Makes ma laugh, and want to cry. But now I have a question.

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
tejohnson
custom title: a nobody

Makes ma laugh, and want to cry. But now I have a question.

Post by tejohnson » 21 Feb 2012, 20:34

Hi All!

So I have not exactly been active here, or any form in a while, but I figured I would share a little story for a laugh. Perhaps. Then, I have a general question, because I am too lazy to search :P

First, the comedy, or horror. Pick your reaction:

I think the annotations in the video say it all, along with the video title. ;)

I was at the range with a friend, and I was going to chronograph some subsonic rounds. I stated with some factory rounds to set a baseline. I also fired a few rounds of my "hotter than factory" reloads. I was using a bore laser of my friends to help with alignment over the chrony. I moved on to testing some ProtecTOR III, and I started to get in such a hurry, because I was taking too long. That was my mistake.

So I got the alignment, I set up the camera, and then you can see the rest above. I forgot to remove the bore laser. I didn't see it at all. I have read about the magazine popping before on one of the forums. And I really did not think anything else about it. Then, I noticed that one of the rods on the chrony was bent. I was wondering to myself "What the hell? Did the Crony move?". I started looking for the bore laser... D'oh!

Looking at the barrel, you can see a ring on the inside about an inch back where there was expansion. The groups opened up considerably at only 25 yards. Not a good day, but it could have been worse. I have to hand it to Elite, the rounds are safe! LOL

So my question: I snagged a 10.3" 1:7 twist barrel from CMMG. I have seen debate on this before, but is there any concern with stability of the heavier projectiles? Namely the 55 grain? It would suck to shoot a round and have baffle strikes on my Spectre...

tejohnson

Re: Makes ma laugh, and want to cry. But now I have a quest

Post by tejohnson » 22 Feb 2012, 16:31

Anyone?

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 22 Feb 2012, 16:34

1-7 should be more than adequate to stabilize 55gr projectiles. Many people use that same twist rate for their ARs shooting the same projectile.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Feb 2012, 16:56

srt-4_jon wrote:1-7 should be more than adequate to stabilize 55gr projectiles. Many people use that same twist rate for their ARs shooting the same projectile.
..and sorry for your loss. Glad you are unhurt.

It could happen to anyone, it's hard not to get lax when you do the same actions over and over.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

tejohnson

Post by tejohnson » 22 Feb 2012, 17:11

Thanks and Thanks!

The loss is not that big of a deal. It was a good lesson learned. Folks that know me would understand how shocking it was for me to be a bit careless like that. I have always felt I have a mild case of OCD. LOL My friend blamed it on the use of a new item which was a variance from my typical method (use of the bore laser). It actually did help...

My barrel came in today actually... I had seen somewhere a wrench set that someone made to do the trick. I have quite a few tools and I could rig or fabricate a sleeve for the chambered end of the barrel to torque it down. Anyone else have any tips beyond what is in the barrel removal thread?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Feb 2012, 18:35

I think 99% of the firearm owners I have met have medium to EXTREME OCD. So, don't worry, you aren't alone.

Glad you got a new barrel, already! I really like PS90 SBR's. It's the only way to go.. actually the only way to go is FA...but that's not really doable...
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 22 Feb 2012, 19:14

Have fun getting that barrel off. Ive tried to get my CMMG flashider off for months to put my Suppressor adapter on. No Dice, it's welded it's self on there.
كاف

tejohnson

Post by tejohnson » 22 Feb 2012, 19:22

I don't think it'll be too tough. The work was originally done by TROS, where he cut and crown the original barrel, and then used their adaptor/barrel nut.

I'll try to remove it for s& g real quick, although I don't have any wrenches narrowed yet...

tejohnson

Post by tejohnson » 22 Feb 2012, 20:05

Surprisingly easy!

I only had to take a few minutes to narrow a 15mm wrench. Only had to remember "Right to loosen" :)

I may use a chop saw to cut the head off that wrench, turning it into a sleeve with octogon edges so a large socket can fit over it. Then, torquing it down should be a cinch!

TROS BBL Bottom w/ adaptor & CMMG BBL Top

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 25 Feb 2012, 05:57

I envy you, lol...
كاف