Finally got my FS2000 in

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
Visceral_Malice

Finally got my FS2000 in

Post by Visceral_Malice » 16 Feb 2011, 11:44

http://flic.kr/p/9iGvV4
(having problems embedding images so here's the flickr link)

There she is. After being delayed over a week thanks to all the snow recently I got it in last Wednesday and remembered why I fell in love with it the first time I held it. I lucked up and my dealer was kind enough to swap me a mag for free for the FN mag that I have heard gives so many of you problems.

Also, the few complaints I've heard about this platform repeatedly, I am failing to understand. First off, the trigger. I have yet to get to take it to the range (will be tomorrow) but I have been playing with it pretty much non-stop. I don't see this issue personally. Saying that, I'm not exactly a connoisseur of triggers, but I don't really get the plasticy, tough trigger pull everyone rants about. Then again, I shoot a Taurus 24/7 .45 that has one of the weirdest/squishiest trigger pulls ever and I have no issue with that either.

The other point is inserting mags. No issue with that either. It doesn't seem that difficult to know when its all the way in. I usually hit my mags from the bottom anyway and I hear the audible click.

That's just my opinion on those, though. I guess if you are expecting an AR then you would be a little troubled. But seriously, I love this damned gun. I am so excited to go break it in tomorrow. I got the standard because I wanted an optic right out of the box and planned to upgrade it eventually, but so far I like it so much I don't know if I'll change it. Hopefully I'll have a good range report of my experiences with it tomorrow for you guys. I'll try to take lots of pictures especially since I'm going to take my girlfriend and get her to shoot it. :thumb:

tombirdman

Re: Finally got my FS2000 in

Post by tombirdman » 16 Feb 2011, 12:33

Visceral_Malice wrote:http://flic.kr/p/9iGvV4
(having problems embedding images so here's the flickr link)

There she is. After being delayed over a week thanks to all the snow recently I got it in last Wednesday and remembered why I fell in love with it the first time I held it. I lucked up and my dealer was kind enough to swap me a mag for free for the FN mag that I have heard gives so many of you problems.

Also, the few complaints I've heard about this platform repeatedly, I am failing to understand. First off, the trigger. I have yet to get to take it to the range (will be tomorrow) but I have been playing with it pretty much non-stop. I don't see this issue personally. Saying that, I'm not exactly a connoisseur of triggers, but I don't really get the plasticy, tough trigger pull everyone rants about. Then again, I shoot a Taurus 24/7 .45 that has one of the weirdest/squishiest trigger pulls ever and I have no issue with that either.

The other point is inserting mags. No issue with that either. It doesn't seem that difficult to know when its all the way in. I usually hit my mags from the bottom anyway and I hear the audible click.

That's just my opinion on those, though. I guess if you are expecting an AR then you would be a little troubled. But seriously, I love this damned gun. I am so excited to go break it in tomorrow. I got the standard because I wanted an optic right out of the box and planned to upgrade it eventually, but so far I like it so much I don't know if I'll change it. Hopefully I'll have a good range report of my experiences with it tomorrow for you guys. I'll try to take lots of pictures especially since I'm going to take my girlfriend and get her to shoot it. :thumb:

I like mine too. If you treat it right, it wil treat you right.
It is a nice bullpup. Not comparable to anything else. It is what it is. I like it but don't try to compare it to anything else.
Different theory and philosophy. Either you like it or don't.

I likee !

Here is a picture of mine.
double click to enlarge.

3. Just another bullpup I like.

Have a nice day !

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Feb 2011, 13:09

Great stuff! Let us know how she shoots!!!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 17 Feb 2011, 20:21

Flickr is a bit different to embed. On each photo page there is 'share this' button. Click that button and then the 'grab the html/bbcode' option. Click the bbcode radio button, select your size and then copy/paste the code from the little window above it into your post.

IMAG0017 by Visceral_Malice, on Flickr
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Feb 2011, 21:13

Ooooooo, space gun version :laugh:

I was kinda wishing I had gone that route but the tactical works too. :thumb:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Visceral_Malice

Re: Finally got my FS200 in

Post by Visceral_Malice » 27 Feb 2011, 15:08

Ok guys, I've been to the range with it about 3 times now and I need some help. The first time I took it out I hadn't thoroughly cleaned my gas tube so I had a lot of issued with failure to cycle. Since I have cleaned the hell out of it and tried again. Here's my issue: Factory ammo is cycling just fine, but I'm having issues with my reloads cycling.

I have run around 200 of my reloads through it and I have to shoot on the "adverse conditions" gas setting. I'm not sure what's going on because the reloads cycle perfectly in my M4 and unfortunately every free day I have is too hazy for my chrono, so I'm not sure what kind of speeds I'm getting. I'm not sure if any of you guys here reload .233's, but I'll list my setup. I'm loading mostly 50grain Hornady V-Max with 22 grains of Hodgdon H4198 at 1.200" with Winchester small rifle primers. I've done some 62 grain fmj's also at 20 grains of H4198 at 1.210" and same primers. For some reason, these are max loads by the way, its not generating enough gas pressure to cycle the bolt in the FS2000 on the normal gas setting.

Anyone else have this problem or now why the FS2000 bolt would be so difficult for my ammo to make it cycle? I'm at a loss and its very discouraging. Otherwise I'm loving this gun and it's a blast to shoot. Any help is appreciated.

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 28 Feb 2011, 09:45

Visceral_Malice wrote:Ok guys, I've been to the range with it about 3 times now and I need some help. The first time I took it out I hadn't thoroughly cleaned my gas tube so I had a lot of issued with failure to cycle. Since I have cleaned the hell out of it and tried again. Here's my issue: Factory ammo is cycling just fine, but I'm having issues with my reloads cycling.

I have run around 200 of my reloads through it and I have to shoot on the "adverse conditions" gas setting. I'm not sure what's going on because the reloads cycle perfectly in my M4 and unfortunately every free day I have is too hazy for my chrono, so I'm not sure what kind of speeds I'm getting. I'm not sure if any of you guys here reload .233's, but I'll list my setup. I'm loading mostly 50grain Hornady V-Max with 22 grains of Hodgdon H4198 at 1.200" with Winchester small rifle primers. I've done some 62 grain fmj's also at 20 grains of H4198 at 1.210" and same primers. For some reason, these are max loads by the way, its not generating enough gas pressure to cycle the bolt in the FS2000 on the normal gas setting.

Anyone else have this problem or now why the FS2000 bolt would be so difficult for my ammo to make it cycle? I'm at a loss and its very discouraging. Otherwise I'm loving this gun and it's a blast to shoot. Any help is appreciated.
Make sure your piston is clean, etc... That may be a problem, who knows...

I had success with mine shooting on both normal and adverse with 25grs of H322 and a 50 grain ballistic tip loaded to max mag length. This load generates more pressure than your load and may be the reason it worked.

Also consider using IMR 8208 XBR - Its my favorite in the 223 - I run 25grs with a 55 fmj and it works great

I also have a bunch of hotter loads with 26 grs of 8208 XBR and a 55 fmj that I use in colder conditions but havent seen any problems when i tested it in warm conditions - having said that this load is over the book "max", so work up to it slowly for safety reasons.

And also, there is not problem running the gun on "Adverse" setting - It just lest more gas into the piston - and since it is a piston system, no gases get blown back into the receiver area anyway, so the "adverse" setting is really the best to use anyway. Thats where I would leave it indefinitely until i attached a supressor or was trying to acheive some other goal....

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 02 Mar 2011, 19:55

Thanks for the reply iFire. Yeah, I keep my piston well scrubbed. Actually my whole gun because I'm exceptionally ocd about my firearms being clean. I'm pretty sure my powder selection is causing the issue being that h4198 is made for light bullets. I'm probably going pick up some new powder tomorrow and try one of your suggestions.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 07 Mar 2011, 17:01

I returned to the range today with 100 rounds loaded with my new H355 powder and I got 100 perfectly cycled shots. Apparently the H4198 I was using just burned to slowly and is only really useful in 40gr or below bullets.

I had some 62gr FMJ's and I loaded 50 up with 24gr and the other 50 with 24.5gr and was getting pretty good accuracy on the 24.5. I'll probably bump it up to 24.8 and 25 on my next loads. I also had the chance to chrono and coming out of my fs2000 the 24.5gr were traveling about 2850 ft/sec which is around where I wanted it.

As for the gun itself; I love shooting this thing. I had heard it kicked like a .22 and I would have to agree. It actually feels less like recoil and is more like the gun just shakes every shot. I was punching holes in the same spots at 50 yards without ever adjusting the scope and I was getting about 200 ft/sec faster bullet speeds than with my m4. The forward ejection is so wonderful for finding brass. Unlike my AR, I don't have to spend time hunting down my spent brass; they are all at my feet.

Thanks again iFire. Your tips actually helped me fix my reload problems I was having with my .45 pistol as well. Somehow I managed to buy rifle and pistol powders that were completely wrong for the bullets I was using.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 07 Mar 2011, 17:32

I have never seen one in person, will someone tell me where the fired casings go.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Mar 2011, 17:45

swe123 wrote:I have never seen one in person, will someone tell me where the fired casings go.
They are ejected directly above the chamber & in line with the barrel. The white clip thing keeps the shells from coming back into the chamber area & jamming the next spent shell. Forget the red arrows, those are for the wiki write up I did.

Anyway, the spent shells travel lengthwise down the barrel & are ejected up front on the right side. You can see the door just under the sling attachment in this pic w/index.php?title=Image:Post_range.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 07 Mar 2011, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Mar 2011, 18:04

Just like the RFB, DW :)
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Mar 2011, 18:06

hm... from what I gather the bbl length is 1.44 longer than the M4's, how'd you get such a substantial 200 fps increase?
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Mar 2011, 18:13

Rapier, I fixed the link! Thanks for pointing it out!
Shoot more, worry less.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 07 Mar 2011, 19:38

Well the actual barrel on my M4 is 14.5" with a 1.5" permanently attached flash hider to make it legal length. Is the actual barrel on the FS200 17.44" or is that including the compensator? I was assuming it was the actual barrel length, so I didn't think it was that crazy with almost a 3" difference.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. That may be prove to be worry some is my M4 is losing pressure for some reason.

User42

Post by User42 » 07 Mar 2011, 20:37

I admit I haven't read the entire thread because reloading info isn't useful to me at the moment, but I wanted to chime in. I took my piston apart and cleaned it good once when I first got it, and never opened it again. I spray some CLP in the exhaust port and let it drain out every once in awhile, and have never had any problems. I was under the impression pistons tend to clean themselves through the action of it cycling, I think I may have read that about AK's, but I figured it made sense for the FS2000 as well. Anyone think my gun will foul up and not cycle eventually? I have about 600 rounds through it so far.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Mar 2011, 21:03

600 is an very low round count. Testing the FS will never hurt it; after 2000-3000 rounds, take it apart and check the fouling. This will give you a much better idea of how well the piston will hold up.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it much.
Shoot more, worry less.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 08 Mar 2011, 18:05

So, I measured the FS2000 barrel and its 16" actual barrel and 1.44" of compensator, so I'm not sure why I had such a substantial pressure drop in my M4. I guess being its a Bushmaster, its not the highest of quality and the FS2000 likely has a better chamber, etc. That's my assumption at the moment until further testing.

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 27 Mar 2011, 09:22

Visceral_Malice wrote:So, I measured the FS2000 barrel and its 16" actual barrel and 1.44" of compensator, so I'm not sure why I had such a substantial pressure drop in my M4. I guess being its a Bushmaster, its not the highest of quality and the FS2000 likely has a better chamber, etc. That's my assumption at the moment until further testing.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Don't sell the Bushmaster short. It is one of the better ARs.
Mine is an older one that I had redone. I have a short barrel with a long flash hider which makes it legal. Bushmaster has always treated me right. They have some pretty important contract with the goverment.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 27 Mar 2011, 09:31

Well I thought it was an issue with my specific m4 not Bushmaster in general. After more extensive chronographing I've come to realize there is no issue. The difference in velocity is actually only about 50 fps.