Electroless nickel plating

General discussion.
Kiran04

Electroless nickel plating

Post by Kiran04 » 30 Mar 2016, 17:56

Anyone tried it? I'm thinking of trying to apply some to one of my bolt carriers and seeing how it goes. I know it will add a layer of metal on top of the carrier, so it will be bigger than originally and might not fit anymore. Anyone have any input on the subject?

DoubleJ

Re: Electroless nickel plating

Post by DoubleJ » 31 Mar 2016, 04:02

I've been pretty much buying every new fancy coating on every new bolt/carrier I buy for my AR. Haven't tried to apply anything myself, but so far NiB is the winner hands down, so long as the company knows what they're doing with it. I'm still on the fence about NP3 and Ferric Nitrocarbuization (spelled terribly I'm sure) as I haven't had time to put them through their paces. How much thickness does the process add?

Kiran04

Post by Kiran04 » 31 Mar 2016, 07:49

DoubleJ wrote:I've been pretty much buying every new fancy coating on every new bolt/carrier I buy for my AR. Haven't tried to apply anything myself, but so far NiB is the winner hands down, so long as the company knows what they're doing with it. I'm still on the fence about NP3 and Ferric Nitrocarbuization (spelled terribly I'm sure) as I haven't had time to put them through their paces. How much thickness does the process add?
.1mm

CPTKILLER
custom title: CPT Killer

Post by CPTKILLER » 31 Mar 2016, 08:17

The key is a good firm that does a prep & processing (plating), otherwise don't.