Cost to install a SBR barrel

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
towerofpower93

Cost to install a SBR barrel

Post by towerofpower93 » 23 Sep 2010, 09:59

To those of you who have had PS90 SBR barrels installed...what was the cost for your gunsmith to do it?

Trying to get a base price range to see if my gunsmith is in the ballpark.

Thanks

Eric

towerofpower93

Re: Cost to install a SBR barrel

Post by towerofpower93 » 23 Sep 2010, 10:20

satellitedr3ams wrote:nothing i did it myself, for free. (well the cost of the tools and the cold beer after) its easy peasy look up on the wiki about how to do it.
I'd love to do it myself as I'm a firm believer that home gunsmithing is the best way to learn/know the weapons you're dealing with...but me living in an apartment and not having a legit drill press, and packing up to move before an overseas deployment is forcing my hand in this endeavor.

My smith is a good guy and has done quality work for a fair price in the past, but I'm not sure if he's dealt with a job like this before. I plan on helping him and showing him the wikihow pages on how to do it exactly, just don't know if he knows how much this job "should" cost.

Thanks

Eric

jammer72

Post by jammer72 » 23 Sep 2010, 15:13

satellitedr3ams wrote:if you dont care about the barrel, just chop it off behind the blind pin then slide a dowel through the receiver to keep your springs in, then put the dowel out with the barrel, put your sleeve and comp on and torque. wa la! you are done. if you get it done "by the book" i wouldnt pay more than a hundred dollars.
Yeah takes about a minute when someone brings in a grinder with a cutoff wheel... :lmao:

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 24 Sep 2010, 11:21

I thought I'd chime in here since nobody really answered your question.

I sent mine to Tornado Tech and they charge $200 plus return shipping and that's for engraving, cutting factory barrel to length, threading & thread adapter. Keith at NFA Investments in Houston also does them for $250 and his turn around time is a lot better. There are also several other companies that offer the service but $200-300 seems to be the going rate.

And as everyone here has pointed out, you can also do it yourself. I would only recommend that if you want to learn about the ps90 and want a project. Don't do it yourself just because you want to save money you still have to pay for sending the barrel to be cut to length & threaded ($65 from hi desert dog), plus an adapter or flash hider ($60-$100), plus engraving ($50-$70).So unless you're set up to do threading, engraving & manufacture an adapter the costs can add up to $200 or more even doing it yourself. Of course you can order a new barrel from cmmg for $275 and still have to buy an adapter & engraving totaling nearly $400.

And of course the $200 stamp, but that's the same regardless of how you do it.

I was planning on doing it myself as well, but when I realized it wouldn't save me any money I just sent it to Tornado.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 24 Sep 2010, 11:30

If you already have a barrel and engraved receiver and just need it installed I would agree with satellitedr3ams, no more than $100

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 25 Sep 2010, 09:26

you dont have to engrave unless you plan on selling it or doing a bunch of em.
I've heard that before, but have never seen any BATF publication that confirms this. In sections 6 & 7 of the NFA Handbook it sounds to me like you need you're name (or trust/corp name) & city/state engraved. If you do it on a form 1, you are the manufacturer of said NFA firearm. I guess if they approve it with no info in block 4h then it's okay, but I'm no lawyer.

I'm not trying to be trollish so if you have a link to something from the BATF that confirms this I'd love to see it. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong :)

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 25 Sep 2010, 09:48

I'll have to do that.

I'm going to feel pretty stupid if I had all that info engraved on my sbr for no reason :wall:

I still think it's better to stay on the safe side if there is any question though. Better to have some markings on the receiver than end up in the big house.

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 27 Sep 2010, 19:49

I agree!! I have three SBR's and have my trust name etc. engraved in each one. My shorties, 10 and 13, are to take over the trust one day and having our last name and revocable trust engraved gives me peace of mind that we are following the rules for the long term. I have 11 tax stamps want to keep all of them!

towerofpower93

Post by towerofpower93 » 28 Sep 2010, 15:11

Got the weapon back today and it looks great. The barrel, adapter and a thread protector came from hi desert dog for 315. Cost extra since I had the adapter threaded 10x1mm for the sfn57 I'm waiting on. Cost 75 to have my smith remove the old barrel/sleeve and install the new one. Old barrel and sleeve are still in good shape (didn't even drill all the way through the blind pin) and I think I may sell it. How much would the old set up be worth?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Eric