly normal for a 7.62 rifle. Just IMHO of course.

As for the title question, there are plenty of SCAR threads here, please feel free to use the Tactical Search & peruse what others have or are saying about them.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 23 Apr 2013, 06:19

There are some heavy fans on this forum, too.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 23 Apr 2013, 06:31

Actually...I shoot three gun and other things so mobility does matter....as for "pimping out".....I couldn't disagree more strongly...the bipod doesn't live on the 17, and the idea of NOT having an optic or a sling on a 7.62 doesn't make much sense to me. The rest of the items are what I view as upgrades that serve a functional purpose. Candidly....when I see all of the stuff people hang off of PS90's its even funnier....be that as it may. Thanks for the thoughts.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Apr 2013, 07:10

Beecher Tool wrote:Actually...I shoot three gun and other things so mobility does matter....as for "pimping out".....I couldn't disagree more strongly...the bipod doesn't live on the 17, and the idea of NOT having an optic or a sling on a 7.62 doesn't make much sense to me. The rest of the items are what I view as upgrades that serve a functional purpose. Candidly....when I see all of the stuff people hang off of PS90's its even funnier....be that as it may. Thanks for the thoughts.
:thumb:

All I can see adding to a PS/P90 is a REM for the ring sight. Otherwise some internal stuff to beef it up and I am good.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 23 Apr 2013, 07:27

:thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight » 17 May 2013, 02:33

Beecher,

What kind of edm work do you do? On a parallel forum, some members asked me about making a SCAR carbon scraping tool. The original looks like a plate that could be water or laser or edm cut, the boring tool is bar stock that was originally round bar, looks like they did a poor job designing it, and it could be done better via edm.

Are you up to become the ironic producer?

I can do the cad work.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 17 May 2013, 10:05

I have the carbon scraper if you want to borrow it for measurements or to cast a mold.

No way is that plus the wrench worth the $400 (or more) than some ask (and some get!) for the SCAR operators and cleaning kits. We had looked at reproducing the scraper a while back but moved on to other testing and that got lost.

Sinder

Post by Sinder » 17 May 2013, 15:23

just posted a review on my scar-17 setup :) I love these things!

ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight » 17 May 2013, 18:51

fd57 wrote:I have the carbon scraper if you want to borrow it for measurements or to cast a mold.

No way is that plus the wrench worth the $400 (or more) than some ask (and some get!) for the SCAR operators and cleaning kits. We had looked at reproducing the scraper a while back but moved on to other testing and that got lost.
Thanks for the offer. Someone else is sending me one to measure. If that does not come through, I'll let you know. But I agree on the price, I can't see this costing more than about $50, even in small quantities.

The other tool is interesting because it has hex drivers, so you'd either have to invest in a hex broach, or else buy commercial sockets to attach.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 18 May 2013, 04:14

Sure thing. It's not made from titanium. :) Perhaps the price is simply because the quantity available is no where near the quantity demanded.