Lights for the FS2000

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
ae35unit

Lights for the FS2000

Post by ae35unit » 18 Mar 2011, 21:41

I'm sure this must have been asked & answered here before but I'm not turning up a conclusive answer searching this evening ...

I have both the standard handguard and the tri-rail replacement for my new FS2000 and I'm looking to mount a solid, bright light on it. I'm thinking Surefire looks like the popular brand, LED is a clear winner and of course (I assume) brighter is better. I'm fine with paying a premium for real quality.

So ... I'm wondering what you other FS2000 owners have opted for, how happy you are with your choice and why. I'm particularly interested in solutions using the tri-rail, I've kinda come to like it. I have seen the handguard mod (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhaYP_LPxt0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and can't say I find it quite as aesthetically pleasing (though if in practice it's a clear winner, I can't say I dislike it either).

So what have you tried for lighting and have you come across something that really feels more 'right' than anything else?

Thanks!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Lights for the FS2000

Post by blueorison » 19 Mar 2011, 20:51

Don't like saying this because it is overpriced, but a very well-made and extremely durable unit, but Surefire is the way to go. I have also found that cheap China lights work just as well. They also can take a beating.

If you want to buy premium, it's Surefire. But you don't have to, cheap sub-$100 China lights will work just as well. However, they have not had time in actual combat, so YMMV.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Re: Lights for the FS2000

Post by fooschnickens » 20 Mar 2011, 10:37

I echo Blue' sentiments. Like most things related to firearms, don't let your choice be determined by a brand name/hype alone. Get what works best for you and has the features you want.

Case in point: A buddy of mine in the sandbox uses several NCStar (omg!) components on his service rifle and all of them have survived multiple tours.

Don't be afraid to try something no one else has, either. I've done that several times and been pleasantly surprised with the results.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce