iFire's 5.7x28mm Powder Notes

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

iFire's 5.7x28mm Powder Notes

Post by iFire » 03 Jun 2011, 09:15

I want to "discuss" some of the powders I have tried and the results I have found...

This first post is just the early "conception" of the idea. I will keep adding to it to make it more thorough :D

-------------------------

Winchester WSF:

PS90: Works great providing consistent perfomance and a low SD. Testing in the 2100-2300 fps range worked well.

FsN: Terrible. Wouldnt even eject half the time with loads that proved to be very consistent in the PS90.

Winchester AutoComp:

PS90: I have mentioned before that AutoComp works very well in the PS90 - best loads are 5.0-5.4 grs giving 2150-2300 fps

FsN: Not very happy with AutoComp in the FsN in the charge range of 5.0-5.4 - ejection is inconsistent. Higher loads work ok, but not enough to trust at this point for me without more testing.

Hodgdon HS6:

PS90: I have been pleased with the performance of HS6 - good SD's - good consistency - no problems.

FsN: good function in the FsN with several different charge amounts thus far.

Looks like HS6 could be a good "Crossover" powder - I will try and do some more tests to get more data...

Ramshot True Blue:

PS90: If the loads are @ or below 5.6 grs I believe that True Blue is a decent choice... Not the best, but decent... Above 5.6 I have seen jams and mag pops and I just wouldnt trust it....

FsN: True Blue is really great in the FsN - I have tested loads from 5.2 grains up to 6.5 grs+ with great function and consistency.

Alliant Steel:

Info coming soon...

Alliant Bullseye:

Info coming soon...

Accurate #7:

Info coming soon...

Accurate #9:

Info coming soon...

Ramshot Enforcer:

Info coming soon...

Hodgdon Longshot:

PS90: Good function and consistency - no problems or failures - good overall SD numbers

FsN: I have been pleased with the perfomance of Longshot in the FsN - good consistecy and reliability.

Longshot will be a good "Crossover" powder between the FsN and PS90...

evileye

Re: iFire's 5.7x28mm Powder Notes

Post by evileye » 03 Jun 2011, 15:53

ifire
any thoughts on winchester auto pistol powder in the FsN ???

evileye

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 03 Jun 2011, 19:50

Here's my brief 2 cents.

First off, I have no experience reloading for AR57's or PS90's:

HS7: Prob the best all around powder I know of... Discontinued a couple years ago...
Acc#7: works great in the FsN. High Velocities, fills the case well, but not a good choice for 28gr bullets.
VVN105: Excellent for >40gr bullets. Consistent. Fills the case nicely, but can't quite fit enough in the case to get the 28gr bullets going as fast as other powders.
VVN350: Not nearly as much velocity as VVN105. I've developed subsonic loads for both my FsN and T/C (using bullets as light as 45gr Sinterfires no less :) )
Longshot: Good velocities. From batch to batch I've noticed some very slight consistency issues, but nothing to be concerned about.
Alliant ProReach: Jury is still out. Some good strings, some poor strings. Not sure what's going on.
HS6: An OK powder, but velocity leaves something to be desired. iFire reports good functioning in PS90.
True Blue: Good all around powder for the FsN. Can achieve velocities approaching Longshot, Blue Dot, and HSi7. Have even heard of people making subsonic loads with it (BE CAREFUL!). iFire has reported cycling issues in the PS90.
Blue Dot: Excellent all around powder.One of the best. Fairly consistent. Very high velocities, especially with bullets over 35gr. Can start to run into capacity issues w/ light bullets.
Universal: Too fast, don't bother.
Power Pistol: Burn rate too fast for full power loads.
Lil' Gun: Too slow burning for blow-back actions.

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 03 Jun 2011, 20:35

Grantness wrote:Here's my brief 2 cents.
That's more like 10 cents worth :laugh: :thumb:

Thats all info in regards to the FsN, correct? I assume it is...

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 03 Jun 2011, 22:46

yep, Fsn ...and T/c & PS90 where mentioned...

Fotis

Post by Fotis » 08 Jan 2012, 11:12

Cool :)

s64woody

Post by s64woody » 08 Jan 2012, 15:21

Grantness: You appear to have had good luck with the AA#7. Mine has been less than thrilling. Very inconsistent, in fact, at any charge level. I am wondering about the primer, now. Fresh CCI small rifle. I wonder if they are causing the erratic performance?
I may just have to duplicate my ladders and try another primer... I have lots of Wolf on hand.

Fotis

Post by Fotis » 08 Jan 2012, 15:53

Grantness wrote:Here's my brief 2 cents.

Blue Dot: Excellent all around powder.One of the best. Fairly consistent. Very high velocities, especially with bullets over 35gr. Can start to run into capacity issues w/ light bullets.

Can you be more analytical? Bullet, powder charge, velocity? Interested in the pistol only.
Thank you