Pretty damn depressed and had a weak moment

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Pretty damn depressed and had a weak moment

Post by ShockedNKansas » 14 Apr 2014, 21:06

I hardly use my FsN anymore due to the fact that I can't justify shooting ammo that has an economic value of a dollar or greater per round. As many on here know, I have the fixed sight model which is set from the factory for SS195. Well since I can no longer get any more SS195, I just keep it sealed up in the can. I used to buy it for 21/box before the Obummer mess and could justify lighting up three boxes or so at my local USPSA every month. I felt like that range time and a few drills at home kept me sharp enough to safely CCW the weapon.

Fast-forward to today and I haven't been to the range in over a year and CCW the FsN much less often. So a couple nights ago I'm sitting here in my kitchen and I'm like, "WTF am I still carrying (or trying to carry) a weapon that I can't practice with without spending what would be 150.00 worth of ammo?" I start to ponder the idea of carrying a standard caliber weapon. I delighted in the thought of being able to pick up a "white box" of practice ammo at my local Wal-Mart for .30/round or so and having an unlimited amount of fine defensive choices locally or online.

But, being the kind of guy that would buy an FsN in the first place, I knew my replacement would have to be unusual, sexy if you will.. in some sort of way. My first thought was the .357SIG. Damn nice caliber, uses the same concept of higher speed, lighter projectile, just like the FsN. But this round doesn't behave like the 5.7 and there have been reports of over-penetration issues. That sucks. Also, the .357SIG isn't exactly the type of round you will find easily and cheaply. That sucks. Then I looked at the weapon choices for that caliber; there's the SIG229, but I'm a lefty and have grown found of the ambidextrous controls of my FsN. That sucks. What about capacity? The 229 only carries 12, I'm used to carrying 20(+1). That sucks. And then there's the weight.. I've been spoiled by how light my FsN is to carry. A fully loaded 229 is nearly twice as heavy as my FsN fully loaded. That really sucks. Wait! A Glock is a bit lighter.................lol no. Switching from the FsN to a Glock would be akin to going from filet mignon to a McDonald's "all beef" patty.

So what have I learned during my moment of weakness? I've learned that I love my FsN and there really is no gun like it. As happy as I was shooting my SS195 in my low-profile, fixed sight equipped gun, I am willing to spring for some bigger adjustable sights and start shooting that AE crap just so I can keep carrying my favorite weapon. Of course my S4M is going to shoot about 9 miles higher if I ever have to use it in self-defense. *sigh* I'm getting depressed again. Any hope that SS195 is going to come back?

On another note, I just bought a new FNX 45 with three 15 round mags!!! If I could EVER give up my FsN for CCW, it would be for this sweet girl. Of course I would have to convince myself that carrying around a loaded brick is fun. Not.

I can't ever give up my Five-seveN until I've fired the last round of 5.7x28mm left on earth.

Thanks for listening.

SnK

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Re: Pretty damn depressed and had a weak moment

Post by bruteandbear1 » 16 Apr 2014, 15:02

U can do what i do. I sight in my mk2 with ss197. I have a crimson trace 203 green laser. I sighted in my reloaded 28 grain bullets( pulled ss195lf). I only have about 400 rounds left of my reloaded ss195 for self defense. Im going to end up reloading the 1X brass With The 40 Grain V-max I Want To Get Them Going About 1900 FPS Reliably And Sight In My adjustable Sights With That Because The V-max Are Pretty Devastating. So I Would Say Put Ur Head Up Man The SS197 Is Nit As Good As The SS195, It Certainly Can Be Used In Self Defense.

Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 » 16 Apr 2014, 23:23

I hardly use my FsN anymore due to the fact that I can't justify shooting ammo that has an economic value of a dollar or greater per round. As many on here know, I have the fixed sight model which is set from the factory for SS195. Well since I can no longer get any more SS195, I just keep it sealed up in the can. I used to buy it for 21/box before the Obummer mess and could justify lighting up three boxes or so at my local USPSA every month. I felt like that range time and a few drills at home kept me sharp enough to safely CCW the weapon.

Fast-forward to today and I haven't been to the range in over a year and CCW the FsN much less often. So a couple nights ago I'm sitting here in my kitchen and I'm like, "WTF am I still carrying (or trying to carry) a weapon that I can't practice with without spending what would be 150.00 worth of ammo?" I start to ponder the idea of carrying a standard caliber weapon. I delighted in the thought of being able to pick up a "white box" of practice ammo at my local Wal-Mart for .30/round or so and having an unlimited amount of fine defensive choices locally or online.
Just think positive. Surely, you will solve and find an answers for that problems.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 17 Apr 2014, 18:37

SnK...

I've got a safe full of various arms. Rifles of all calibers from .17 to 45-70, and handguns from 4.25mm (a "Lilliput") through the Dirty Harry .44Mag to .45 Colt, and almost a continuum in between. At various times, I muse about selling one or more, followed by which one(s) would I sell. In every case, I decide that the two I would not sell come hell or high water, would be my 5.7 and my PS90. I don't shoot them very often but when I do, I enjoy it immensely. And if it ever came time that I really needed something to shoot because it was important for me to do that, it would be the 5.7 caliber.

So handload to save on ammo costs if you can, but my suggestion is to hang on to that 5-7....

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 19 Apr 2014, 11:43

bruteandbear1 wrote:U can do what i do. I sight in my mk2 with ss197. I have a crimson trace 203 green laser. I sighted in my reloaded 28 grain bullets( pulled ss195lf). I only have about 400 rounds left of my reloaded ss195 for self defense. Im going to end up reloading the 1X brass With The 40 Grain V-max I Want To Get Them Going About 1900 FPS Reliably And Sight In My adjustable Sights With That Because The V-max Are Pretty Devastating. So I Would Say Put Ur Head Up Man The SS197 Is Nit As Good As The SS195, It Certainly Can Be Used In Self Defense.
That's a good idea, maybe I should get a laser for my pistol. I would have to modify my CrossBreed holster but I wouldn't have to change my fixed sights. I only used the SS195 for practice and I don't have to worry about using SS197 for SD because I have quite a bit of Elite's best offerings. My issue is that I don't have a cheap source of practice ammo that shares a similar POA-POI to the rounds I carry for self defense.

I have been tempted several times to try my hand at the reloading game, but since I don't have any experience reloading any other cartridges, I would need to learn EVERYTHING before I even attempted to load my first 5.7 round.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 19 Apr 2014, 11:48

ddouglas wrote:SnK...

I've got a safe full of various arms. Rifles of all calibers from .17 to 45-70, and handguns from 4.25mm (a "Lilliput") through the Dirty Harry .44Mag to .45 Colt, and almost a continuum in between. At various times, I muse about selling one or more, followed by which one(s) would I sell. In every case, I decide that the two I would not sell come hell or high water, would be my 5.7 and my PS90. I don't shoot them very often but when I do, I enjoy it immensely. And if it ever came time that I really needed something to shoot because it was important for me to do that, it would be the 5.7 caliber.

So handload to save on ammo costs if you can, but my suggestion is to hang on to that 5-7....
I don't think I would ever sell my 5.7 weapons, I was only considering changing my FsN out for something else to CCW. I haven't decided to do that either.

I did receive my new FNX 45 the other day with THREE 15 round mags for just a few pennies over 600 bucks. What a beautiful, ambidextrous weapon for an amazing price!! If it only weighed about 9lbs less it would be perfect for me to carry. It is basically the exact same size as the FsN as well and I have no problem concealing it as I am a pretty big dude.

bruteandbear1

Post by bruteandbear1 » 20 Apr 2014, 21:31

Well do a lot of research on here on how To reload And Always Start Low And Work Your Way Up. If I Were You I would Buy Some Adjustable Sights Sight It In For Whatever Round You Want Buy A Laser Get It Sighted In For Your Self Defense Rounds. Im Just Pitching Ideas Because I Know Your Situation As I And Many On This Forum Are In The Same Boat Unfortunately

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 22 Apr 2014, 11:43

bruteandbear1 wrote:Well do a lot of research on here on how To reload And Always Start Low And Work Your Way Up. If I Were You I would Buy Some Adjustable Sights Sight It In For Whatever Round You Want Buy A Laser Get It Sighted In For Your Self Defense Rounds. Im Just Pitching Ideas Because I Know Your Situation As I And Many On This Forum Are In The Same Boat Unfortunately
I just hate fuxing around with adjustable sights at the range which is why I only practiced with the 28grain bullet. Now a laser with some kind of set adjustment points would be really cool and easy. I generally don't shoot much beyond 20 yards anyway.

2ndAMVa

Post by 2ndAMVa » 22 Apr 2014, 20:30

I go to the range with my Walther PPQ 9mm. Shoot that for a while. Then, before I leave, I load 10 rds of SS197 and enjoy every shot. That seems to help ease the pangs.

DmL5

Post by DmL5 » 25 Apr 2014, 22:53

I don't know about SS195, but SS197 and AE5728 seem to be getting a lot cheaper lately, which is good to see.

Have you looked into SS198? It's not exactly cheap, but prices seem a bit lower for that too lately, and it's good ammo.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 27 Apr 2014, 13:12

DmL5 wrote:I don't know about SS195, but SS197 and AE5728 seem to be getting a lot cheaper lately, which is good to see.

Have you looked into SS198? It's not exactly cheap, but prices seem a bit lower for that too lately, and it's good ammo.
That's a good point. SS198 is indeed a better deal right now than SS195. But at 32+ a box, that's like plinking with .45 Fed HST. I think I might create a hybrid solution with your idea and 2ndAMV's. When at the range, I will practice double taps, trigger control, etc. with AE spending the majority of the time at 10yards or less, and then finish off the session with half a mag of SS198 to reacquaint myself with the POI. It's not perfect, but I think it is the most sensible in my situation. As far as the local USPSA, I think I will have to hold off for a while because moving quickly and firing in a more realistic manner - at much longer distances than typical SD - will probably screw me up if I do that with 40gr ammo. I think the POA/POI with S4M vs 197 is 12-14 inches at 25 yards. That's a crazy differential. With AE it would be even worse.

bruteandbear1

Post by bruteandbear1 » 27 Apr 2014, 13:58

ShockedNKansas you need to def. get some adjustable sights for your FSN. I would recommend getting some ss198 if you are going to stick with your fixed sights because the POI would probably be pretty close.