INITIATIVE. Where have you gone?

General discussion.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

INITIATIVE. Where have you gone?

Post by blueorison » 29 Dec 2010, 19:14

This is quite the abstract of what I've been wanting to say for the longest time.

I wish I had a disease called committal. Called initiative.

It seems there are SO many firearm owners that lack initiative. To honestly put a percentage on it, I'd say 80% of them are so lackluster and backburner-intensive.

What happened to a "let's do it!" attitude that got them jumping off their football couches and loading benches to get more involved?

It's always an excuse, like, "I've always wanted to do that..." etc.

I can't stand it anymore. People need a jolt in their spine.

Take the example of Fuzzy's postal match. Here we have someone who has taken initiative and wants to further improve the shooting skills and participation here on the forum. He has even incorporated a reward, lest the perceived intrinsic gain is negligible. Yet, how many of us have entered this competition to show our support? I got a message from him today, that said he has received 0 entries.

Sure, I understand we have many things on our hands, some of us are even overseas fighting for our freedom. But for those of us that are sitting on our buttocks this very moment, did we even try to do the contest? Were we being fearful? That we would look "bad" in front of... well... WHO?! No one! I sent my target in and even I admit it sucks.

Is it just a Texas thing to get involved and SUPPORT? Honestly?! How many of us have donated to charity events and funding set up on this forum? Let me be more specific, how many of YOU say you "support the troops" and do NOTHING toward that notion of a "good idea"? How many of YOU should be like some on this forum, mothers, fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers that STILL understand what it is to be AMERICAN and send part of their paychecks to the troops to help them buy batteries for their NVG's and equipment or a Godsmack CD to play in their humvee as they roll down the street with the A/C off?

Lisa has set up a page that contains the links to organizations that support our men & women in uniform that YOU say you "support". How many of you scrolled by it, swallowing your conscience so that you were able to grasp the hope of forgetting you ever saw the post?

Oh, that's right. There are 202 views. FYI, seeing is not doing.

Here is the link.

http://www.eliteammunition.net/thank_a_soldier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GO SUPPORT. Gain initiative. Don't listen to Nike's "Just Do it". Do it because you know it's the right thing and that it needs to be done. Did you buy some ammunition for your pistol? How about you forego the extra box and just put that money into one of the organizations. Be the better person, for the first time in a while.

Next.

On the same topic of supporting our troops; I recently had a conversation with one of my tactical-oriented acquaintances. He was trying to educate me upon the fact that he "supported the troops" by purchasing products from places like LaRue Tactical or Magpul, and companies that sent part of the payment to the troops. Enraged would have been a subtle abstract describing my countenance.

YOU FREAKIN IDIOT. This has NOTHING and NO CONSIDERATION in relation to YOU ACTIVELY supporting the troops. This is simply YOU wanting SOMETHING and YOU ordering that something to get WHAT YOU WANT. The fact that they do support the troops is a kudos on THEIR part, not YOURS. You wanted that kit, that gear, that gun, don't even tell me you would have not bought it if there wasn't a "we support the troops with part of the proceeds" sign on their site, because you would have either way. That was cute; that lighthearted attempt at trying to make yourself feel better.

Next.

You all know we have a great forum here, yet so many do SO little to upkeep that level of legitness. Lately we have a member doing the latest media testing with ballistic armor and glass; that's exactly the kind of data points that keeps the forum on a lividly intense level above all the other forums and sites. Box 'O Truth, Brassfetcher, etc.

They came about by COMMITMENT. By taking initiative. NOT by leeching. NOT by lurking.

There are much too many lurkers here that do not contribute. How about you give back to the forum, for a change? Have you forgotten that little tidbit of information that aided you greatly? Sure, it was rather convenient and simple to access that information through a quick search of the forum. But how much time and energy did it save you? I know not all of us have nice ranges to attend or the time and resources to do the level of testing some of us do. But if you use these excuses to prevent you from taking initiative, you have just freely given up the chance to do something EPIC.

Do you think all these great products from EA, FNH, and the gear associated with their products came from sheer genius? Many started from a simple tinkering here, meddling there. Hey, no one said you had to go out and buy a reloading kit and share your information. But Grantness did. Hobknob did. ForestFire did. And we (YOU) gained from the information they shared. I don't reload; however, reading about the pressure characteristics in their posts have imparted a sheer lucidity of the reality of 5.7 pressure dangers in the cartridge.

Perhaps you could start small; the next time a newbie asks a question to which you clearly and immediately know the answer, sign in and PROVIDE them the answer, instead of closing the tab and waiting for a "regular" to come by and help them. Unless you are satisfied with your corpulent nature, then just sit back and be an armchair, passive, cahone-less convalescent LOSER.

Solution cerebral.

I hope I didn't step on toes.

Blue out.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: INITIATIVE. Where have you gone?

Post by f3rr37 » 29 Dec 2010, 19:31

Great post blue, I didn't know you were serious about writing a paper about this when you mentioned it in your PM. :laugh:

And to get the ball rolling, I challenge someone to make a larger donation.
12/29/2010 10:26:09 PM

Dear Jake ######,

Thank you for your generous donation to Wounded Warrior Project. Your gift enables us to provide comfort and aid to the wounded and families in need.

Your information is as follows.

Your Information

Name: Jake ######
Address: ######################
################
Email: ######.####@#####.###
Phone:

Payment Information

Payment ID: #####
Payment Type: CREDIT
Payment Date: 12/29/2010 10:26:09 PM
Donation Amount: $10.00

Wounded Warrior Project is a public charity as described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Your gifts are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.

Thank you again,

Wounded Warrior Project

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 29 Dec 2010, 19:32

Wintertime. Bad weather and work means I don't get to go to the range.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 29 Dec 2010, 19:36

blueorison wrote:This is quite the abstract of what I've been wanting to say for the longest time.

I wish I had a disease called committal. Called initiative.

It seems there are SO many firearm owners that lack initiative. To honestly put a percentage on it, I'd say 80% of them are so lackluster and backburner-intensive.

What happened to a "let's do it!" attitude that got them jumping off their football coaches and loading benches to get more involved?

It's always an excuse, like, "I've always wanted to do that..." etc.

I can't stand it anymore. People need a jolt in their spine.

Take the example of Fuzzy's postal match. Here we have someone who has taken initiative and wants to further improve the shooting skills and participation here on the forum. He has even incorporated a reward, lest the perceived intrinsic gain is negligible. Yet, how many of us have entered this competition to show our support? I got a message from him today, that said he has received 0 entries.

Sure, I understand we have many things on our hands, some of us are even overseas fighting for our freedom. But for those of us that are sitting on our buttocks this very moment, did we even try to do the contest? Were we being fearful? That we would look "bad" in front of... well... WHO?! No one! I sent my target in and even I admit it sucks.

Is it just a Texas thing to get involved and SUPPORT? Honestly?! How many of us have donated to charity events and funding set up on this forum? Let me be more specific, how many of YOU say you "support the troops" and do NOTHING toward that notion of a "good idea"? How many of YOU should be like some on this forum, mothers, fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers that STILL understand what it is to be AMERICAN and send part of their paychecks to the troops to help them buy batteries for their NVG's and equipment or a Godsmack CD to play in their humvee as they roll down the street with the A/C off?

Lisa has set up a page that contains the links to organizations that support our men & women in uniform that YOU say you "support". How many of you scrolled by it, swallowing your conscience so that you were able to grasp the hope of forgetting you ever saw the post?

Oh, that's right. There are 202 views. FYI, seeing is not doing.

Here is the link.

http://www.eliteammunition.net/thank_a_soldier.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GO SUPPORT. Gain initiative. Don't listen to Nike's "Just Do it". Do it because you know it's the right thing and that it needs to be done. Did you buy some ammunition for your pistol? How about you forego the extra box and just put that money into one of the organizations. Be the better person, for the first time in a while.

Next.

On the same topic of supporting our troops; I recently had a conversation with one of my tactical-oriented acquaintances. He was trying to educate me upon the fact that he "supported the troops" by purchasing products from places like LaRue Tactical or Magpul, and companies that sent part of the payment to the troops. Enraged would have been a subtle abstract describing my countenance.

YOU FREAKIN IDIOT. This has NOTHING and NO CONSIDERATION in relation to YOU ACTIVELY supporting the troops. This is simply YOU wanting SOMETHING and YOU ordering that something to get WHAT YOU WANT. The fact that they do support the troops is a kudos on THEIR part, not YOURS. You wanted that kit, that gear, that gun, don't even tell me you would have not bought it if there wasn't a "we support the troops with part of the proceeds" sign on their site, because you would have either way. That was cute; that lighthearted attempt at trying to make yourself feel better.

Next.

You all know we have a great forum here, yet so many do SO little to upkeep that level of legitness. Lately we have a member doing the latest media testing with ballistic armor and glass; that's exactly the kind of data points that keeps the forum on a lividly intense level above all the other forums and sites. Box 'O Truth, Brassfetcher, etc.

They came about by COMMITMENT. By taking initiative. NOT by leeching. NOT by lurking.

There are much too many lurkers here that do not contribute. How about you give back to the forum, for a change? Have you forgotten that little tidbit of information that aided you greatly? Sure, it was rather convenient and simple to access that information through a quick search of the forum. But how much time and energy did it save you? I know not all of us have nice ranges to attend or the time and resources to do the level of testing some of us do. But if you use these excuses to prevent you from taking initiative, you have just freely given up the chance to do something EPIC.

Do you think all these great products from EA, FNH, and the gear associated with their products came from sheer genius? Many started from a simple tinkering here, meddling there. Hey, no one said you had to go out and buy a reloading kit and share your information. But Grantness did. Hobknob did. ForestFire did. And we (YOU) gained from the information they shared. I don't reload; however, reading about the pressure characteristics in their posts have imparted a sheer lucidity of the reality of 5.7 pressure dangers in the cartridge.

Perhaps you could start small; the next time a newbie asks a question to which you clearly and immediately know the answer, sign in and PROVIDE them the answer, instead of closing the tab and waiting for a "regular" to come by and help them. Unless you are satisfied with your corpulent nature, then just sit back and be an armchair, passive, cahone-less convalescent LOSER.

Solution cerebral.

I hope I didn't step on toes.

Blue out.
:agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Dec 2010, 20:53

Fuzzy.

You're sneaky. I'd locked this post. I like your post.

:)
Shoot more, worry less.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 29 Dec 2010, 21:22

Blue,

Your rant was interesting, but rambling. I'm not sure whether you are urging people to just "do something", contribute to your charities, purchase more ammo, shoot more, write on this forum more, or...just what? "Initiative" and "contribute" take many different forms. People's lives have many facets, and usually only one of those glints to the fivesevenforum. The people you criticize may be making major contributions in their work or to their families, or both. The initiative you assert people don't have have may be directed towards running their business, fixing their car, remodeling their kitchen and a myriad of other endeavors that take their time and physical and mental energies. Your criticism that answering questions is left to the "regulars" may be answered by asking "who is best qualified to answer the question?" Someone who has plowed the early ground in the development of new loads, or someone who just joined the Forum and is unsure even about how to clean a 5.7x28 cartridge case or whether to swage the pocket primers? Many of us look to the "regulars" as teachers because they have superior experience and the knowledge. If you are curious about any topic at your school, who do you listen to and believe: the professor or the fella' sitting next to you trying to crib off your notes? If you get tired of being one of the first to reply to a post, back off and wait. Someone will.

Another reason that people are somewhat timid about contributing is that, frequently, someone who posts an honest question or makes an erroneous statement is ragged to to the point of bleeding by some of those very same regulars. And the immaturity demonstrated time after time on this forum is sure to take any thread off topic in a only a matter of a couple of replies to the original post.

I personally contribute money to causes I support, and there are many groups doing the same work. I also contribute to this Forum, when I think I have something to contribute, and money here to (what I consider) worthy efforts. But I tend to not jump on every post with some I-think-it's-witty reply. I have taken "initiative" in my profession (physics) and I have several patents. And "initiative" in many other ways, as well. I don't think, however, that gives me license to give advice to newcomers on what 5.7 loads are best.

My suggestion is that you get off whatever it is that caused you to go off and realize that the world is made of many different peoples, most of whom do have initiative and do contribute, albeit in ways that may not be visible to you.

User42

Post by User42 » 29 Dec 2010, 21:32

Support the troops? Are you still supposed to do that even if you are the troops?
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 29 Dec 2010, 23:44

Delivery could have been better but the troops shouldn't suffer for it...donation made to Wounded Warriors.

69ranchero351c

Post by 69ranchero351c » 30 Dec 2010, 04:50

I support the troops everyday when i come to work by fixin there broke ass vehicles lol. whoever thought biodiesel was the way to go is a idiot, #1 problem we have especially now its cold as hell.

but i do support them i pitch in for their going aways, barbecues for no reason except to have one, stripe fund and whatever else we do. if they need help on the side with getting there car fixed, i charge them 35 a hour where i usually charge 50 hour to work on other peoples cars. hell this whole last 6 months i was getting calls from afganistan for help on fixing a truck and they were not always while i was at work. thank god he just got back last week, no more of that.

i'm going to finish off that ballistic glass with my AK to see how much more it can take but the snow has to go away and get warm first. lol

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Dec 2010, 12:31

ddouglas wrote:Blue,

Your rant was interesting, but rambling. I'm not sure whether you are urging people to just "do something", contribute to your charities, purchase more ammo, shoot more, write on this forum more, or...just what? "Initiative" and "contribute" take many different forms. People's lives have many facets, and usually only one of those glints to the fivesevenforum. The people you criticize may be making major contributions in their work or to their families, or both. The initiative you assert people don't have have may be directed towards running their business, fixing their car, remodeling their kitchen and a myriad of other endeavors that take their time and physical and mental energies. Your criticism that answering questions is left to the "regulars" may be answered by asking "who is best qualified to answer the question?" Someone who has plowed the early ground in the development of new loads, or someone who just joined the Forum and is unsure even about how to clean a 5.7x28 cartridge case or whether to swage the pocket primers? Many of us look to the "regulars" as teachers because they have superior experience and the knowledge. If you are curious about any topic at your school, who do you listen to and believe: the professor or the fella' sitting next to you trying to crib off your notes? If you get tired of being one of the first to reply to a post, back off and wait. Someone will.

Another reason that people are somewhat timid about contributing is that, frequently, someone who posts an honest question or makes an erroneous statement is ragged to to the point of bleeding by some of those very same regulars. And the immaturity demonstrated time after time on this forum is sure to take any thread off topic in a only a matter of a couple of replies to the original post.

I personally contribute money to causes I support, and there are many groups doing the same work. I also contribute to this Forum, when I think I have something to contribute, and money here to (what I consider) worthy efforts. But I tend to not jump on every post with some I-think-it's-witty reply. I have taken "initiative" in my profession (physics) and I have several patents. And "initiative" in many other ways, as well. I don't think, however, that gives me license to give advice to newcomers on what 5.7 loads are best.

My suggestion is that you get off whatever it is that caused you to go off and realize that the world is made of many different peoples, most of whom do have initiative and do contribute, albeit in ways that may not be visible to you.
ddouglas, I was speaking to those without proper initiative. Hence my allusion to those who are sitting idle. Initiative need not be blind, nor was I intending to suggest any blind surge of activity. Initiative can be a very small gesture, as outlined in my writing.

As for those that are hypercritical and jump-the-gun at those who make mistakes, the moderators, namely Fuzzy, have repeatedly declared that this would not be tolerated. There is a change that governs the way people interact here on the forum, and I believe it is heading in the right direction. There is much less criticism and contention over what is all-but-unnecessary. I think the recent discussions on a firearm owner's right to own what he will and create firearms to the mode of his liking have been very progressive and enlightening to all that have been following the threads.

I am guilty in the past of being slightly brash with newcomers who post questions with no regard to trying to find the answers themselves. Instead of abrupt phrases such as "Did you try the search function", I now inject a more congenial and sympathetic reply, very often with links to threads answering their questions. Many other members have been replying this way in the past. Perhaps taking that bit of initiative has been helpful to the newer members.

Please take my post within context; I am not simply critiquing the general public. Just those firearm owners that take no initiative. The examples given were contextual and although they correlate to my post, they do not imply that the lack of participation in the aforementioned activities was a product of certain causation. In that, if you were not a lackluster component of the forum, the post was not directed towards you :)

I am sad that you think my post was rambling when I applied effort to be concise. These are not "my" charities, further. They are charities that are set up by caring individuals for the betterment of our society and the care of our men and women overseas and at home. "The people that you criticize may be making major contributions in their work of to their families, or both"; as before, I was only speaking to those lacking initiative. You may presume that I entirely understood the concept of family and commitments outside the firearm world when I was typing my post.

Your insight into those who wait for "regulars" to post holds merit. But there are so many questions that are not as risky to answer, such as, "Does blackhawk supply a holster for the FsN?" that many lurkers are quite able to answer and do not. I was speaking of that level of inquisition, nothing higher.

I was not pleading with anyone to "jump on every post with some I-think-it's-witty-reply". I was requesting initiative to be a more solid player where possible; where previously opportunities to graduate to a better team-player were left unspoken for and unheeded.

I wholeheartedly embrace your initiative in getting your work patented. That is quite admirable.

Somehow, I would have hypothesized that people would have realized I do not think the world is one-dimensional and that it is, in fact, composed of "many different peoples". I applaud those who contribute. This post was directed to those who purposely miss their opportunities to do so. I receive your suggestion to "get off whatever it is that caused [me] to go off" and respectfully decline such a departure. Respectfully.
Shoot more, worry less.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 30 Dec 2010, 22:21

User42 wrote:Support the troops? Are you still supposed to do that even if you are the troops?
Then get off your duff and get yourself a beer. :lmao:
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 07 Jan 2011, 15:55

f3rr37 wrote:Great post blue, I didn't know you were serious about writing a paper about this when you mentioned it in your PM. :laugh:

Dear Jake ######,

Thank you for your generous donation to Wounded Warrior Project. Your gift enables us to provide comfort and aid to the wounded and families in need.

Your Information

################
Phone:

Payment Information

Wounded Warrior Project is a public charity as described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Your gifts are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.

Thank you again,

Wounded Warrior Project
Hey Fuzzy, I took your challenge not to one up you but to be a part of the answer and not a sideliner. Thanks for your contribution and to you Blue also. I also felt compelled to donate to Elite Ammunition/Team USO. Every little bit helps.

Dear Brian XXXXX,

Your Information

Name: Brian XXXXX
Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Phone:

Payment Information

Payment ID:XXXXX
Payment Date: 1/7/2011 6:46:28 PM
Donation Amount: $50.00

Thank you again,

Wounded Warrior Project
:patriot:
Last edited by CenCalSplicer on 07 Jan 2011, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

ryr8828

Post by ryr8828 » 07 Jan 2011, 16:07

We can't even get gun owners to go out and vote for 2A supporters.

Let's start there and then make our way to target matches.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 07 Jan 2011, 23:42

Nicely done CenCalSplicer... now who's going to up the ante? :)

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 08 Jan 2011, 11:20

When we were Xmas shopping at the AFB, the OK Chapter of Wounded Warriors had a table set up at the BX and were selling t-shirts. They were like $15 or $20 a pop. They could only put out the less 'offensive' t-shirts (Major League Infidel wasn't allowed for whatever reason).
I bought two shirts to give out for Xmas and 'paid' with a c-note. The rest went as a donation.
I got a card from him so we could add them to our state causes.
I guess we're a bit different than other folk. I like knowing that our money goes to causes a little bit closer to home.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 05 Apr 2011, 21:52

Fly, Brian, ya'll are awesome examples we should follow. I think my donation also went to the WW Program, on EA's USO page.
Shoot more, worry less.

M1P90
Forum Supporter

Post by M1P90 » 06 Apr 2011, 03:32

:thumb: Nicely done everyone. We should walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
I donate monthly to The Wounded Warrior Project, Adopt A Platoon, DAV and Operation Care Package. God Bless our Troops and keep them safe!

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
http://www.M1bullpup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 06 Apr 2011, 04:03

Blue :clap: and I thought you just surfed youtube all day :lmao:. That was like the baseball player that always hit left field then all of the sudden....Wham....Over the fence, center field :thumb: Well said sir!

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 06 Apr 2011, 09:14

CenCalSplicer wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:Great post blue, I didn't know you were serious about writing a paper about this when you mentioned it in your PM. :laugh:

Dear Jake ######,

Your Information

################
Phone:

Payment Information

Thank you again,

Wounded Warrior Project
Hey Fuzzy, I took your challenge not to one up you but to be a part of the answer and not a sideliner. Thanks for your contribution and to you Blue also. I also felt compelled to donate to Elite Ammunition/Team USO. Every little bit helps.

Dear Brian XXXXX,

Your Information

Name: Brian XXXXX
Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Phone:

Payment Information

Payment ID:XXXXX
Payment Date: 1/7/2011 6:46:28 PM
Donation Amount: $50.00

Thank you again,

Wounded Warrior Project
:patriot:

I take your donations Fuzzy and CenCalSplicer and raise the bar to $75, whos gonna top me? :p

4/6/2011 1:08:19 PM EST

Dear Ian McCranie,

Your Information

Name: Ian McCranie
Address: XXXXXX
Barksdale AFB, LA 71110
Email: XXXXXXXXX
Phone: XXXXXXXXX

Payment Information

Payment ID: XXXXXX
Payment Type: XXXXX
Payment Date: 4/6/2011 1:08:19 PM EST
Donation Amount: $75.00

Thank you again,

Wounded Warrior Project
Last edited by firestorm248 on 06 Apr 2011, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 06 Apr 2011, 09:18

Nicely done sir!