P90 internal laser

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
poseidon5

P90 internal laser

Post by poseidon5 » 13 Aug 2009, 19:58

ok, I tried searching for it, but didn't really have any luck. I saw the ones for sale from Den Trinity, but they are all sold out. I know a while ago promoted pawn was doing them. Anyone know if he still is? Or anywhere I could get the unit?

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Re: P90 internal laser

Post by Esteves » 14 Aug 2009, 20:11

Den Trinity is probably your best option, but if they're out they're out. They turn up sometimes on various auction sites.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

prc-104

Post by prc-104 » 04 Nov 2009, 21:29

I read your post and Den Trinity looked like they still had them.

I've been thinking about getting a second one but then I look at the economy (We still got one?????) and I back down again.

Still might do it (after all I still got a job, at least I did today. LOL)

I REALLY , REALLY like the DenTrinity laser.

Maybe it doesn't do what some folks want but it's done everything I've needed so far.

Then too, since I learned the hard way how to install it, the next time oughta go super easy.

Sure hope they got them but maybe I'll never know unless I try to order one. WOW! There's my excuse. ...((sure glad I'm not married))
/john

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello » 05 Nov 2009, 13:26

Do you have a link to the Den Trinity page with the correct laser?

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 05 Nov 2009, 14:07

Promoted Pawn says there are issues with the newer lasers, lasers that they can fix and install for $400. Who knows if it is real or just BS to make more money though.
كاف

prc-104

Post by prc-104 » 06 Nov 2009, 07:49

Sure glad to help. You have to do a search for <laserex> and then it comes up.
Here's the URL:
http://www.dentrinityshop.com/den_search.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C ya,
John

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello » 06 Nov 2009, 20:53

Thanks!

ZTEAMMD

Post by ZTEAMMD » 21 Dec 2009, 19:22

I am not a gunsmith, so what is the difficulty in attaching the Internal Laser to a PS90? I am suspicious that the laser is sold "without instructions." Does anyone care to share their nightmares.

DarkWater

Post by DarkWater » 22 Dec 2009, 07:22

there were some instructions on the web somewhere on how to do it. do a google searcha nd soemthign should pop up. didn't seem to difficult in general, but I have also seen some threads discussing the issues jmz is mentioning, which caused something fromt eh laser to fall apart easily and being a pain to fix...haven't looked at this for over a year as I can't justify the price of that laser at this point, maybe in the future. It is a sweet method for mounting a laser

ZTEAMMD

Post by ZTEAMMD » 22 Dec 2009, 18:27

thank you for the prompt response. It is nice to know that there are others like me out there is the cyberspace. I just wanted to "trick" out the gun so I can leave it to my sons with the collection of black weapons I have accumulated.

mptoledo

Post by mptoledo » 23 Dec 2009, 12:30

I have been researching the subject also. I like the idea of a concealed system with a nice little button under the trigger guard. I am having second thoughts though, due to the Price and quality issues. I also would like a more accessible battery compartment. I don't really like the idea of opening my gun.

I am leaning towards the front quadrail, which in my opinion will enhance the look of my gun and hide that hideous long barrel. You can get them for around $40. Yep after much research I have found that the airsoft version is identical to the $699 version. Here is the site I started on the subject http://fnforum.net/cheap-quadrail-for-t ... 18382.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I hope I am aloud to post other forums on here, if not, sorry in advance).

I am still keeping the internal laser on the back burner so please keep us updated on any findings. :thumb:

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 20 May 2010, 21:49

So, does anyone know if Lazerex fixed their laser quality? Sounds like they were having a bad production run, in both versions of the laser..

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 21 May 2010, 20:27

but the quad rail is... well to me its not.. well, not the most aesthetically appealing addition to a ps90

I think the best way to go would to buy a small laser and attach it to the side with a picitanny rail. The shop i bought my ps90 at had them, expensive little buggers, but very compact and bright, with steady or pulsing modes. Was probably about the size of 9v battery but much thinner. Can't remember the name of it.

This makes it easy to access, it doesn't stick out terribly like alot of lasers and is kick butt. Wish i bought one.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 22 May 2010, 06:19

It's not the rail mount laser I hate... it's the switch.... I don't care for the wires, and pressure switch that you gotta find a home for... whereas the internal has the sweet internal grip controls.

The internal is less bulky, and more covert... which IMO is the opposite of 'tacticool'..

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 May 2010, 15:35

Internal laser is just under the barrel. External laser is up on the receiver - couple inches from the barrel. Constantly adjusting for parallax sucks
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 22 May 2010, 20:37

Yeah... it's pricy as hell... thats sorta why I was wondering if they had fixed their production run... They couldn't have kept sending those out to LE for long..

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 21 Jun 2010, 07:01

I have one on order with Den Trinity and got the Tracking number this morning. I'll try to post pic's of the package as I get it. I'm a former AF electronics tech, and worked electronics on a DOD ground based ROV, so I should have no problem installing it and upgrading the laser diode if need be.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 21 Jun 2010, 14:30

Yeah.. please post a tutorial... it would be MUCH appriciated. :)

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 21 Jun 2010, 16:02

There were some good ones here and on some other sites but the pictures are down due to the age.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 21 Jun 2010, 19:54

Usage (not installation) tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Adjust/zero-the- ... N-P90/PS90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Installation tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-the-Lase ... an-FN-PS90" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 21 Jun 2010, 20:33

The part that I'm interested in is increasing the durability of the lense :)

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 22 Jun 2010, 08:39

Those tutorials are fine but they would be great if they were supplemented with photo's.

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 23 Jun 2010, 09:38

Got the laser in today. It will problely take me a few weeks to get it installed. I have to figure out if I want the battery in the stock or the grip and have to get the right bits for the holes. Does anybody know the sizes that I need? I have a dial caliper that I can use if I have too but I'd rather go with somebody elses personal experience.

They used potting compound to seal up all of the electronics so if the diode is going to be replaced it will have to be sacrified. A steady hand and a dremil tool is problely the best bet, unless somebody has a better way.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 23 Jun 2010, 12:22

If I remember, it's not the diode that's the problem... it's the lense.. or are they one, and the same?

DarkWater

Post by DarkWater » 23 Jun 2010, 12:53

I think it's the lens coming off from the diode if you are not ultra careful when installing it...but i migth be wrong, was a long time ago i read about it

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 23 Jun 2010, 16:12

I'll see if I can get some more detailed pics of the parts on Friday. I'd do it sooner but I'm working two jobs and have little time right now. In summary after looking at the parts I bet that I could do it better and maybe cheaper. There really just isn't a whole lot to it. The most complex part is the AL laser housing and that could be prototyped for a different laser, (maybe even a green one) and then either have a mold made for MIM or just CNC it. I'm guessing that the original one is CNC'ed. All the other parts are just off the shelf stuff fabbed together and then sealed up with potting compound...

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 18 Jul 2010, 11:23

I got the laser installed and it is not a job for the faint of heart... Those big holes are impossible to drill with a large drill bit because the bit catches the plastic and drifts. I had to stop what I was doing a wait a few days to get in a new drill bit. The solution is to use a Uni-Bit. This bit is a stepped cone that helps out because the bit is allways centered correctly. It was pretty straight forward after I got the drill bit thing taken care of. On another note I bought a few lasers and a laser power meter. The Laserex laser from Den Trinity on high measured 6.825mw and on low it was 1.68mw so I may just leave it as is. These power readings were with the supplied battery, they may be higher with a new one of know quality.

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 18 Jul 2010, 15:40

Promoted Pawn does a conversion service. If I were to do it I would have to buy a couple of empty stocks first then drill the holes and just swap them out depending on the condition of the buyers stock. To do this right takes lots of patience and nerves. You only get one chance. I defently would not even attempt to do it on somebody elses stock without a few spares hanging around. I got lucky with mine getting it right the first time, and if I did it again I would defently do an even better job.

I'm playing around with lasers now and like I said earlyer it might be possible to do this in green... But there are a few things that make green lasers harder to do than red. First off a green laser does not start off as green. It starts off at a wavelength twice as long, so to get a 532nm green laser you need a 1064nm laser which is in the infrared region. It then goes thru an optical process to halve the wavelength and you get green. The downsides are to get 5mw of green you need a much more powerfull IR laser to start. With a more powerfull laser comes higher heat and larger power supplies or reduced runtime. Another dangerouse downside is some of the IR light still comes out of the laser and this can be dangerous. High quality green lasers have filters to block the residual ir light and the filters are availible to do this I just need to find some. I bought some surplus green diodes on eBay but I do not know the power or wavelength. When I get time I'll play with them, and see if it's possible to create a green laser system for the P90. I've also emailed Laserex to see if I could get the front assmebly of the laser system minus the diodes. I just need the front plate lens and aluminum diode holder, but so far no response from them.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 18 Jul 2010, 15:43

I would be interested in buying a kit that has had the lense re-set as needed to ensure durability in a real firearm enviorment. I'd happily assume the risk of cutting my own holes in the stock and installing it. I just don't want to buy the thing and have it break after 50 rounds...

:)
- THe GreAt RaYHoLIo!

kalikraven

Post by kalikraven » 18 Jul 2010, 17:29

Talk to Promoted Pawn about getting the lense taken care of. I'd like to see some pictures of what's happening, mine is fine... for now.

blkbd

Post by blkbd » 03 Aug 2010, 16:23

would love to see pics of the install if you have them.

4thPointOfContact

Post by 4thPointOfContact » 05 Aug 2010, 13:51

What are chances of putting the battery box in the rear compartment? (the one you can see when removing the trigger group)

blkbd

Post by blkbd » 06 Aug 2010, 14:05

4thPointOfContact wrote:What are chances of putting the battery box in the rear compartment? (the one you can see when removing the trigger group)
If you can solder or crimp two wires then it would be pretty good.
When "Promoted Pawn" did the installs that was a option.

JumpedtheShark

Post by JumpedtheShark » 03 Sep 2010, 10:20

Wow. I am super impressed to see someone take this on upon themselves. It is too bad that FN won't sell a version of the PS90 with the laser installed. I suppose they'd add $300-$500 on the price tag, unfortunately.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 03 Sep 2010, 18:48

JumpedtheShark wrote:Wow. I am super impressed to see someone take this on upon themselves. It is too bad that FN won't sell a version of the PS90 with the laser installed. I suppose they'd add $300-$500 on the price tag, unfortunately.
Probably more than that. The P90LVs are about $1K higher than the comparable P90.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

JumpedtheShark

Post by JumpedtheShark » 03 Sep 2010, 19:16

Wow. I did not realize it was that much higher. Ouch!

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 04 Sep 2010, 09:21

Yeah, they're more expensive due to the fact that the laser being used is a higher power laser than that you would get from buying it off the shelf.