The theft is of copyrighted intellectual property

General discussion.
Varmiter

The theft is of copyrighted intellectual property

Post by Varmiter » 03 Mar 2010, 11:35

Hi Folks,

Since guns are such a hot topic in the news, we quite often spot an article that we would like to share.

It is NOT a good idea to copy and paste an entire article. The accepted protocol is to paste a paragraph from the article followed by a link to the entire article. The reason is the article is copyrighted, and the number of hits on the article usually determines how much the writer is paid for his work.

Something like this:
By Ed O'Keefe
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The U.S. Postal Service will release projections Tuesday that confirm for the first time the suspicion that mail volume will never return to pre-recession levels. In response, the agency is pushing anew for a dramatic reshaping of how Americans get and send their letters and packages.

Entire article here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03452.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By all means, make any comments, but just do NOT paste the entire article. Also, staff writers and news organizations use some pretty good search engines and when they find this, the owner of the site often gets a nasty “Cease and Desist” note. The OP will most likely not get into trouble. It will be the site owner.

The following is a classic example of stolen copyrighted material by a professional site. Sites such as this are opening themselves up to legal problems.

This article was “Stolen” from the National Gun Rights Examiner - David Codrea.
http://mikechamberslive.com/?p=5456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This theft is of copyrighted intellectual property is in the beginning stages of legal action.

Please, let try to keep this site out of trouble.

Chris

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: The theft is of copyrighted intellectual property

Post by f3rr37 » 03 Mar 2010, 12:01

Thanks Chris,

As noted in the Forum rules:

12) All information placed on this site remains the property of the author. The FiveseveN Forum, Kronos Management, and the owners of the forum accept no liability for information posted here; nor are they responsible to ensure the accuracy of any information posted. The Moderators, Administrators, and Owners reserve the right to edit posts for content, to protect copyrights, and to comply with court orders. Members are not to remove, alter, destroy, or in any other way transmit from this site any post, picture, profile ,etc. without the express prior permission of the owner of this information. Basically said, if you didn't put it here, you may not remove, or copy it without permission.

----
While we try our best to protect copyrights, our policy is that posts are the property of the post author and it the author who is responsible for liable for his/her post(s) and their contents.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 03 Mar 2010, 12:48

I didn't realize that authors were paid per number of 'hits'.
Makes sense though to post the opening article and link knowing that now.
Thanks for the heads up! :thumb:
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Varmiter

Post by Varmiter » 03 Mar 2010, 12:52

Jake,

Yes I was/am aware of the forum rules. But as we all know, many don’t really bother with the finer points, or possibly never read them.

While the rules basically are a disclaimer for the site, if violations of copyright are allowed and remain unedited, then a disclaimer or not, the forum owner could easily face problems. So the Mods need to be on their toes and edit such posts to keep everyone out of trouble. If this forum, or any other forum allows this practice, disclaimer or not, infers the forum is condoning the practice.

The general membership are not out to steal intellectual property. They sometimes inadvertently do it without knowing. That’s where the Mods come in, and possibly tidy up a very good post thereby watching out for everybody’s backside.

I admit that I'm also guilty of this. It is only since I entered into the publishing arena that I became aware of what I had done in the past.

Chris

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 03 Mar 2010, 14:27

Thanks for all the info Chris.

wetwrks

Post by wetwrks » 03 Mar 2010, 15:26

Interresting

On Tom Bowers site the members and such pretty much demand a copy of the entire article so one doesn't have to click the link.

I'll keep it in mind here. :)

Varmiter

Post by Varmiter » 03 Mar 2010, 15:42

Interesting.

The opening page of his site, he claims copyright. ..... hummmm......I smell....ummm.....what's the word?....

Chris

Kerberos

Post by Kerberos » 03 Mar 2010, 15:44

Varmiter, out of curiosity, why do you have such an interest in this "copyright" thing? I do appreciate the info regarding the statement that an author gets paid based on the number of hits. I will certainly take that into account in the future :thumb:
"...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 03 Mar 2010, 15:57

For the most part here, you'll see just the 'grab ya' bits of interest then a link.....it's too darn painfull to read an entire article in this format.
The few times I have seen a complete story, the first three replies say "That there was A LOT of words!"

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 03 Mar 2010, 16:54

Thanks Chris, like others I am guilty and will now pay more attention to how I post. I for one do not want the forum to be entered into any legal hassles to to my ignorance. Good looking out. :clap:

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 03 Mar 2010, 17:49

Yeah, thanks for the quicky education . . . much appreciated! :thumb:
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later - 5Jeffro7

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 03 Mar 2010, 19:18

I know I have cut and pasted from the retired troopers listserve, which does the same with news from all the news outlets. Thanks for the headsup. I should have considered it insofar as the FOP journal I edit is protected intellectual property and very careful re these matters. Guess we all feel too comfortable here amongst friends and let our hair down--only I don't have any left to let down. Thanks for the post.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

User42

Post by User42 » 04 Mar 2010, 10:39

I find it annoying to have to click a link when I could just read a cut and pasted article, but I can see how people want to know how many people read it. To tell the truth 90% of the time I won't click a link, just for whatever advertisements and crap they try to throw at me.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 04 Mar 2010, 13:24

I'd be willing to hit more links if there wasn't popups & tons of stupid ads on their website. I find it much easier to just read the copy & pasted link.

But to your argument, I don't see it was theft as long as the article isn't being claimed as ones own work, and it is cited to the original author.