5.7mm pocket pistol?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Valorius
Banned
Posts: 615
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 17:32
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by Valorius » 14 Apr 2010, 20:52

Here's a couple pictures of it.

Image

Image

Image

Make me an offer. (with or without the one of a kind Burris Fastfire II and mount. :)

gjeto
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 04:42

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by gjeto » 16 Apr 2010, 04:49

and how about boberg system guns? i think that w. be nice cc pistol.
here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-DATym2 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valorius
Banned
Posts: 615
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 17:32
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by Valorius » 16 Apr 2010, 10:30

I was just looking at those the other day. Very complex operating system, but also extremely compact as well.

2ndAMVa
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:41
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by 2ndAMVa » 02 Jun 2011, 06:58

I'm not tall and I have a slight build. I'm able to easily conceals an FN 5.7 with a holster I made because I designed it to make the long and thick grip to hug very close to the body, canted at the right angle, carried at 4 o'clock with a light jacket and even a loose t-shit or sport shirt that is colored or thick enough not to see through. It is the grip that one needs to pay attention to.

Since I make my own holsters (I'm not a commercial holster maker...I have a good day job, but leather work is my favorite hobby), I was able to design a holster that works for me. A friend of mine who is tall and heftier tried my holster, and the concealability was even better.

It's all mainly in the holster and partially type/material of outside clothing.

I enjoy carrying the lighter FN 5.7 over my 1911 full size steel pistols (that want to pull my pants down with the weight).

With the right holster, if you can conceal a 5" 1911, you can just as easily conceal an FN 5.7.

My favorite concealed carry pair : FN 5.7 in a concealed holster, and a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster as backup. Very few scenarios that I can't cover with that combination, or one of the two.

2ndAMVa
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:41
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by 2ndAMVa » 02 Jun 2011, 07:13

Oh yes, when there is company around the house and yard, I sometimes carry the HK P7...only because it is the only gun design that goes from VERY SAFE to SINGLE-ACTION DEADLY in an instant (squeeze-cocking). It adds an extra margin of safety in a domestic environment where there are varied and multi-tasking activities (my wife's to-do list for me) and distractions (dog, children, doorbell, etch..).

But my favorite CCW pair are still the FN 5.7 and Kahr PM9.

Except when I'm hunting with a bow or muzzleloader where there may be bears...then, I take my 4" 44 magnum Mountain Gun (S&W), loaded with Garrett Hammerheads that can give one a heck of a carpal tunnel wrist problem.

I've been surprised by the versatility of the FN 5.7 (the latest, is the clever bipod attachment), but I cannot conceive of it as a Bear-defense gun. I would not trust my ability to shoot a bear in the eyes with a 5.7 while he's charging at me. I've never been that type of a gambling man. yes, I've heard of true accounts of bears killed when shot in the eye through the brain with a .22, but the odds for me would be slim to none.

Maybe if EA can conjure an exploding grenade bullet or a bullet with an instant-acting nerve poison...but that's simply daydreaming.

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 02 Jun 2011, 13:26

gjeto mentioned:
"and how about boberg system guns? "

GONRA is on BOBERG's list 'cause its a
Really Crazy Item for my Reference Collection.
If they really PRODUCE and SELL ,
will eventually have one to testfire and report back.
Don't hold yer breath on this one...

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 29 Sep 2011, 13:32

GONRA's Boberg will be shipped in 9 weeks.
Will testfire and report back.

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11552
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Sep 2011, 14:05

I am watching the animation of their feed mechanism.

Damn if I have not seen that before. I have and it's driving me crazy since I can't remember where. I think is was some form of auto feeder on a tanks main gun.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by blueorison » 29 Sep 2011, 22:55

GONRA wrote:GONRA's Boberg will be shipped in 9 weeks.
Will testfire and report back.
Congrats, GONRA.

I was going to be order #69 :)

I couldn't afford it, so I requested that he skip me. I'm still on the list for the full-sized. Were you part of the first or second order release?

I was one of the early-birds to support his ideas, and he is an ingenious and honest engineer. And a very nice person!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 30 Sep 2011, 13:48

GONRA's Boberg appears to be the "second production run" of some kind.
(Didn't pay much attention to these details.
Its just such a CRAZY addition to my Junqe Pyle.)
Am getting confused on Boberg shipping - might be in a few days
instead of 9 weeks? ???
Looks like 90% of their back order list "chickened out" when $$$ are required?
Not sure of this either - difficult to sort it all out from their web site! ???
DO NOT get involved in the Social Network part of Boberg's web site.
(Unless you wanna make "some new girl friends".) Watchout!

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by blueorison » 30 Sep 2011, 19:02

I hope he removes those who backed out off of his Fullsized pistol preorder list.

It's expected that people will flake out. They always do.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 19 Nov 2011, 13:15

GONRA received the 9mm XR9-S Boberg pistol a few days ago.
An authentic “mechanical marvel” fellas! First class fabrication.
From their website http://www.bobergarms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; looks like its “taking off” as a “gun to buy”.

Shot several 5 round filled magazines of my usual 9mm Elderly Luger handloads also
hotter UZI Full Auto Blasting handloads. (OOPS! There goes the Factory Warrenty!)
Frequently hadan issue with “first round chambering”
(just hit slide with left hand to complete chambering)
that probably is a “breaking in” or “be careful to do the right thing” dealie
that I haven’t completely mastered yet.

You tough guys will have to supply any Rambo Type “evaluation”
with +P (and worse) ammo, special holsters, concealment issues, laser sights,
flash lites, potential for a Full Auto Switch, etc.

Have fun with your shiny new Boberg’s fellas! Get ‘em whilst ya’ll can!
Looks like Boberg Arms will “buck history” and continue on to a huge success!
(Startup gun ventures CAN vaporize overnite!) (Remember AUTOMAG?)

Meanwhile, will have lottsa fun verkin’ on the First Round Chambering issue,
checking over my Prize Winning Handloads for free chambering, etc..

nrv216
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: 09 Jun 2011, 18:23

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by nrv216 » 19 Nov 2011, 21:08

panzermk2 wrote:I am watching the animation of their feed mechanism.

Damn if I have not seen that before. I have and it's driving me crazy since I can't remember where. I think is was some form of auto feeder on a tanks main gun.
taken from their website:

These type of mechanisms had been successfully used in past weapons, but only in machine guns designed by Hiram Maxim, John M. Browning and others. The famous Browning 1919 machine gun is an example of a very reliable weapon of war using a pull-back feed mechanism. The first attempt at pull-back feeding in a pistol was done in the Mars pistol, just before the turn of the 20th century.

Is that what you were thinking of?

nrv216

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11552
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by panzermk2 » 20 Nov 2011, 14:14

nrv216 wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:I am watching the animation of their feed mechanism.

Damn if I have not seen that before. I have and it's driving me crazy since I can't remember where. I think is was some form of auto feeder on a tanks main gun.
taken from their website:

These type of mechanisms had been successfully used in past weapons, but only in machine guns designed by Hiram Maxim, John M. Browning and others. The famous Browning 1919 machine gun is an example of a very reliable weapon of war using a pull-back feed mechanism. The first attempt at pull-back feeding in a pistol was done in the Mars pistol, just before the turn of the 20th century.

Is that what you were thinking of?

nrv216
No those above are to general and can be applied to any machine gun. No there is something in the specific details that remind me of a down sized design.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 07 Dec 2011, 14:23

GONRA’s following up on the Boberg pistol mentioned previously.
>> 3 important items below: <<

>> Item #1. <<
Field stripped pistol and reassembled with Molycoat (purchased decades ago)
(Molybdenum disulfide MoS2 ) grease at all key heavy duty sliding friction points.
As you know, this grease is Very Dirty.
NOT recommended for Stalwarts who carry or eyeballers who want the pistol to Remain Pretty.

Modern pistols frequently have stainless steel or aluminum alloy parts that can gall like crazy
if NOT lubed PROPERLY.
Many high priced CLEAR LIQUID “anti-galling” greases are available.
BUT - have no idea which ones Really Verk. !!!
Would appreciate any lube guy out there who can responsibily comment on these Modern Lubes.
(Long ago, contacted old Lubrication Consultant guy at work when I got my .44 AMP Auto Mag.
He said MoS2 is the time honored “anti-galling” grease” to use for stainless-on-stainless, etc.)

>> Item #2. <<
Practiced cocking Boberg pistol robustly –
jerking back slide as fast as possible to a definite clunk stop.
Website sez this is Very Important to reliably chamber the first round from the magazine.
(Just Like your Steyr AUG! !!!)
Ended up gymasticating Boberg action about a zillion times to verk in MoS2 particles
into sliding surfaces.

>> Item #3: <<
Used fresh commercial Winchester 115 grain Q4173 and
American Eagle 147 grain AE9FP ammo.

Shootin’ Results - incorporating all three items:

Mechanically complex Boberg action functions SMOOOTH as butter.
Loads, functions, shoots PERFECTLY!

Have no idea which of the 3 items are important.
Probably ALL THREE? ???

FNtacticalNUT
Junior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: 10 Nov 2011, 13:47
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA
Location: Charlottesville VA

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 07 Dec 2011, 18:18

Well if KEL-TEC is interested count me out. They suck. They mislead us to believe they are great. But when the proof is in the puddin they do not deliever. Where are all of the PMR30's they promised. Even though it is a piece of crap. But none the less where are all of those KSG shotguns. They are only opened from Mon-FRI from 10am -3 pm with a lunch.
What a company!!!!!

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by blueorison » 07 Dec 2011, 19:59

GONRA wrote:GONRA’s following up on the Boberg pistol mentioned previously.
>> 3 important items below: <<

>> Item #1. <<
Field stripped pistol and reassembled with Molycoat (purchased decades ago)
(Molybdenum disulfide MoS2 ) grease at all key heavy duty sliding friction points.
As you know, this grease is Very Dirty.
NOT recommended for Stalwarts who carry or eyeballers who want the pistol to Remain Pretty.

Modern pistols frequently have stainless steel or aluminum alloy parts that can gall like crazy
if NOT lubed PROPERLY.
Many high priced CLEAR LIQUID “anti-galling” greases are available.
BUT - have no idea which ones Really Verk. !!!
Would appreciate any lube guy out there who can responsibily comment on these Modern Lubes.
(Long ago, contacted old Lubrication Consultant guy at work when I got my .44 AMP Auto Mag.
He said MoS2 is the time honored “anti-galling” grease” to use for stainless-on-stainless, etc.)

>> Item #2. <<
Practiced cocking Boberg pistol robustly –
jerking back slide as fast as possible to a definite clunk stop.
Website sez this is Very Important to reliably chamber the first round from the magazine.
(Just Like your Steyr AUG! !!!)
Ended up gymasticating Boberg action about a zillion times to verk in MoS2 particles
into sliding surfaces.

>> Item #3: <<
Used fresh commercial Winchester 115 grain Q4173 and
American Eagle 147 grain AE9FP ammo.

Shootin’ Results - incorporating all three items:

Mechanically complex Boberg action functions SMOOOTH as butter.
Loads, functions, shoots PERFECTLY!

Have no idea which of the 3 items are important.
Probably ALL THREE? ???
Who knows? Too many variables. Could be combinations of some, etc. From experience, don't mess with what works!!!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 23 Mar 2014, 05:04

Looong ago: gjeto mentioned:
"and how about boberg system guns? "
GONRA's .45 ACP Boberg should be shipped in June, 2014.

JoJo
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: 07 Nov 2011, 09:07

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by JoJo » 25 Mar 2014, 08:36

Old topic but I just reread the whole thread. I still lust for a 5.7 pocket gun. Something on the order of the NAA Black Widow!

I have practiced quite a bit with my Black Widow and the single action has become instinctive. A four round single action 5.5 revolver would mandate an immediate purchase. BTW, A 4" barrel would be manageable.

GONRA
Junior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: 25 Feb 2010, 14:33

Re: 5.7mm pocket pistol?

Post by GONRA » 12 Jul 2014, 13:15

GONRA's .45 ACP Boberg should/may be in the first batch of the couple dozen pictured on Boberg's Arms' website.
These will be shipped Monday July 14, 2014. We'll see.....

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests