3-round burst Five seveN

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

spyderco monkey

3-round burst Five seveN

Post by spyderco monkey » 08 Aug 2016, 21:26

There's a very interesting discussion going on over at The Firearm Blog, about the viability of a new "Machine Pistol" design:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... -possible/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By far the best one ever created was the Colt SCAMP, which was the FN Five Seven of the 1960's: chambered in 5.56x29, it fired a 40gr bullet at 2100fps out of a 7" barrel (sound familiar :) ) and used a 1500rpm 3-round burst + compensator to remain stable.

This got my imagine rolling. Since the SCAMP was basically a 7" barreled 5.7x28, and worked quite well in testing - why not create a 3-round burst FN Five Seven? With a modified follower to hold 21 rounds, it would offer 7 3-round bursts, delivering over 900 ft/lbs of energy in 0.15 seconds. Given the low recoil of the 5.7x28, it would likely still be fairly accurate at 7-10 yards.

I doubt FN is really interested, but for the sake of discussion, how hard would it be to re-design the FsN to have a 3-round burst selector? And would the selector have to be located on the slide, or could the factory safety be replaced with the burst selector?

And before anyone asks, no, I'm not planning on building one in my basement - at least not until I get a class 7 SOT in a few years.

CPTKILLER
custom title: CPT Killer

Re: 3-round burst Five seveN

Post by CPTKILLER » 09 Aug 2016, 07:59

OK, maybe.

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 12 Aug 2016, 09:44

I have been thinking about the integration of a 3 round burst in the Five Seven for a loooooooooong time! I think it would prove to be quite effective for Military and police.

spyderco monkey

Post by spyderco monkey » 14 Aug 2016, 13:07

bruteandbear1 wrote:I have been thinking about the integration of a 3 round burst in the Five Seven for a loooooooooong time! I think it would prove to be quite effective for Military and police.
I think it would be really effective as well, frankly I'm surprised FN hasn't tested it out.

I think the easiest method of testing the concept would be for a class 7 manufacturer to convert a FsN to FA, and then test it out loaded w/ 3 rounds in the magazine. See if it is in fact controllable / accurate out to 10 yards. Possibly w/ a compensator on the barrel. Given the extremely high pressure/amount of gas produced by the 5.7x28, I think a comp could work really well, similar to how it works so well with .38 Super and 9mm Major.

If it turns out that the 3 rounds FA worked well, videos and data could be provided to FN and see if they were interested in it.

Ultimately while we will never get ahold of one, it's in all our interests that 5.7x28 weapons gain ground in the LEO/Mil market. This will help further development with cartridge and ammunition; conversely, if development remains within the niche of enthusiasts, 5.7x28 might be relegated to the fate of great but ultimately niche cartridges such as .357 Sig and 10mm.

Whereas if the 3-round burst FsN became a popular sidearm with LEO's and major militaries / SF units, the round would likely start to gain serious traction.