5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 17 Jun 2011, 21:53

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:Looking forward to it. Seems to go completely against "they" say about 296. I can't say I have ever heard of 296/h110 being used in anything resembling a reduced load :laugh:

For subs are you just going to use just 55gr fmjs or have you considered trying something heavier, like a 62gr fmj? Not sure how well those would stabilize...
I have already done a lot of testing with 296 subs - all of them have worked amazingly well... I have used mostly 55gr bullets, but have also tried some 68 grain Hornady Match HP bullets - A lot more energy can be deliverd while still remaining subsonic - I am not sure at what distance they may (or may not) start to tumble... We will see...

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 17 Jun 2011, 22:12

iFire wrote:
VeTTeMaNC486 wrote: We don't really learn much about that kinda stuff in my Electrical Engineering classes :laugh: . (Which I am finally starting to get into after taking so many freaking core classes/pre-reqs... 2 more years and counting... :D ).

iFire, if you do not mind, could you post a picture of the projectiles in question side by side (40gr vmax, 35gr nlf, 35gr nxt, and possibly the 28gr ss195), it would probably go well with our discussion.
3 years of Various Physics, 2 years of BioChemistry, 4 years of Physical Chemistry and 2 years of Organic Chemistry - Im glad college is just a memory now for me...

Good luck with your final 2 years :p

---

I have Lots of .224 bullets, including the few you mentioned - when i get the NTX's i will post a pic of as many of them as possible in a neat little line...
I'm going to need it :laugh:
I've only had 2 semesters of just basic calculus based physics. Dude teach had his doctorate's in Physics and taught the class like he was teaching a Grad level class. I didn't take much from the class, heck I was just happy to get out of the darn thing :laugh: .

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by Grantness » 18 Jun 2011, 09:30

IMO and others', H110 is not appropriate for full power 5.7x28 loads in a blowback weapon. 296 is still a question to be answered...

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 18 Jun 2011, 13:01

I shot a lot of test rounds today - Here's the Subsonic portion of the testing - The other info will make it into my data threads when i get the chance.

FsN | 5.5 grs Win 296 | 55gr Hornady FMJ | CCI 400 | SS195 Brass

N=7

Avg - 1071 fps
ES - 35 fps
SD - 15 fps

Great ejection on all shots ~ 15ft to the right - 45 degrees forward of center

I like win 296 for 55gr subs from the FsN - the best and most consistent ejection of any powder i have tested yet with 55's...

---

FsN | Win 296 | 68gr Hornady Match HP | CCI 400 | SS195 Brass

5.0grs - 941 fps
5.5grs - 1111 fps

Great ejection on both shots ~ 10ft to the right - 15 degrees forward of center

I will have to run some tests in the 5.2-5.3gr range and i should be able to hit the mark of 1050fps...

---

FsN | Win AutoComp | 68gr Hornady Match HP | CCI 400 | SS195 Brass

3.2grs - 1101 fps
3.2grs - 1101 fps
3.4grs - 1142 fps
3.4grs - 1138 fps

Great ejection on all 4 shots ~ 8ft to the right - 20 degrees forward of center

The consistency of AutoComp with the 68gr bullet was amazing - I will have to do some more tests!

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by Grantness » 18 Jun 2011, 15:39

Excellent! Im jealous... gonna have to hop back on that horse :laugh:

Prob best to leave this thread for "random questions" and discussions anyways...

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 18 Jun 2011, 16:34

Grant - I like the 5.5gr 296 load with 55's - give it a whirl if you want - It has its own trademark 'feel' to it :thumb:

The 68 gr bullets are also neat to use - at some point I am going to put them on paper to test for tumbling. I just haven't done that yet - too busy putting them through the chrony...

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 18 Jun 2011, 16:46

Grantness wrote:IMO and others', H110 is not appropriate for full power 5.7x28 loads in a blowback weapon. 296 is still a question to be answered...
I thought the two powders were the same thing?

I bet h110 would be neat with a gas operated or some other locking bolt/breach/whatever :D

Have you tried it in your T/C?

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 18 Jun 2011, 16:47

iFire wrote:I shot a lot of test rounds today - Here's the Subsonic portion of the testing - The other info will make it into my data threads when i get the chance.

FsN | 5.5 grs Win 296 | 55gr Hornady FMJ | CCI 400 | SS195 Brass

N=7

Avg - 1071 fps
ES - 35 fps
SD - 15 fps

Great ejection on all shots ~ 15ft to the right - 45 degrees forward of center

I like win 296 for 55gr subs from the FsN - the best and most consistent ejection of any powder i have tested yet with 55's...

---

FsN | Win 296 | 68gr Hornady Match HP | CCI 400 | SS195 Brass

5.0grs - 941 fps
5.5grs - 1111 fps

Great ejection on both shots ~ 10ft to the right - 15 degrees forward of center

I will have to run some tests in the 5.2-5.3gr range and i should be able to hit the mark of 1050fps...

---

FsN | Win AutoComp | 68gr Hornady Match HP | CCI 400 | SS195 Brass

3.2grs - 1101 fps
3.2grs - 1101 fps
3.4grs - 1142 fps
3.4grs - 1138 fps

Great ejection on all 4 shots ~ 8ft to the right - 20 degrees forward of center

The consistency of AutoComp with the 68gr bullet was amazing - I will have to do some more tests!
Cool :thumb:
Im curious to see if those 68grs tumble

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 18 Jun 2011, 16:52

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
Grantness wrote:IMO and others', H110 is not appropriate for full power 5.7x28 loads in a blowback weapon. 296 is still a question to be answered...
I thought the two powders were the same thing?

I bet h110 would be neat with a gas operated or some other locking bolt/breach/whatever :D

Have you tried it in your T/C?
296 and H110 are the same - they come from the same manufacturer. Variations between the two would most likely only be in lot differences...

Lil' gun, 296, Enforcer, AA#9 among several others would be really interesting in a locked breach or contender type gun :thumb: That would be fun to test...

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by Grantness » 18 Jun 2011, 17:51

Lets just say a few years back, certain people had major issues with full power H110 loads...

Actually, I've seen a lot of people use Acc#9 in blowback guns for some reason. Dunno why you would want to, cause #7 is much better suited. Enforcer too. Do not use Lil' Gun in a blowback gun.

Yea, I planned to try out all of these powders in my T/C before my problems happened and I took my leave. Now I kinda don't want to experiment so much with it b/c Im trying to sell it, and the twist rate is 1in12....so results would be impossible to correlate w/ a blowback gun. Im sure the slower twist rate also means the gun would be better suited for slower powders.

Subsonic has never particularly enticed me w/ this gun b/c if I needed to shoot and kill something quietly, I'd rather have more kinetic energy behind the bullet. However, it's always nice to have a couple loads I know will work just in case I need to do some quiet practice. I don't really have any 55gr bullets (except loaded XM293 which I'd have to pull). 52gr FB Matchking is the heaviest I have. I have some 50gr Nosler Silvertips, but so far I have not been able to get them to match the kinetic energy of the 40gr Silvertips. I suppose I could get it to go subsonic....but then there's no kinetic energy again...

I look forward to your heavy bullet tumbling tests iFire. That's a good idea. :thumb: Maybe set up several sheets of paper along the flight path to see where it starts to yaw :ponder:

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 18 Jun 2011, 18:10

Grantness wrote:Actually, I've seen a lot of people use Acc#9 in blowback guns for some reason. Dunno why you would want to, cause #7 is much better suited. Enforcer too. Do not use Lil' Gun in a blowback gun.:
Grant - Accurate #9 works relatively well actually in the PS90... I agree it's not that great in the FsN though...

The reason I liked Accurate #9 in the PS90:

1) High fill volume for beginning / cautious reloaders (cannot be double charged...)
2) Never had the magazine pop up causing a jam (I have had mag pops with AA#7)

Is AA#9 ideal? No. But it does make for some good range/plinking loads out of the PS90..

I have said this before - but there is a suprising amount of difference between the FsN and PS90 as to what works well - Likely Due both to barrel length as well as bolt/slide weight and design...

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by Grantness » 18 Jun 2011, 18:21

Im sure there are huge differences. Crossover has been a bit of a mystery until you came along. Meanwhile, Im dying to get an AR57 upper. What are the odds someone else comes along w/ an Excel that reloads too?

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 18 Jun 2011, 21:10

Grantness wrote:ahhh....Excel....wish I was that organized! Best I can do is copy smudged range notes onto the forum :laugh:
I quoted you from the Subsonic post Grant... I didnt want to clutter it with my pics there - thats what this random thread is for :laugh: Anyway...

I like the setup I have with excel - it makes managing my reloading posts SO much easier, just copy and paste and if I get more data I just add it to the excel sheet which auto calculates all of the data for me and I re-copy and paste. Its that easy :thumb:

What Excel Looks Like - The actual shot data doesnt get transfered, just the first 4 columns of data...

Image

What that translates to on the forum -

Image

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11544
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Jun 2011, 22:44

One of the things I am noticing with the new FsN reciol spring.

Ammo testing today S4M and S4
Hardly any shoulder movement at all, looks like SS195 brass.
100 fps increase in velocity. About I had a hard time getting consistent measurements out side of the noramlvaraitions
Primers where more beat up.


Looks like with the barrel held closed longer and the shoulder not moving the primer takes a beating. Lil Gun may be back in the running. Just saying.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 19 Jun 2011, 05:31

panzermk2 wrote:One of the things I am noticing with the new FsN reciol spring.

Ammo testing today S4M and S4
Hardly any shoulder movement at all, looks like SS195 brass.
100 fps increase in velocity. About I had a hard time getting consistent measurements out side of the noramlvaraitions
Primers where more beat up.


Looks like with the barrel held closed longer and the shoulder not moving the primer takes a beating. Lil Gun may be back in the running. Just saying.
100 more fps, wow thats screaming :thumb:

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 19 Jun 2011, 05:35

panzermk2 wrote:One of the things I am noticing with the new FsN reciol spring.

Looks like with the barrel held closed longer and the shoulder not moving the primer takes a beating. Lil Gun may be back in the running. Just saying.
Now, add to that the new extended FsN barrel and things will change all over again! More powder burn time in the longer barrel along with the slide held closed longer - Hello Lil'Gun, Enforcer, etc! :D

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by Grantness » 19 Jun 2011, 11:14

Perhaps I might have to buy some Acc#9 and other slower powders... 100fps....mmmm :drool: Throw in the 8" barrel and we're going to have an unstoppable platform!!

Small rifle primers are stronger (in terms of how they hold up) than Small Pistol Magnum, correct? Glue might be in order, but unless you know what you're doing...you're playing w/ fire :furious:

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 19 Jun 2011, 12:02

You could always step up to Small Rifle Magnum Primers - they have even thicker cups yet...

Maybe a powder like enforcer or AA#9, etc with a magnum primer would work well in the new 8inch barrel with the heavier spring...

Theres a lot of possibilities... :thumb:

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 19 Jun 2011, 12:36

Oh how bad I want a FsN to play with you guys. :(
Will probably be my first gift to myself when I graduate.

User avatar
iFire
Senior Member
Posts: 545
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 06:42
custom title: FsN | PS90

Re: 5.7x28 Random Reloading Discussions

Post by iFire » 19 Jun 2011, 13:20

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:Oh how bad I want a FsN to play with you guys. :(
Will probably be my first gift to myself when I graduate.
At least you have the PS90. (right?)

While the FsN is really fun to play with, the PS90 is by far and away my favorite gun/design :cool:

I have some top shelf AR's that often sit at home when I head to the range - While the AR's are 'better' in most aspects, that are not nearly as fun to play with :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests