Random Chronograph Q's

General discussion.
ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Random Chronograph Q's

Post by ShockedNKansas » 21 Jun 2012, 19:23

I was wondering if anybody could give me some general advice on using a chronograph outdoors and minimizing the errors or "non-reads" that occur. The instructions tell me to put tape on the rods at 4in and 6in to give me a range to aim at. I also have plastic diffusers that can be attached to rod extensions on bright sunny days. I have been shooting in the early evenings on mostly sunny days and am quite sure I am shooting between the 4 and 6 inch markers, yet I get occasional errors and can't figure out why. There are a ton of variables to consider and I'm hoping for some free advice instead of wasting boxes of ammo trying to eliminate what is causing the errors. They seem very random.

Does anybody know if if makes a difference if you shoot with the sun directly overhead (early aft) vs a bit later in the evening (like 6pm)? I have been shooting around 6pm and it is very bright outside, but the sun is not directly overhead. I don't see any shadows on the unit, but wondered if chrony's prefer sunlight that is directly overhead.

Also, do the chrony's generally like very bright light or do they prefer diffused? I tried the diffusers, but I thought it was worsening the situation. In other words, have any of you experienced better performance on cloudy days vs sunny?

And on the 4 to 6 inch issue... Is it better to be higher from the unit or closer? I know they give a range, but I wonder if it can read better at 4in vs 6? I can't seem to tell and I tried shooting high and low. I just get random errors.

Any experiential advice or answers would be appreciated.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Re: Random Chronograph Q's

Post by Esteves » 21 Jun 2012, 19:28

http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_F1M1.htm#tips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Jun 2012, 20:37

I have a Chrony F1. I always put on the diffusers regardless of weather conditions. I normally aim at the height of brass coupling things w/the longer rods on the bottom & going into the chrony itself.
I've only recently had a problem with sunlight; it was evening & the sun was at an angle. It was throwing off one or both of the sensors & quite annoying.
To fix it, I cut a target (paper plates) in half & taped them to the rods flat side down (basically a D w/curved part up), making sure the plate extended below the sensor. This ensured the wind or a bullet hitting the plate wouldn't obstruct the sensor. After that, I had no problems.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

taseal

Post by taseal » 22 Jun 2012, 12:24

There is alot of talk over at snipershide for these. it's for rifles and revolvers, but it's very accurate. it will change POI, but consistently

http://www.magnetospeed.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 22 Jun 2012, 17:38

I have that manual, but I read it again since you posted it and I noticed something new. I didn't realize that there were diff. error messages as I had only seen #2. Thanks.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 22 Jun 2012, 17:39

Rapier1772 wrote:I have a Chrony F1. I always put on the diffusers regardless of weather conditions. I normally aim at the height of brass coupling things w/the longer rods on the bottom & going into the chrony itself.
I've only recently had a problem with sunlight; it was evening & the sun was at an angle. It was throwing off one or both of the sensors & quite annoying.
To fix it, I cut a target (paper plates) in half & taped them to the rods flat side down (basically a D w/curved part up), making sure the plate extended below the sensor. This ensured the wind or a bullet hitting the plate wouldn't obstruct the sensor. After that, I had no problems.
Thanks for the insight. Solid gold! :thumb:

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 22 Jun 2012, 17:39

taseal wrote:There is alot of talk over at snipershide for these. it's for rifles and revolvers, but it's very accurate. it will change POI, but consistently

I will check it out. Thanks!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Jun 2012, 18:36

taseal wrote:There is alot of talk over at snipershide for these. it's for rifles and revolvers, but it's very accurate. it will change POI, but consistently

If it works as well as they claim, I wouldn't mind getting that thing. I didn't see if there was a rail adapter though, you can't mount it to the barrel of the FsN so another option is needed.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Jun 2012, 19:45

I sent them a message and asked about putting it on a semi-auto pistol (would love to have something like this for FsN subs). Here is what they replied:
We currently do not offer an attachment scheme for autos. We do have a custom mount that can be clamped to a bench or tri-pod if you so desire, the cost is greater thought due to the extra labor. If you are shooting free hand then it may be too difficult to align. It would look something like this...
http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/custom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps, please let us know of any more questions.
The link shows one of their sensors mounted to a plastic piece of some sort, & c-clamped into place.
:skep:
Thanks, I'll stick with my chrony.

On the plus side, they responded w/in a couple of hours. :thumb:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Aug 2012, 10:11

I think my F1 Chrony may be on its last legs... :(
Today I was out checking subsonics & a few full power loads & it came up with ~1000fps less than the other rounds. POI was the same & it cycled ok; 141.3fps out of a FsN can't be right.
Guess I'd better start saving for a new one. Smeg :facepalm:

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 02 Aug 2012, 13:14

I've found the angle of the sun can sometimes cause errors. The closer to midday the better. Sometimes the diffusers need to be removed in low-light conditions (clouds). Eventually I got tired of hoping for perfect conditions so I invested in some infrared-skyscreens and adapted them for use with batteries instead of a chord. Now I rarely get errors unless I'm too close to the chronograph and my muzzle blast causes problems. Best to stay 15 feet away if you can..

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Aug 2012, 15:12

Never had a problem shooting in the morning before. Clear day & was using diffusers just like I usually do.
The only time I've had an issue was around 6PM but that produced 'ERR1' or 'ERR2' messages. These were just ~1000fps off from where they should be.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Aug 2012, 15:28

Rapier1772 wrote:I think my F1 Chrony may be on its last legs... :(
Today I was out checking subsonics & a few full power loads & it came up with ~1000fps less than the other rounds. POI was the same & it cycled ok; 141.3fps out of a FsN can't be right.
Guess I'd better start saving for a new one. Smeg :facepalm:

I am sure you have read how I feel about them. The F1 like the pro chronoy work well for the money, stupid multi piece screen rods aside, BUT all their electronics are right there smack in the front and middle absorbing the shock waves from the 5.7x28. It's only a matter of time before they yack.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Aug 2012, 16:10

Yes, I have read your rants :laugh: & I knew it was only a matter of time until mine bit it. Although I mostly use it for subsonics & even then only about a dozen times a year so I was hoping it would last a while.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 19 May 2013, 14:07

I haven't seen anything further....but am very seriously looking at the Magnetospeed V2 as most of my reloading to date has been for rifle rounds.....has anyone had updated experience with these? Any thoughts appreciated.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 19 May 2013, 18:55

I thought that Magnetospeed unit was pretty cool as well. Most of my data collection is for rifles. I have two other chronos to use if I need them for pistols. This one looks like a snap to set up. I wouldn't need to hold up the firing line at the range while I mount a chrono to a tripod and attempt to align it. Very cool.

But is it accurate?

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 19 May 2013, 19:03

Oh... and to help the OP... I have had issues with sun shining into the sensors at an angle. It works fine if the sun is directly overhead and the diffusers are in place, or if the setup is in the shade. If the sun shines directly into the sensor pockets, it will not read consistently. I have taped 3x5 index cards as sunshields to either side of the sensors down low with success.

You might give that a try.

Mike

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 19 May 2013, 21:26

I have the Beta Master Chrony and had similar issues after using it for a couple of months. I cannot remember exactly where on the internet I found this answer but it has worked for me with no more read errors caused by lighting or shock wave issues. Take a large white poster board or a umbrella and use it like a shield on the side the sun is coming from. This works for shooting earlier and later in the day. Also try adding a smaller piece in front of the chrony that extends about 2 inches higher then the top edge of the front sensor. This supposedly helps to disrupt the shock waves from the firearm. When I first started having issues Chrony plus others told me for the 5.7 to have it at least 10-15 away to prevent read errors caused by the shock wave. I have had 2 Beta Master Chronys and they both had the same issue, except the first one died from being shot. Thank goodness for Cabella's extended warranty which covers it being shot and they replaced it with my second.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 20 May 2013, 01:23

A large part of my issue is that several of the ranges I shoot at expressly prohibit ANYTHING being set up forward of the firing line at any time WITHOUT exception so I don't have a choice....and that is a real problem when ANY outdoor range is an hour drive from where I am located...and to use an external chronograph the drive becomes 2.5 hours it becomes all but impossible which was the basis for my question. Essentially...for 5.7 it means that my testing is going to be limited to AR57. So it goes back to the core question of whether anyone has any experience with the Magnetospeed. In my case, the Beta Master Chrony is NOT an option.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 20 May 2013, 05:58

Beecher Tool wrote:So it goes back to the core question of whether anyone has any experience with the Magnetospeed.
I bit the bullet and ordered one last night. They are backordered, but I will let you know how it works when it arrives.

Mike