Shot my first 3-gun w/ my 5.7!

General discussion.
Sinder

Shot my first 3-gun w/ my 5.7!

Post by Sinder » 07 Oct 2014, 09:43

I have been flirting with 3-gun match ideas for a while now. Well a friend got into it as a sponsor and invited me out. Shot my first 3-gun course and had a blast! Ran the Fiveseven, KSG Shotgun, and AR-15 for my guns. The 5.7 was wonderful. experienced my first ftf with it ever in over 1500 rounds fired of course but no big deal, good training to deal with. accurate and quick. 20 cap is wonderful for the stages not requiring limited initial rounds and mandatory reloads. ** My biggest issue with the 5.7 was knocking over activator targets ** I was using cheap American Eagle ammo and despite acing headshots on the activators quickly, still couldnt knock the targets over. With EA ammo at about $2 a round... It might force me to run my FNX-45 Tactical on the stages with activators. Do you think the SS197/195 stuff would do the trick or is the EA/handloading the only way to get the extra knockdown for this? I love my 5.7 and swear by that thing, especially after how well I performed with it on accuracy and speed (including the FTF which I was shooting offhand and troubleshot offhand perfectly)

The KSG SUCKED! yup I said it and I'm eating craw on that. course I got that shotty so cheap from a raffle win it doesn't hurt my pocket book. but still... jammed up on 2/4 stages twice each. also reloading it is painful, literally. one stage required a max of 9 rounds to start with with a mandatory reload. I ran it without gloves knowing that gloves can get caught on the shell catch. well so can your cuticles. I was bloody from it by the end of the day. This is a reason this type of training is awesome though. I would have never known how bad this thing performs under a scenario unless it was when I decided to use it for a real world one.

AR-15 I was fine at, used iron sights and it wasn't my AR. I own the scar-17s and didn't want to shoot that due to round costs so i borrowed a friends. he used a different sight picture than I do. once I corrected that I was golden. I still love my scar though and will run it sometime for the sake of experience. Only reason I want an AR is to up a 5.7 upper on it >:D

What I learned!:
-my go to for home defense is fiveseven/ps90 now depending on where I am in the house now. no questions about what gun I will go to anymore.
-I can troubleshoot a FTF in a pinch! honestly hadn't trained this as much as I think I should but I did great at it. The 5.7 was my first pistol and it showed in my comfort level with it.
-Don't count on my KSG! for anything aside from looking cool anyways (and some people would debate that!). I'll be buying a Rem870/Moss500 much sooner than I was planning.
-3-gun competitions and I'd imagine any competition is WAY too much fun! Get out and do it!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Re: Shot my first 3-gun w/ my 5.7!

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Oct 2014, 12:41

:thumb:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Oct 2014, 13:31

Good to know about the KSG, I hadn't heard that & was seriously considering buying one when I got the money.

I agree on the competitions, anything that incorporates moving & shooting is a lot of fun.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 07 Oct 2014, 14:34

If you get a Mossberg, I would recommend the 590A1.

Mike

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 07 Oct 2014, 20:39

Sounds like such a blast. I have been looking but can't find anything of the sort here in the Las Vegas area.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 07 Oct 2014, 20:49

That's awesome that they let you use the FsN. Most places/clubs would not. And yeah, you won't knock over steel targets, they just don't have the energy to do so. But it's fun!

KSG is a POS
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.